What to eat for breakfast?

Options
Hello,
My name is Kat and i'm going to be changing over to vegan very soon. The only real problem i'm having is what to eat for breakfast? Usually in the summer I eat salads everyday and in the winter I eat soup non stop, but every morning I eat eggs. I mean EVERY morning. What could I sub for my eggs? And I was also wondering what kind of vitamins should I be taking and what kind of protein powder could I use?

Replies

• barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't have the answer but wanted you to know someone is here! I eat greek yogurt with granola nearly every day and was wondering what I could put in place of that. I do like oatmeal when it's cold but it's not nearly as easy......
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is soba noodles with mushrooms and nutritional yeast...sometimes some soy or wasabi (or both) for extra flavor. They cook up in 5 min, so it's not time consuming and it's a great way to get in the B vitamins.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try soaking some irish oats in almond milk with cranberries and almonds overnight...I read that soaking them you didn't have to cook them and they come out a little different in texture...plus you eat them cold which I think will be more to my liking...
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    smoothies :) fruit, frozen bananas, plant milk, and a handful of greens (I like spinach) theres tons of recipes out there for different smoothies.

If you are eating a wide variety of whole grains beans and vegetables you shouldn't need extra protein, unless perhaps you are a body builder or something. Most people consume way more than they actually need.
    B12 is the only vitamin you cannot get from plant sources, everything else should be covered but a multi-vitamin never hurts I guess. :)
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    oh and i hve never tried it but I hear you can make a good scrambled egg substitute with tofu :)
  • Lisahenne
    Lisahenne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is hope! I, too, ate eggs every morning before starting the transition to a plant-based diet and wondered how I would give them up. My stomach is like a raging furnace in the morning and eggs seemed to be the only thing that would keep me going until lunch. I even had a small flock of hens so I had a steady supply of delicious, fresh, organic eggs.

I switched over to eating whole grain, slow cooking hot cereal in the morning - either steel cut oats (even thick rolled oats make me ravenous in an hour) or Bob's Red Mill cereal (there are lots of different varieties). I add some ground flax seeds, vanilla, and cinnamon and let it simmer while I'm getting ready. I eat it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and fruit, and sometimes add a few walnuts or almonds if I'm really hungry. If time is an issue, you can also cook up a batch and reheat individual servings in the microwave with a little water.

It took a week or two to adjust, but now I love my hot cereal just as much as I used to love eggs and it fills me up just as well. I think that like most of the foods you start to wean off of, it just takes a little while for your palate to change.
  • Lisahenne
    Lisahenne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    p.s. you probably don't need a protein powder at all if you're eating beans and other legumes, along with some soy.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    oh and i hve never tried it but I hear you can make a good scrambled egg substitute with tofu :)

1/4 block tofu, drained and pressed (the firm kind, not the silken)
    1 tbsp oil or margarine (I like Earth Balance or Grapeseed Oil)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    (Other spices to taste, I've seen turmeric, and mustard seeds I like adding parsley flakes or fresh basil)
    1 tbsp nutritional yeast (some people use as much as 1/4 cup)

You can mix it up by adding different veggies, I like adding mushrooms.

Most mornings I have oatmeal with ground flax seeds and dried berries (I like goji berries best but the store is out of them so I've been using golden mulberries) You could even add nut or soy milk if you prefer creamer oatmeal.
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you want a substitute for eggs, you should try scrambled tofu. There's tons of recipes online and it's usually made with nutritional yeast so you get your b vitamins in from the start of the day. You can add any veggies just like you would a normal omelette, and you can also add non-dairy cheese for a special treat.
    Personally, I don't use protein powder. I workout at least 4 days a week and am pretty active in my lifestyle, but I don't see a need for it. If you're looking for a nutritional supplement, VEGA brand has a product called "Vega One" and it supplements tons of fiber and vitamins into your diet and I think some protein as well.
    What I've learned being vegan is that the protein guidelines we are informed on are vastly overexaggerated, and I would recommend doing additional research and looking into the World Heath Organization's protein requirements.
  • jenniferrr127
    jenniferrr127 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to find a sub for eggs I recommend tofu scramble. There's a brand you can find online that has a tofu scramble mix that's easy if you don't feel like making up your own. You just add it to the tofu&scramble it up.

Instead of greek yogurt, try coconut yogurt. It's delish. I use it ALL the time.

For breakfast I usually make a parfait with coconut yogurt or smoothies. I could live off smoothies.
    That's pretty much been my breakfast norm. :)

Also for protein powder, vega is a good brand. But I use spirutein and like both vanilla/chocolate.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have been eating plant based for a couple months now. No meat, dairy/cheese, or oil.

My "Go To" everyday cold breakfast is:
    40 grams of old fashioned rolled oats
    40 grams of shredded wheat (100% whole wheat)
    5 grams of ground flaxseed meal
    120 grams of unsweetened vanilla flavored almond millk
    topped with 8-10 blackberries or sliced up banana
    a cup of coffee

I love it, it sustains me for 2-3 hours.
    A lot of times before lunch I'll have a piece of fruit if I feel hungry.
  • buttaflyjonez
    buttaflyjonez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i usually have a Vega brand vegan protein shake with unsweetened almond milk. (about 160 cals total) jazz it up with some banana, or unsweetened coco powder for a few more calories. ::) hope this helps. I'd also say, scrambled tofu.. but Soy doesnt sit well with me.
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have been eating plant based for a couple months now. No meat, dairy/cheese, or oil.

My "Go To" everyday cold breakfast is:
    40 grams of old fashioned rolled oats
    40 grams of shredded wheat (100% whole wheat)
    5 grams of ground flaxseed meal
    120 grams of unsweetened vanilla flavored almond millk
    topped with 8-10 blackberries or sliced up banana
    a cup of coffee

I love it, it sustains me for 2-3 hours.
    A lot of times before lunch I'll have a piece of fruit if I feel hungry.

