New to clean eating and need some snack ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristieNJFitnessAddict
    Options
    I am new to clean eating too. Right now my favorite pre-dinner snack is a smoothie made with chocolate protein powder, a cup of frozen cherries, a handful of spinach and a quarter avocado with a cup or so of water. It just tastes like chocolate cherry milkshake! Also I get some ideas from The gracious pantry website like banana walnut fudge.

That sounds so delicious! Do you know how many calories are in the smoothie?
  • Nykki8
    Nykki8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    280 calories with the protein powder that I have (I'm not sure how much protein powders differ, mine was 110 cal). But it's perfect if you're trying to stay around 300 for each meal, enjoy:)
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: kale chips (ie : baked kale) is awesome

lightly coat kale leaves with olive oil, seasalt and garlic
    bake on cookie or cassarole dish for 30-40min at 350-375degrees
    until crisp* TOTAL AWESOMENESS:love:
  • TheGreenCupcake
    Options
    I have been clean eating for 2 months so far!! Its been working out great...for snacks.... I have red peppers and snow peas...raw I also like apples or bananas sliced with all natural chunky almond butter....I love all vegetables! so they have been my go to snack.... :smile:
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat all of these suggestions for snacks. They are super delish. But for me the key for all those bad sugar cravings is to get rid of any and all other non fruit/veg/natural sugars. If i go a few days without other stuff the sugar cravings stop, and fruit is more than enough to satisify me. If i get off track and have a diet drink or piece of candy/or cookie/or other garbage, then the cravings start again.
  • Steph_in_FL
    Options
    I keep organic frozen mixed berries and mango pieces in the house all the time. The mango bits are especially yummy. Make sure to get organic, though, because the conventional are full of pesticides. If I have a HUGE sweet tooth, I'll put some stevia on them.

Also, for a chocolate fix, I cook coconut oil, cocoa, almond milk and stevia together, pour it on a plate greased with more coconut oil and put it in the fridge. When it's hard, I break it into pieces and put it into a bag. It really is yummy and truly satisfies my choco-cravings. Sorry, don't have a recipe. I just mix it all together, not too much of the almond milk, and simmer it until it is thick enough for me to know it's going to harden. I've been making candy for years, though, so I guess you'll have to experiment.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is Vanilla Greek Yogurt, 1/8-1/4 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of blueberries...sometimes I will have sliced almonds as well. Very filling snack.
  • jrobrown
    jrobrown Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat all of these suggestions for snacks. They are super delish. But for me the key for all those bad sugar cravings is to get rid of any and all other non fruit/veg/natural sugars. If i go a few days without other stuff the sugar cravings stop, and fruit is more than enough to satisify me. If i get off track and have a diet drink or piece of candy/or cookie/or other garbage, then the cravings start again.

That's really interesting! I have the same problem -- even if I cut out refined sugars, natural sugars keep the cravings going. It's hard to avoid those! Any tips on how to avoid those natural sugars? I find that I get too hungry if I cut those out and end up binge eating and going back to more processed foods, etc. What do you fill up on when you cut out those more sugar heavy/carb heavy clean foods (like sweet potatoes, etc)?
  • dollylohaze
    Options
    An apple with a little peanut butter :) does the trick and the protein in the peanut butter fills you up. It must be 'full fat' peanut butter, though, because the 'reduced fat' takes away lots of the monosaturated goodness and replaces it with sugar.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    this thread is amazing. Bump
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you freeze a banana and blend it... it can turn into its own 1 ingredient "ice cream."
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Just made the air-popped chocolate popcorn recipe posted earlier, or somehow on one of the blogs linked dont remember where i saw it. Was amazing!

6cups air popped popcorn drizzled with 1/4c organic dark chocolate! WOW makes the chocolate go so far and popcorn is low calorie when its air popped!
  • 22885london
    22885london Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a 60 year old female who is interested in learning to eat clean. This summer I swam and lifted weights daily. Winter months caused me to gain about 10 lbs. I need info on clean eating. Anyone interested in sharing success stories and tips?