New here!!!

Options
I saw the Dr. Oz show yesterday and was interested in the Dash Diet. I am hoping to find the book at the store tomorrow when I go out. It sounds very good. I am one that has tried every diet under the sun and have had up and down successes. If I find the book tomorrow I will start reading it right away and hopefully can start soon. My goal is to lose 20 pounds by the end of the year.

Replies

• lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find something that wil work! I saw the Dr. Oz show and I just know decided to go back and read more about what the Dash Diet was all about. I also read a lot of the review on Amazon for the different Dash Diet books. This review convinced me that I need to try this diet even though I don't have high blood pressure:

"I have been on the DASH diet for 6 weeks now. I am a 45 year old man who needed to lose 55 pounds according to the BMI. I am on medication for blood pressure and cholesterol. In six weeks I've lost 21 pounds, my blood pressure has dropped by 15 points and my cholesterol has dropped by 60 points! I've rarely been hungry while on the diet. As a matter of fact, I usually have trouble eating all of the food that is on the day's menu because I am full before the end of the meal."

I'm 46 and I have been counting calories and exercising for 6 weeks an I have nothing to show for it, so I lost my motivation and gained more weight after I stopped going to the gym and counting calories! I'm looking for a lifestyle change that I can live with and I'm hoping this is it. The hard part for me is getting my husband and my 14 year old daughter on board.

I dont have the book yet, but I plan on downloading it on my Kindle when I get home and hopefully I can get started soon.

I can see that this group started in the beginning of February, but there have been no updates since then. I would love to know how things are going for everyone.
  • henschm
    henschm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am a 50 year old female on my third day of the DASH diet and am still trying to adjust. I had a small slip on day one, another small slip on day 2 and today - NO SLIPS!!! Phase One of the program limits starches and sugars, and I truly think I am addicted to both of those so it has been a real shift for my thinking. I seem to automatically gravitate to bread as a staple so thinking about veggies and protein as the staple instead is a mind shift.
    I am following the plan in the book “The DASH DIET Weight Loss Solution”. I am motivated to continue as my blood pressure is nearing the stage when I should consider medication. I am going to give this program my best shot. In order to be in a “normal range” of BMI, I need to lose about 25 lbs. I notice this group has not been overly active as there aren’t many updates, but I will try my best to post tips, recipes, ideas etc. to anyone trying this diet.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am a 50 year old female on my third day of the DASH diet and am still trying to adjust. I had a small slip on day one, another small slip on day 2 and today - NO SLIPS!!! Phase One of the program limits starches and sugars, and I truly think I am addicted to both of those so it has been a real shift for my thinking. I seem to automatically gravitate to bread as a staple so thinking about veggies and protein as the staple instead is a mind shift.
    I am following the plan in the book “The DASH DIET Weight Loss Solution”. I am motivated to continue as my blood pressure is nearing the stage when I should consider medication. I am going to give this program my best shot. In order to be in a “normal range” of BMI, I need to lose about 25 lbs. I notice this group has not been overly active as there aren’t many updates, but I will try my best to post tips, recipes, ideas etc. to anyone trying this diet.

I look forward to your updates. I'm loosly following this plan, and I would love to see someone that is actively following post updates.
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The government has a good download explaining the DASH diet until you can find the book. It is free.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
  • FMcrafter
    Options
    Just signed up and just got the book
    50 year old fart as my son calls me...have multiple forms of arthrits and other joys....was doing good with my fitbit till one morning my pain that i have been trying to deal with since august went bad in a big way....cannot lay diwn at all...and my bp went up...i was akways low....so is it the pain or meds which has it high i dont know
  • lionplate
    lionplate Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI!! I have been looking at this both Hubby and I have strong family history of BP. I use salt free spices and check labels but have a lot more to learn. I joined the team to ask questions and keep me motivated.