Last 2 wks of C25K, then first 5K

Options
forestplay
forestplay Posts: 63 Member
I just did C25K W7D2 (20 minutes continuous run) and feel I'm in the final stages of training for my first actual 5K race in about 10 days (Mar 30, Marin Marathon in San Rafael, CA USA).

I have a couple of questions for you folks who have actually done a 5K race.

1. How soon after completing the program did you do your first race? My first race is literally the next training day, assuming I can do the remainder of the program as planned. Is that cutting it too close?

2. How do I do the warmup walk and stretching before the race? Since it's actually close to home, I hope to ride my bike to race site with my race support team (my wife :wink: ), check in and stretch. I think this will work but it will be fun to learn how it all works.

3. How does a typical race start? How do I get my "official" time? Do I time myself? I'm hoping to do it in less than 30 minutes, but suspect I will do it in about 35 minutes.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

-Bob

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    1) Some people have done it as early as week 7. Your goal is to finish upright and you should be capable of that, even if you miss a day.

2) In a big race, it takes about a quarter mile for everybody to spread out and find their pace. This gives you a nice warm-up. If you ride your bike there, you'll be nice and warm for the stretching. Or do dynamic stretching.

3) Many races are "chipped" This means that there is a chip that is embedded in your bib (race number) or you attach to your shoe. It signals a computer to record the time when you pass the start and finish lines. Other races have you run by a clock at the start and finish lines and then has you complete a ticket with the information after the crossing the finish line. Fun runs have a clock at the finish line and don't record "official" times. If you have a stopwatch or a running app, it wouldn't hurt to time yourself as well. The finish results are usually online between 3-5 days. There may also be a professional photographer at the race, so there might be a photo of you finishing available for purchase.

Races start by having an announcer harangue everybody to get their butts to the start line with walkers/strollers toward the back (if allowed). You have a bagpiper to signal assembly. Then they tell you to go and everybody starts slowing moving forward and the crowd slowly spreads out, speeds up and you find your place in it and your rhythm for the race. Just being a part of the crowd, seeing runners just a bit faster than you directly ahead is usually motivating and shaves minutes off your typical training times There's always at least one person there who will inspire you.

There's typically water stations at each mile point but they make you waste time. You shouldn't need to stop if you haven't been drinking during your C25k sessions. Though you WILL want to. You will also want to walk, stop and catch your breath, lie down and take a nap. None of these are a great idea. You CAN do it!

You will probably get your t-shirt before the race in the race packet; some people think it's tacky to wear it during the race because it's traditionally a reward for finishing. Others think that they should mind their own business. There's usually a goodie bag with your race packet or after the race. There's also often bagels/bananas available at the finish. Gatorade and/or chocolate milk make great post race drinks to replace the fluid and salt lost by your body, so your support team might want to hold on to a small bag for you. The milk gives you a nice protein bump as well.

You don't really need to carb load for a 5k, but the ritual is fun. I like to make room for a spaghetti dinner and a cupcake the night before. Everything you do on race day should be typical of any other training runs. Pee before you start. And good luck!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    When I got my shoes at Fleet Feet, the guy who helped me told me they encourage runners to alternate between running and walking during their first 5K.

My first one one will be a couple of months after I finish the program, so I'm hoping I'll be up to running the whole thing.
  • forestplay
    Options
    I'm now in the last week before the end of my training program and my first 5K. The race is next Saturday and I already know I'm ready.

Today the program was to run 28 continuous but I was feeling so good I just kept going for a total of 33 minutes straight.

I've never run this far (distance) or this long (time) EVER. I cannot tell you how excited I am by this program. I've never considered myself a runner but today I ran for "almost" 3 miles straight. Before starting this, the most ever was a single mile in high school 30+ years ago. I remember the exhausted feeling in my lungs that lasted the entire day. Right now, my legs are a bit tired, but my heart and lungs feel great!

-Bob
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been reading as much as I could and from what I see youll want to carb up the day before your 5K so you have plenty of energy to carry you to the finish and remember to stay hydrated. I love this program I did 2.09 miles on W2D3 in the 31 minutes I cant wait to get into longer runs but don't want to skip ahead and mess up my progress. Good luck on your run next week.
  • forestplay
    Options
    I ran my race this morning. It was the 5K at the Marin Marathon and it was my first organized race.

During W7 of C25K, I had a goal of running in less than 30 minutes. As I finished the program, it didn't seem as if I could make it in that time. Turns out I beat my training sessions by more than 2 minutes! My average mile pace was 9:14 and, using the app in my iPhone, saw that my last mile was actually less than 9:00.

Official race time was 28:39. I was 2nd best in my age group (50-59, 9 finishers) and #62 overall (of 260 race finishers).

Wa-hoo! That was fun!

The entire atmosphere was much more fun, social and engaging than I expected. My wife was my cheering section and she enjoyed herself just watching all the people racing. We had a great day!

-Bob
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Awesome job.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Congratulations, you did an excellent job! It also sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it. And a great result, wow!
    I can´t wait for my first 5k in May.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Official race time was 28:39. I was 2nd best in my age group (50-59, 9 finishers) and #62 overall (of 260 race finishers).

Way to go!! That is excellent for your first race, or any race!
  • newfie_74
    newfie_74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

You will also want to walk, stop and catch your breath, lie down and take a nap. None of these are a great idea. You CAN do it!

Pee before you start.

I literally LOL'd
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job! Sound like it went really well. I'm always surprised when I see how much faster my race time is from my training time.
  • forestplay
    Options
    Great job! Sound like it went really well. I'm always surprised when I see how much faster my race time is from my training time.

Yes! I was really enjoying passing other runners. Since I started near the back of the pack, there were lots of people to pass. It wasn't until the half way point when someone (a couple running together) started to pass me. I picked up my pace to stay with them. She pulled ahead climbing the final hill to the finish, he dropped back a bit then caught me in the final few yards. It was certainly in good spirit, but this is when it truly felt like a "race".

I was inspired by the two Olympians that were standing near the starting line wearing their medals, posing with pictures with everyone. That was pretty fun!

-Bob
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Thanks so much for the inspiring post! I'm also in week 7 and have my first race on May 11, so it was great to hear someone else's story! :-)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The trick to running up hills is to take short, quick steps - as if you've dropped to the smallest gear on your bicycle and are spinning the pedals without pushing much. Stay on your forefoot. You'll be sweating, but it should feel almost effortless.
  • forestplay
    Options
    The trick to running up hills is to take short, quick steps - as if you've dropped to the smallest gear on your bicycle and are spinning the pedals without pushing much. Stay on your forefoot. You'll be sweating, but it should feel almost effortless.

Ha! I didn't have any choice but to slow down and take really small steps! I just kept telling myself to keep "running" and to not start "walking". The actual hardest part was at the top of the hill when I had made it running. I so wanted to reward myself with a little walk. It was down hill at that point and I could start to see the finish line and hear the crowd applauding the finishers. I picked my pace back up and tried to look like a runner for the last 50 yards.

-Bob