how many carbs per meal/day do YOU eat and stick to?

Options
xxjoellexx
xxjoellexx Posts: 78 Member
I have been aiming for 30 and under per meal with a total count of 101 per day. I see a lot and i do mean a LOT of diabetics on here who do like 200 a day. Curious, what do you do?

Replies

• lamourlady
    Options
    Mine is set for 175 for the day as per 40% carbs. This was on advice as I was just going by what my basic goals were; I didn't know I could change it. Is it too high for a beginning type 2 diet?
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Been sticking to around 150 per day max. I think I only went over it maybe 2 or 3 times, and each time it didn't cause my BG to go crazy.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My macros are set to 20% carbs which is 65 grams per day. I usually end up between 30-60 grams carbs for the day. I try to stay below 15 grams for breakfast ALWAYS as breakfast is the meal where my blood sugars are most affected by carbs. Later in the day I can be more flexible but I tend to stay at 15-20 for lunch and dinner and under 15 for a snack. The majority of my carbs come from vegetables and nuts, with a little dairy thrown in. I avoid grains completely and strictly limit fruits and legumes.
  • xxjoellexx
    Options
    When i told my doctor I was doing 100 total per day he said "Wow you are on TIGHT control. Good for you" and had said that 150 was the average goal.I prefer to do 100. I read so many articles, and it seems that to go under 100 is extremely hard on your kidneys, organs, nerve functions, etc. My average blood sugar is 93-100.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what you're doing is working for you, and so definitely keep going for it. I'm one that can eat 150-200, depending on my exercise level, and that's just under 40%. I space them out pretty evenly throughout the day, which my body appreciates, and my A1C is pretty good at 5.1. I think this varies dramatically by individuals and individual tolerance, insulin sensitivity, etc. If you're in good control, awesome.

I do find it ironic that as I write this there's a Mcd's ad for a Big Mac above my post. Ironic that they are allowed to advertise on MFP.... hmmm. I know they're not the worst fast food chain, but jeesh!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 130 - 150 spread out over meals and snacks. I think its pretty individual, though.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I set mine to ~140 a day but am always under it. Most of the time I eat between 95-133 over the course of a day.
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    I been doing 120 started at 135 and dropped it down, I spread it out for the 3 meals and snacks
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm vegetarian and diabetic, so I have an interesting dilemma.
    How the heck do I get the protein allowed without overloading on carbs?
    A little research found a recommendation of 60/30/10 split carbs, protein fat.
    So I reset my macros about my second day here. I am 6'3 and 215 lbs, and keeping
    to about 1800 calories a day. Maybe a little extra.
    My mornings BGL has been under 100 for most of the last 14 days, with one spike of
    113 and another of 109. Interstingly, both of those +100 were on a monday morning, after the weekend off with my wife and mother-in-law. Feel free to check out my food diary if you want. It looks a little monotonous, but
    if it does what I need it to do then give me monotony.
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just looked at how many carbs I'm eating---And I'm posting pretty durn good fasting bgls.
    My night time befor bed readings are good too. under 100.
    Of course I'm taking metformin, onglyza AND glimepride.

Still, before I started the 1800 cal. perday and 60/30/10 my a1c's were 9.2.
    Which is why I am here...
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My objective is 45 net carbs per main meal max with an allowance of 20 for snacks. My daily allowance is 135 net carbs. I try to aim for an even distribution over the day. I don't always achieve these targets but this approach has helped me to gradually reduce my A1c to approx 5.4 down from 7.5 at diagnosis.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 30 for meals and the # in my head for overall has been 100-150... I only now just started trying to log EVERYTHING just to count this alone. I figure if I go by meal I should be under... but wanted to log for awhile so I can get a more accurate idea on where I should be improving.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I try to stay between 90 - 130, also spreading carbs out fairly evenly over meals with a smaller amount for snacks. So far it's not correlating to my BG number. I can have a lower carb day and higher FBG number the following morning and vice versa. Like all of us, I'm just trying to keep the testing numbers as low as I can.
  • dylansmom87
    dylansmom87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was told by the dietician to keep meals at 45 gr and under and snacks 20gr and under. been able to do that quite easily.
  • xxjoellexx
    Options
    my bg is at its best when i stay low at night, higher in day
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Wow, many of you eat more carbohydrate per meal than I do in a day...

Right now I'm dieting - averaging about 2100 calories a day and averaging 40g of net carbohydrate per day, or just under 8% of my caloric intake.

Then again, my Type II diabetes was obviously more severe than most. My HbA1c was over 12% at diagnosis and my C-Peptide shows I have very limited insulin production. I adopted a ketogenic diet very shortly after my diagnoses and have been on it for over 2 years and 4 months now.

My HbA1c was 7.0% after three months of the ketogenic diet, down to 6% another three months later, and I joined the 5%-club 3 months after that. It tends to hover between 5.1 and 5.4% now and has for a year and a half.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I try and stay at or around 100 a day
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    My Carb intake varies typically, between 150-200. Once in a while it is under 150 and the same for over 200. For me, it is just as important to know which foods can spike my sugar.

This allotment of carbs seems to be working very well, for the most part , along with exercise.

WCUCATS77
  • 911tiff
    911tiff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am amazed! I have aiming for keeping my carbs under 25 a day, my highest was like 28 and I spiked big time that day. my counts are for a day an not per meal. wow.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My goal is 20 g or under a day. I've been eating like that for a year.