Weight Loss

Options
twilightlvr79
twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
Since I started Derby I haven't really lost much on the scale. I haven't gained I am maintaining (staying between 235 and 237). I am trying to figure out if I am losing but replacing everything I have lost with muscle because at time my close do feel bigger but at the same time I know I am eating more since I started Derby. Before I started Derby I was pretty much eating between 600 and 1000 calories a day and now I am typically eating between 1100 and 1400 a day. I want to lose a lot more before I start maintaining and I can't figure out what the problem is.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert so I won't pretend to be. But that just doesn't sound like a healthy intake of calories. Your body needs fuel, for its basic functions AND for derby. And eating that low, I can almost assure you that you aren't gaining muscle. At your weight, you can probably afford a bigger deficit in calories, but you don't want to go too low.

Check out this link: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Nnegratron
    Nnegratron Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with Qarol. You are not eating nearly enough calories. When you eat that little, your body thinks that it is in starvation mode and will fight like hell with you to keep that weight on. Do yourself a favor and up your caloric intake. Build it up with proteins and fibrous grains and nutritious fruits and veggies. You'll see the pounds start to come off.
  • Nnegratron
    Nnegratron Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You also need the nutrition and stamina to survive derby. If you're not eating enough, you won't build up the muscle mass you need to dish out and receive the big hits. Proteins for muscle repair!
  • eddynigma
    eddynigma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+3

This is also a good read for finding out how many calories you should be eating!
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You need more. I typically burn 2,400 calories on days that I have a 2 hour practice. (combined with a desk job)

I routinely eat 1900 calories on those days.

As for the fat:muscle ratio, do you have access to a place that does bodpod assessments? If not, start taking some measurements, that will be a much better indicator than the scale. I've only lost a few pounds, but I've lost a lot of inches and bf%.