week 4

Options
pixxie13
pixxie13 Posts: 6 Member
Anyone else starting week 4 tomorrow? So far, this program is great but I feel like I'm just warming up when the run is over. Does anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I start week 4 Sunday. Feeling a bit nervous but then again I was nervous starting week 3 and that was fine.
  • pixxie13
    Options
    If you can do one minute, you can do two, right?
    Let's kill it this week!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Week 3 can be light for some people (it killed me). I don't suggest it, but I know some people add extra runs or double up that week (depending on the program you're using). However, it will get more challenging - because you're ready for it now. And, yes, you will kill week 4 - you can do it!
  • pixxie13
    Options
    Just have to tell you guys that i completed a 5k race yesterday! It was hillier than i expected, so i ended up walking for about a minute - but i did it! My time was 36 mins.

I don't know if i should now work on improving my time, or my distance. Any thoughts?
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should continue with more running segments towards the three miles instead of doing the cool down....Or possibly skip to the next weekly run if the current run is not sufficient. The c25k plan is a guideline...You can modify the plan to suit your needs. I skipped some workouts when I was doing it for this reason. After WK4 this becomes more difficult unless you are comfortable running for >20 min.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    pixxie13 - the usual advice is to go for distance. Time will follow naturally. The thing is, for the first year of running, your main focus should be to build your body's tolerance for that activity. You are adding blood vessels, bone structure, strengthening your joints, adding cardiovascular efficiency, etc. right now. You are very capable of progressively increasing your distance and the more miles you put on your feet, the more efficient your body will get with running.

Working on speed puts a lot of pressure on your muscles, bones and joints and increases the risk of injury. You will want to start doing that maybe 3-4 months after graduation, but even advanced runners only do speed work every 4-10 runs. Most of there runs are still mid-distance and at a comfortable pace.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Im starting W4D1 today. I jogged 20 minutes straight friday instead of doing the segments. I think Im going to do the same today and just do a 2-3 min warm up then jog it out then 2-3 cool down.