How long after you get up do you first check your sugar?

Options
momjmd
momjmd Posts: 296 Member
If I test when I first get up, my sugar is a lot higher than if I wait an hour or so (still fasting). Do you check immediately after getting up or do you wait a while? To me, it makes a difference of about 30 points.

Replies

• glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My healthcare professionals want that first one because it shows what is going on when you sleep more accurately. Often the pancreas or whatever it is that dumps the sugar into the blood goes into high gear between 3 and 4 am so the reading first thing in the morning lets them know if it is in overdrive during sleeping hours.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also test first thing as my dr suggested. I am interested to test myself after 30 minutes to see if I also have a big difference.
  • tracyschreier
    tracyschreier Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I check mine when I first wake up, though I hate doing it since it is ALWAYS over 200. That spike in FBS is called the "Dawn Phenomenon" and occurs because, like you said, the liver is dumping glucose into your system to "prepare" your body for waking hours. I actually don't care what it's called...I just want it to stop. It doesn't matter what I eat or don't eat the night before, I can't seem to get my sugars into an acceptable blood glucose range upon waking. I've tried to wait an hour (or more) before testing, but it does no good. It's very discouraging.
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I check mine right when I get out of the shower in the morning.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Soon as I put the kettle on, I stab my finger...
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Feed the "critters", get the dog out, then check...so within 15 minutes of getting up usually.

Okay...question. For some time I've been suddenly waking, maybe 4 - 6 a.m. and feeling really hot...like a hot flash but I'm thinking I'm WAY past that. I wonder if anyone else has that happen and it might indicate that glucose dumping...since most time my bedtime BG is lower than my FBG in the morning. I should get up in the middle of the night and see where I am about 3 a.m. so. Just curious if anyone else has that happening?
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Upon waking for me, whatever that time might be, and if it's more than 30 minutes before my first bite, I test again.
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Typically, within 20-30 minutes after getting out of bed. Great question, because if I wake up at 5:30, I might grab a paper and read for 30-40 minutes before getting up and then another 20-30 minues might pass before testing.

I have always considered this fasting. Please see a scenario and question below and give your thoughts.

When going to doctor with a 9:00 or 10:00am appointment and blood work for fasting is taken, three hours after waking up. Is the fasting test at a doctors office , even legitimate? Even though one is still fasting and it has probably been 10-11 hours?

WCUCATS77
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Indeed a great question wcucats, and to respond to your second scenario, imo It would still be a legitimate fasting value.
    Your physician might have an recommended window of time to shoot for. Imo, If it's fasting, meaning nothing consumed
    it's legitimate.
    For me, a later the fasting blood draw, means throwing my eating and mealtime insulin schedules off for the remainder of the day.
    I like to go in early as possible, get 'er done.

Be interested to hear what others have to say.

:smile:
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    BD... Good almost afternoon.. Great points; I did not even think of insulin and changes for people that were taking them. I, too hope others respond with their experiences, so we can learn what others are finding.

have a great day and looking for to the Reds season. Cloudy but warm in SC.

Take care

WCUCATS77
  • malyndad
    malyndad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I check mine as soon as I get back from the bathroom, so withing 15 minutes. My am readings are always shocking, 2-3 points (36-54 US) higher than when I go to bed.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When my doctor first told me to test, he said he wanted me to check 4x a day. Mainly before each meal and then at bedtime. Considering I didn't always eat breakfast right away, it might have been as late as an hour after waking before I would test. Generally it was within 15-35 minutes of waking. Right before taking the first bite of breakfast was when I would check.

I would also notice a drop of anywhere of 5-10 points between waking and eating breakfast. However one time my number actually went up 5 points with no explanation.
  • jeffsimms12
    Options
    Usually it is one of the first things I do in the morning