HOW MUCH PROTEIN IS RIGHT FOR YOU?

Options
RichardGaspa
RichardGaspa Posts: 51 Member
I grew up reading bodybuilding magazines. On page after page, they hammered home the importance of protein – how you need it to build muscle, how you should be consuming massive amounts of it, and how you should take X or Y supplement to make sure you’re getting enough of it.

This debate rages today. Fitness types often recommend megadoses of protein, sometimes as high as three to four grams per pound of bodyweight. On the other hand, the medical establishment argues that most of us take in more protein than we need. The U.S. Department of Agriculture, meanwhile, has a recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of 0.36 grams of protein per pound of body weight. So if you weigh 160 pounds, your RDA for protein is 58 grams. Eat a 12-ounce sirloin steak, and bam, you’ve met your goal for the day

What we really need is a standard that tells us how much protein we should eat based on our own individual goals and aspirations.

Replies

• thedean1td1
    thedean1td1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    They would put me over 205g of protein per day and that's roughly 820 calories a day from just protein. Not at this VA, they flip out when I walk in and give them my numbers. Just had one last week send me a documentary on a guy with a 60 day juice program that's just 500-700 calories per day. I ate that for breakfast. .
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within the 30% macro measurements based on daily calories and take in 150g protein a day. This has been hard for me to meet and am trying to eat more foods that will increase this number. I have recently purchased a protein powder recommended for me by a trainer so that I can a.) consume more protein and b.) drink it after dinner so that I have continuous burn through the night. I have a very large window between my dinner and breakfast. He feels this will help me be less hungry in the morning and keep a steadier burn due to the slow protein breakdown. Hell, it's worth a shot. I sometimes go 15 hours between dinner and breakfast due to my schedule.
  • RichardGaspa
    Options
    They would put me over 205g of protein per day and that's roughly 820 calories a day from just protein. Not at this VA, they flip out when I walk in and give them my numbers. Just had one last week send me a documentary on a guy with a 60 day juice program that's just 500-700 calories per day. I ate that for breakfast. .

Dean, Every time I see your tickler at the bottom of your posting I freak. (163 pounds loss so far and counting) I can't believe how much weight you lost, You my friend are a roll model for other veterans that have a weight problem and think they cant do anything about it. I wished you lived here in Las Vegas. I would love to have talked to you while at the VA. I am hoping you are saving some before and after photos. I would love to see them. When God was giving out will-power he issued you enough for ten people.
  • RichardGaspa
    Options
    I try to stay within the 30% macro measurements based on daily calories and take in 150g protein a day. This has been hard for me to meet and am trying to eat more foods that will increase this number. I have recently purchased a protein powder recommended for me by a trainer so that I can a.) consume more protein and b.) drink it after dinner so that I have continuous burn through the night. I have a very large window between my dinner and breakfast. He feels this will help me be less hungry in the morning and keep a steadier burn due to the slow protein breakdown. Hell, it's worth a shot. I sometimes go 15 hours between dinner and breakfast due to my schedule.

Very interesting, If this works out for you I would love to hear about it. I might try this myself. Would you be willing share the name of the mix and the store you purchased it at? I would like to google it.