Yet another tell me what to do post :)

Options
elleryjones
elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
Okay, noob question that has probably been answered a thousand times before.

I stumbled onto the Eat More philosophy back in January this year, after a lifetime of yoyo dieting and eating little. I wasn't particularly doing VLCD before this, but definitely eating less than I am now. I've been gradually increasing my calories since February 3 of this year (it was too scary to go right to TDEE) and from looking back at my calorie averages it looks like I've gradually gone from the 1700 per day range to the 2100 (average) per day range (pay no attention to the cupcake party my tummy had this past weekend).

My stats according to the spreadsheet that Heybales nicely shared with us (according to not too long ago - a week or two):

height: 63 inches
weight: 138
body fat: 24.49

BMR: 1395
TDEE: 2286

Question: Should I increase my calories all the way up to TDEE or make a cut or hold steady?

I haven't really lost anything in the way of inches or pounds since starting this (I haven't done measurements recently but am due to do so in a week or two) and I am feeling especially fluffy recently. I'm willing to hang in there with increasing my calories if it's recommended, but I'm kind of at a loss and this morning was an especially tough one with trying on pants after pants that didn't fit. Not a good way to start a Monday morning.

I don't have any particular weight goal, and wouldn't care if I lost or gained a few pounds. I just want to be able to fit into the pants I was wearing before I started eating more. Oh, and get leaner too. ;)

Help!

Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump because I feel like we're in the same boat.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What do your workouts look like? Are you incorporating a weightlifting routine? Our stats are very similar, except I am about 6 pounds heavier than you and a higher BF% (@26%). What are your goals? I would think being under 25% BF and at the height and weight you are that you look good just where you're at.
  • elleryjones
    Options
    I've been doing primarily weights, with some infrequent cardio stuff. Last week was an off week for me as either allergies or something has had me feeling cruddy and not being able to get out of bed in time to do morning workouts, plus sick kid, plus two birthdays, etc. So I essentially didn't work out last week (besides a quick run - 4 miles on Saturday).

On paper I probably physically look okay, but I could definitely stand to be leaner. And seriously, I cannot fit into most of my clothes, which is making me very unhappy. I was about 20 lbs lighter last year at this time, as a combination of a back injury (preventing me from working out) and painkillers for the back injury (which prevented me from caring about working out, or eating) had me at my lightest weight in many years. I had to buy new clothes (oh darn) for my smaller self, and it would be really, really nice to be able to get my butt back into them again.

So I don't have any set bf% goals or weight goals, just to be smaller and leaner. I've worked out my entire life, and not eaten very much most of my life, so I'm excited to see what can happen when I combine my workouts with fueling my body.

And, don't know if I've mentioned this before, I'D LIKE TO FIT INTO MY PANTS AGAIN. :)
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I wonder if when you stopped working out due to the back injury and all the meds, if the weight you lost was some muscle. My husband was following MFP for a while, and unfortunately, was eating way less than he should have been following their recommendations. He did drop a lot of weight, and his clothes were all getting loose, but he also discovered he was a lot weaker in the gym with the weights. He has since gained back the weight and the strength, and now he fits fine in his pants. Perhaps that lightest weight you were at when you had to buy knew pants is not exactly the best weight for you. At one point (after the 4th child), I had gotten down to 133, which is the lowest I have ever been since getting pregnant with my first about 23 years ago. But then I started upping all my weights for workouts, and slowly gained 10 pounds to be around 143, although I realized that all my pants still fit me. That low 140's is where I am now. It seems my body, at the age of 48, just likes hanging in the low 140's. I occasionally drop under, but it just comes right back up. Low 140's seems to fit my lifestyle. All that to say, that perhaps fitting into those smaller pants would mean not being at a healthy weight. Working the lower body with weights does give you a "booty" and fills out those jeans! LOL!

As for calories. If you just started eating more this past January, and have yet to eat at maintenance, I would recommend trying to eat at maintenance for at least two weeks. Perhaps you could combine it with a heavy lifting schedule. Do you have Cathe's STS? Or any of her other heavy weights series? You may gain some during this time (I gained about 4 - 5 eating at maintenance or slightly above for 2 months), but when you then drop your calories and go back to 1700 - 1800, hopefully the fat will drop off and the muscle gained will remain. Watch the BF% number more than the scale's weight number.

I am no expert, but I hope I have made a little sense with my thoughts. Others may have better suggestions or explanations than me, but I hope it helps a bit.
  • elleryjones
    Options
    bump...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Lifetime of yo-yo dieting.

So your body is more than adept at increasing, and lowering, metabolism.

Head on up to TDEE, however slow you want to go, like hang at Deficit level for 2 weeks and see there are no gains.
    Then go half-way to TDEE, confirm no gains.
    Then hit TDEE for couple weeks minimum.

If you lost none at the deficit amount, or the half way to TDEE, then 2 weeks at TDEE may not be enough.

You may drop to the deficit amount, and your metabolism may be more than willing to drop too. It's seen it before, it may be preparing for craziness ahead.

I'd say if no loss during the half-way to TDEE, stay at TDEE for 4-6 weeks while you lift heavy as main focus.

If you lose some at mid-level, stay at TDEE for 2 weeks.

And did the half-way level loss match what was expected for those 2 weeks. If yes, great, metabolism went all the way up, if no, etiher TDEE estimate is off, or metabolism is off.