Sodium

Options
deneeneh
deneeneh Posts: 14 Member
Hi, just wondering if anybody tracks their sodium on Atkins. I am finding that I am so afraid of going over my sodium, and that it really hampers my eating. Any suggestions on how to not go over the sodium, and still eat sufficient fat and calories would be appreciated. I'm currently on induction, and losing very slowly.

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't watch sodium intake, I remember reading that it wasn't necessary. I use himalayan crystal salt (the pink stuff) because it's not iodized. Other than that, i haven't had an issue with sodium. Are you on HBP meds or pre-hypertension. What are your specific concerns? If it's just the MFP guidelines, I would delete that from your settings!
  • deneeneh
    Options
    No meds, just don't want the water retention that comes with too much salt. When you retain water, the scale doesn't go down. I feel like that is possibly why I'm losing so slowly...idk
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    No meds, just don't want the water retention that comes with too much salt. When you retain water, the scale doesn't go down. I feel like that is possibly why I'm losing so slowly...idk

Try upping your water! I weigh 200+ so I aim to drink at least 96oz taking into account my food has about 30% of my water requirements. I retain when I don't drink enough water. I'm still a slow loser, about 1lb/week :)
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I was more concerned with sodium when I was counting calories because too much would cause my fingers to swell. Low carb eating is usually lower sodium, unless you're seasoning your food a lot. Are you eating processed foods? If you're losing slower than expected, it's likely not the sodium and something else.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Just drink a lot of water if you're worried about your sodium. The scale will go down I promise with low carb and that's enough to worry about without worrying about your sodium.
  • deneeneh
    Options
    It's just driving me crazy watching the sodium creep up....I think I may remove that from my page. Also, do any of you use lower sodium items or are you just more worried about meeting the right portion of carbs. Could I be losing slower because of my carb intake???? I make two weeks tomorrow and have only lost about 5lbs. I'm a big girl, think it should be more than that
  • livinglc
    livinglc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I started on Myfitnesspal a week or so ago was partially to track sodium and potassium to see if I was where I should be. I am on BP meds so I wanted to be sure my eating style wasn't too high in sodium and that I was getting the potassium I needed. It's helpful to know if you're within limits especially if you know you may be eating higher sodium - which I am because I eat a lot more cheese and nuts. They are my two go-to snacks.
    As far as your weight loss -- I'd say YOO HOO to five pounds. Everyone loses at their own rate and slower and steady is better in my mind. I lost a pound a week and it took over 40 weeks to lose the 40#.
    Keep doing what you're doing, you're doing great.
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    How do you get rid of excess sodium? Drink more water and exercise preferably where you sweat. Then drink more water. Eventually drinking enuff water will lower your sodium since.I dont see how any1 could retain water drinking 8 8 oz glasses of water.
  • KurvyKitty
    KurvyKitty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In Dr. Atkins book he actually warned about not eating ENOUGH sodium in our low carb diets. I don't tend to track the sodium myself. Switch to sea salt, perhaps. I made the switch just to try to be healthier overall. But really, you should only worry about tracking your net carb intake. I noticed though, that I have to track my calories still because I have a terrible problem of not eating enough calories in the day. With Atkins, I just am not hungry so I have to force myself to eat more.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    It's just driving me crazy watching the sodium creep up....I think I may remove that from my page. Also, do any of you use lower sodium items or are you just more worried about meeting the right portion of carbs. Could I be losing slower because of my carb intake???? I make two weeks tomorrow and have only lost about 5lbs. I'm a big girl, think it should be more than that

If you wouldn't mind sharing your diary, or what you would eat in a typical day, perhaps some of us can take a look and provide some feedback.
  • 13mjames
    13mjames Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Im interested in answers too. I have high bp, and find I tend to snack on high sodium things like salami, cheese, kielbassa, salami, cheese, and more of the same :p I am looking for some low carb low sodium foods to snack on, I do cook up large batches of chicken & pork loins to munch on, but at night and between meals its the high salt food I seem to run too. Thanks in advance :)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    On a low carb diet your body does not hold on to as much fluid. More water is flushed out and with that water goes sodium and other electrolytes. You do not want to restrict sodium and you need to drink a lot more water. If you experience dizziness you need more sodium. Most low carb diets recommend drinking bouillon to increase sodium intake. You also most likely will need to supplement other electrolytes - magnesium, calcium and potassium. A low carb, sugar free sports drink can also be helpful.

I eat very low carb. The only time I retain water is when I eat ham or a lot of Chinese food; Or, when this post-menopausal body pretends it's that time-o-month
  • mycatbutters
    mycatbutters Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do watch my sodium. I try not to eat pork twice a day. If I don't pay attention and have too much sausage, bacon, pork chops and/or pork rinds in the same day I will swell up and drinking water just doesn't cut it.

The longer you eat clean, the less you will find yourself adding salt to items like vegetables you may have before. The orignal flavors really start popping.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    I do watch my sodium. I try not to eat pork twice a day. If I don't pay attention and have too much sausage, bacon, pork chops and/or pork rinds in the same day I will swell up and drinking water just doesn't cut it.

The longer you eat clean, the less you will find yourself adding salt to items like vegetables you may have before. The orignal flavors really start popping.

I totally agree about the pork and clean eating. The only pork I eat is bacon (nitrite/nitrate free) but I limit the amount. I don't eat as clean as I can, but it's definitely an improvement.