Blood donation

Options
So tonight I was talking to a new EMT we have on our squad who I believe is full of himself. We were practicing IV's tonight with some EMT-Advanced students, and he just happened to be there. He is going to be a paramedic student in the spring so he was watching and practicing some on the maniken arm. I was saying how I would not want to be on the receiving end of a 14 guage needle. He told me that when he donates blood they use a 12g needle on him. I flat out told him I didn't believe him. I have only ever seen as big as 18g used for blood donations. Has anyone ever heard of any company using a needle that big? You'd think you'd need a stich or two after you pulled that out... ouch!:noway:

Replies

• theblackspot
    theblackspot Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    UK blood service use 14 or 16g, not a safety cannula either. Looks like a kebab skewer! Last time I gave it was absolutely painless though with no bruising. I put that down to practice!
  • Hawkeye_74
    Hawkeye_74 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    They used a 16 gauge on my last donation. Mostly can't remember what they used the time before. I have had a 12 gauge needle/cath in me. But it was in an artery to monitor my blood pressure. That was 18 yrs ago and I have a nice scar to show for it. So that makes me wonder if a 12 gauge is used frequently in the blood donation world.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Here in the US they use 16g for blood donation. There really is no need for anything bigger since platelets and plasma can all easily pass through a 16g.
  • JeneeGentry
    JeneeGentry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The only time I've had a 12g needle in me was for a piercing! LOL! I doubt he had blood drawn with a 12g!