Road Food

Shane37301
Shane37301 Posts: 32 Member
My family and are will be going on an unexpected road trip for a family funeral. I'm looking for some suggestions for paleo road food.

The last time we had a trip, I was limited to nuts, fruits, and whenever we went out to eat, I had steak and eggs from some all day breakfast place, either that or grilled chicken salads (boring). I really don't want a repeat of that. Help!

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

If you can bring a cooler, I've brought hard boiled eggs, cheese, etc. I also made my own fat bombs, coconut flour muffins, and beef jerky that kept a few days without refrigeration. How long are you going to be gone? Steak, eggs, and salads are ok for a few days. Sounds delicious to me! :)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    I'm leaving on a road trip tomorrow. I'm packing a cooler to take on the road. I have made Paleo Chili and packed it in a couple small bowls. I figured most gas stations will have a microwave I can use. I've made some Paleo lemon-blueberry muffins and packed nuts, apples and almond butter for snacks.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    We've always packed a cooler of food (because of allergies) and we make sure to get hotel rooms with a fridge. We also pack paper plates, napkins, cutlery etc for eating on the road.

We pack jerky, pepperoni, veggies, fruits, hard boiled eggs, salad, cooked chicken chunks, canned tuna (and a can opener) muffins, trail mix. nuts. I also pack non-paleo mints or jolly ranchers, because I get carsick and having something to suck on helps.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    I road trip a lot. In my cooler go boiled eggs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, meat sticks/pepperoni, sometimes sliced turkey or chicken, cheese, and some jerky.
  • Shane37301
    Shane37301 Posts: 32 Member

If you can bring a cooler, I've brought hard boiled eggs, cheese, etc. I also made my own fat bombs, coconut flour muffins, and beef jerky that kept a few days without refrigeration. How long are you going to be gone? Steak, eggs, and salads are ok for a few days. Sounds delicious to me! :)

Thanks. We're leaving tomorrow morning and coming back Sunday. I found turkey jerky, some assorted raw nuts, the hard boiled eggs are a good idea. I can live with eating steak and eggs and salad if I have to.

We ended up picking a hotel with a decent gym and indoor pool, so I won't be missing my workouts. I just need a decent substitute for sweet potatoes since I won't have access to an oven.
  • shar140

Thanks. We're leaving tomorrow morning and coming back Sunday. I found turkey jerky, some assorted raw nuts, the hard boiled eggs are a good idea. I can live with eating steak and eggs and salad if I have to.

We ended up picking a hotel with a decent gym and indoor pool, so I won't be missing my workouts. I just need a decent substitute for sweet potatoes since I won't have access to an oven.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I've microwaved (or you can bake) sweet potatoes ahead of time, mixed in my butter/coconut oil and cinnamon, put in a container, and brought with me in a cooler (though, I admit for less than a day, I've left unrefrigerated). Eating cold isn't my preference, but I'll do it. Otherwise, I bring a banana.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    On road trips I like to stop and eat at Cracker Barrel. They have a really nice low carb menu.
  • Sweet potato mud pies! These are my all day bike ride fuel and they keep well in a sealed container.

1 baked sweet potato, flesh scooped out and mashed
    1 egg
    1 tbsp coconut flour
    1 tbsp raw cacao powder
    1 tbsp raw honey/agave/maple syrup
    1/2 tsp bicarb soda
    1 tbsp coconut oil or coconut butter
    pinch of sea salt

Whisk the egg. Add sweet potato and coconut oil/butter (softened) and blitz with a blender until it's smooth.
    Fold through the dry ingredients. Bake at 180 C (160 fan oven) for 20-25 mins, then cut into squares.

If you want to pack more into them, add chopped nuts and/or dried fruit, I also like to put blueberries or raspberries in them. I don't use the honey either if I add berries, they're sweet enough.

All the best for the trip.
  • shar140
    Sweet potato mud pies! These are my all day bike ride fuel and they keep well in a sealed container.

1 egg
    1 tbsp coconut flour
    1 tbsp raw cacao powder
    1/2 tsp bicarb soda
    pinch of sea salt

Whisk the egg. Add sweet potato and coconut oil/butter (softened) and blitz with a blender until it's smooth.
    Fold through the dry ingredients. Bake at 180 C (160 fan oven) for 20-25 mins, then cut into squares.

If you want to pack more into them, add chopped nuts and/or dried fruit, I also like to put blueberries or raspberries in them. I don't use the honey either if I add berries, they're sweet enough.

Awesome, thanks for the recipe!! I'll be out of town next weekend, and I think I'll try this. :) Cheers!
  • shar140
    Bump to see if anyone else has any good ideas, as I'll be travelling this weekend and will need to bring some food - I'm fine with choosing something at restaurants, but I also need ideas for on the road snacks, and between game food (I"ll be at a rugby tournament all weekend).
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    I took some pistachios, nitrate free lunch neat, apples, almond butter, veggies and guacamole for snacks on my recent drive to Florida and back (12 hours each way).
  • shar140
    Sweet potato mud pies! These are my all day bike ride fuel and they keep well in a sealed container.

1 egg
    1 tbsp coconut flour
    1 tbsp raw cacao powder
    1/2 tsp bicarb soda
    pinch of sea salt

Awesome, thanks for the recipe!! I'll be out of town next weekend, and I think I'll try this. :) Cheers!

For those wondering, I did try this recipe, and made a big batch all at once - like 4 sweet potatoes' worth. Since I didn't eat all of it that weekend, I cut them and froze, wrapped individually. Then I can take out one at a time. Works great! :)
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    I'll be making a road trip next week and will have these with me: Macadamia nuts, individually wrapped cheese, canned salmon (Wild Planet has the pop-top lid so no can opener needed), and Nick's sticks (beef sticks). Otherwise, I stick to salads when eating at fast food joints and steak or seafood when eating out at night.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I just made 5lbs of home made jerky. It's delicious and portable. My MIL vacuum seals if for me in 2oz packs, I just leave them in my glove box when it's the winter months. Not sure how they'll fare in the summer. Might not be a great idea to leave them.