My Lords and Ladies may I present..... YOU!

Options
Greetings everyone! Thank you for joining the group now let's find out more about you. Please post to this thread an introduction about yourself and what your medieval hobbies/likes are.

Replies

• hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

My name is Megan, though I carry a number of pseudonyms that go along with various characters I've played over the years at a few Renaissance Festivals. My most recent persona is a rather bawdy wench by the name of Penny Layne at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival - there, I assist with weddings and the midday tea, and wrap up the day serving at the adults-only Royal Cigar Smoker event.

My (non-MFP) husband also carries a number of characters under his belt, and our home is adorned with more swords than I can even remember owning, framed Larry Elmore prints, and even a custom piece of art that portrays us as Conan and Red Sonja, haha. Right now we're both working hard to get into good enough shape as to not embarrass ourselves as barbarians at an event at the end of May. :)

Away from the fantasy realm, we both work in IT (big shock there, I know), have 2 kids in college, and 4 senior-citizen cats who call us theirs.

Looking forward to getting to know more of you!
    Megan
  • KevinRPlummer
    Options
    As the founder of this group, i suppose I should introduce myself as well.

Here on MFP and in the mundane world I am Kevin Plummer and a unemployed (by choice) Chef.

In the real world, I am known by 2 names Count Gordon le Bleu (catch the chef innuendo) and also Sir Rhydderch ap Eirwyn. I have participated with about 30 different organizations and Renfaires over the years from one side of this great country to the other. My main interaction for the last few years has been with the Adrian Empire, a live steel group similar to the SCA.

Currently I am the founder of a group that will hopefully become the next SCA someday but which will be VERY different form it as well. Occasionally I will post some updates as to how that progresses here and if you have any interest in knowing more just ask.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am a LONG time Rennie living in southeastern New England, and while I have never worked in any "official" capacity for the several faires in our area (except for some random boothing for friends), I *am* a Licensed Wench, RenMerc and Privateer. I volunteer behind the scenes helping to run our local "traveler's hostel", which is a combination green room/quiet place/potluck/first aid station that we maintain on faire sites to provide a bit of breathing room for the cast members and merchants.

My husband and I have been doing the faire scene for so long that I now have an entire room of the house dedicated to garb -- which is about to spill over into a second room. We also participate in some Golden Age of Piracy reenactments and demonstrations, and own several replica flintlocks -- even a small deck cannon! More recently, we've begun to dabble a bit in Steampunk and have been building a nice collection of garb and gadgetry.

Our first love, however, is medieval and Renaissance. We have enough weaponry in the house to rig a small army, and my husband has a custom kit of 16th century three-quarter German field plate. Just last week, he came through with his promise to me once I reached a year of maintenance.... and now the order is in for MY custom kit of late 14th century transitional English plate. I am SO very excited, but now wondering if I will need to spend the summer lifting heavy to make sure I can actually MOVE in all of it. I've acted as his squire long enough to know how tiring it can be!

I'm currently working as a property and casualty underwriter, and my husband is a graphic artist/systems engineer for a small local firm. We were not lucky enough to have children, but the dog is happy that SHE is the center of all the attention and spoiling. When not off at faire/a-pirating/cosplaying, we spend most of our spare time in the evenings playing EverQuest on the Al'Kabor (Mac) server.

Who's next???

Diane
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just have a very big interest in history, especially the Medieval era. I don't do any reenacting as, unfortunately, I don't have the time, however I have advised a few people on historical textile manufacture, such as spinning, weaving and dyeing.
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am a lover of Fest! Home faire is Minnesota. I am not on cast but my partner and I go everyweek end. We only live a few miles from faire. We are part of our "Fest Friends" group.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ezzie/Gwendolyn/Barb.....it has been a long time since dabbling in the medieval world, my taste of it did leave me wanting more but I am rather a butterfly when it comes to interests. Perhaps this group will inspire a renewed interest in such.

Happily married, retired teacher, currently keeping busy with two vacation rentals on the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan in northern lower MI. Proud mom of two grown sons, lovely daughter-in-laws, 2 grandkids and grand dogs. Our four footed family includes our golden who knows he's beautiful, and 3 cats who run the house.
  • jbum68
    jbum68 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a history buff and wargamer currently dabbling in the early medieval period among others. The Baltic Crusades and eastern Germany/Poland/Hungary are where I try to focus. Long time RPGer and fan of the local Ren Faire (I'm near Milwaukee) but I don't have the performance gene so I go as a visitor. Lots of reading to try and figure out how to paint my 28mm minis and I get to share heraldry with my daughter (who's only interested in the colors) and some of the quirky stories. My hobby has brought me into areas I'd never have looked at, especially cloth and colors and horse breeds, I try not to paint them all brown.

Real life is spent in a cube working with computers. Besides that I spend time on the airsoft field and model building.
  • hurcheon
    hurcheon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Colin

I live in Scotland and for about 20 years was a Viking, 17th Century and Highlander reenactor, using steal weapons and wood and leather shields rather than padded ones. Not a crack at the SCA or LARPers, it's just what I did.

I have an interest in history, mainly Dark Ages/Early medieval and Middle-Earth (that was real, yes?).

I am an occasional RPGer and wargamer, and am writing an Arthurian supplement to my RPG at the moment that is longer than a novel.

I had lost a lot of weight before, put about 3/4 back, trying to lose it again. Harder this time as I work in a different city so don't have so much free time to walk about as I did last time.

Day job, It stuff. Jack of all Trades etc
  • sabregrrrl
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My husband and I were married at Scarborough Faire here in Texas five and a half years ago. We are also regular attenders at the Texas Ren Faire. We own our own fencing club in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and love teaching people how to poke their friends and family with metal sticks.

Good to find this group here!
  • sabregrrrl
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My husband and I were married at Scarborough Faire here in Texas five and a half years ago. We are also regular attenders at the Texas Ren Faire. We own our own fencing club in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and love teaching people how to poke their friends and family with metal sticks.

Good to find this group here!
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    really interested in this RenFaire thing. Which are the most representative websites please?