I have something very similar to this and it keeps me full, and is very yummy.
    I love chopped dates in mine too.
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    http://www.thermoscooking.com/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/

I cook breakfast while I sleep. :happy:
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Doing a lot off reading ,getting ideas .I think I will try the tofu
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    tofu scramble -if you forget the eggs there are many varieties that are quite good.
    oatmeal ohsheglows.com has a number of varieties. i make them with quinoa instead.
  • keepitoff321
    keepitoff321 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Scrambled tofu? I'll have to try that. Sounds good.
    For me it's fresh fruit smoothies. I find them sooo filling. Lately I've been adding in spirulina (powder) which is a complete protein source and packed with vitamins/nutrients. A little pricey but a little goes a long way. Although it made the smoothie super green, it didn't change the taste that I could tell.

If I get bored of that I go to oatmeal with maybe blueberries, hemp hearts and a little squirt of agave nectar.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Vegan with Susan Voisin has a great baked bean recipe. Brits and Aussies love it on toast with eggs! YUK I put mine on Greens Greens Greens. Susan follows Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live and Eat For Health.

Susan also started an Eat 2 Live group on Yahoo and it seems like half of the members are excellent cooks. I Luv it!

Now that is warm, I don't mind a micro ( super chopped) salad with some de frozen mango chunks, berries and a shake of flax seed for brekkie, oh and a tablespoon of walnuts. Need to get walnuts and flax in early so I don't forget!

Oatmeal, like bread remains a trigger food for me so best to avoid For Today.

I am playing around with eating less. so this morning I reheated a half yellow pepper stuffed with a Quinoa, mostly veg, walnut, raisin combo...and decaf coffee. enjoyed the great outdoors from my patio. 20 minutes later decided I would still like a cup of berries with half a banana. Other meals, I say nope, I am good.

Unfortunately I am a card carrying member of the Clean Plate Club. I want to work on that but even thinking about it makes me crazy! LOL I just started this last night. First Night of no eating after dinner. Yeah. 20 more days and it's a habit!

Have a great day and week my friends!

Dawn
    Nutritarian since 2-22-13, began dealing with the worst food and drink addictions in late December. Was a junky veg.
    Down 36 lbs or so 2 + sizes
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    but every morning I eat eggs. I mean EVERY morning. What could I sub for my eggs? And I was also wondering what kind of vitamins should I be taking and what kind of protein powder could I use?

Hi Kat and Good On You!

I loved eggs too and gave them up in Feb, 2013. I can't remember, does Forks over Knives have any documentation on the lives of laying hens? For starters, baby chicks are sexed at a very young age. On the documentary I saw, the males were thrown into boxes and then bagged, still alive, to suffocate.

I have Netflix and in the beginning, 2.22,13, I watched a documentary every night to learn about the health consequences of eating animal based products and as Dr. Campbell calls them, The Three Devils, Oil, Sugar and ...oh was it bread or wheat. He has a new book Whole, and also a new You Tube so you can find it.

I am 61 and can't fool around much longer! Eggs and yogurt were my weaknesses so I tortured myself into watching the horrific way we treat animals. Weird but I know but it worked. Boy chicks, boy calves, Mama pigs, it is all horrible. Even at an organic kind farm, there is no use for a laying rooster or steer, except for meat. Forget the slaughtering process.

and I have a close friend with a small dairy herd!

I was shocked at the confinement s of the laying hens even on a "small farm". They basically don't move. In the Group here, Eat To Live, there is a section for Resources and the good documentaries are listed, as well as books.

Lots of info here ESP The Protein Myth as written by the Meat and Dairy Industry...I encourage you to read read read. And watch on You Tube, check their sites too

Eat For Health and Eat To Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
    Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Reversing heart disease
    Dr. T Colin Campbell. the China Study, Whole
    Dr. Dean Ornish, Full Spectrum Eating
    Dr. Neal Barnard, He is on one of the TV channels, started a group for concerned docs and has written books, many You Tubes.

Protein
    By eating a varied plant based diet..AND healthy one, ie no sugar or oil or at least minimal oil, emphasis on Greens especially the Super Stars Kale, Collards, Swiss Chard, Bok Choy , cruciferous veg, etc You will eat 10% protein which is...as it turns out..PERFECT for Humans. I think it is in Eat For Health that Dr. Fuhrman has a table of which of the proteins are in each super plants. If you have too much of protein, your body stores it, until you eat something that requires that protein. Your wildly smart body releases the stored one. when I find it, I will post.

No need for Protein Powder...make a smoothie with beans, kale, salad greens and add a sweet fruit. We need infinite MICRO nutrients, according to Dr. Furhman, and not macro: calories, protein, starch etc. Micro Nutrients are in Real Food, especially veg, raw and cooked.
    His acronym for healthy eating. G-bombs. Greens- Beans, Onions, Mushrooms (as little as one a day), Berries, Seeds

To feel **FULL** I eat the recommend half to 2 cups of beans per day. Of course they are loaded with protein also. Just stock up on organic, no sodium beans and rinse well. I have graduated to a Pressure Cooker and heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo. I have become a bean gourmet! LOL LOL Go Figger!

Well hope this helps you in some small way,
    Luv,
    dawn
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    This is the latest video I've found that explains an awful lot about this style of eating. It is an excellent lecture by Dr. Michael Klaper and is called FOOD THAT KILLS: http://youtu.be/KNCGkprGW_o

The short answer is grains and other plants including tofu. I am an avid smoothie drinker mainly green veggies and fruits with seeds or nuts. I like a 400 calorie breakfast to get me going.