Training/Consulting project -- update

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Hey everyone,

The following is an update to this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/941902-possibly-offering-my-services-checking-interest

I have created another group where I will be listing a rules post and an application post for the above project. Since there has been a reasonably high amount of interest, I would like to gather more information from interested parties and then narrow down the selection to ~5 people (at this time).

The process will work as follows: If you have expressed interest in the above link, and you didn't follow it with "but I don't think I'll be a good person because..." then you will receive an invite to this new group. Invites will happen within the next week.

Once you are invited, you will find a thread containing rules. Review it, think about it, and decide whether or not you want to proceed. If you agree with everything, go to the application post and follow the instructions.

If you don't agree to it or decide that this isn't for you, no problem at all!

This is my first time doing something like this and as a reminder, this is a test pilot that I may be using as a template if I end up pursuing this as a part-time business. Once again this is free of charge.

Lastly, please do not be discouraged if you do not get selected. While I don't know for sure, I think it is likely that I will be doing this again either after this 12 week period, or during, depending on time investment/availability.

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5RZal-q3ChpoHUk1Kom0njHHkRl7FtDLUy0PZ26rveAQDp5NYaA
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Only the 5 chosen will get an invite or everyone that was interested?
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome!!! One stop closer to being a godlike-warrior!
  • SideSteel
    Options

Everyone that expressed genuine interest that didn't include hesitation or trolling, will receive a group invite (not yet, as I'm still working out the rules/app process -- but the invites will go out this week).

From that, people can choose whether or not to apply after seeing the outline and rules.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My hesitation was a question :laugh: "Does it involve peeps who live outside the US"? If I don't get an invite, I'll know why :sad:
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Everyone that expressed genuine interest that didn't include hesitation or trolling, will receive a group invite (not yet, as I'm still working out the rules/app process -- but the invites will go out this week).

From that, people can choose whether or not to apply after seeing the outline and rules.

Awesome! So generous of you, thanks!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • mjpbgtd
    mjpbgtd Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great idea to pilot this. Thanks for update. Look forward to next steps.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm not your typical Eat, Train, Progress member. I'm old, obese and very out of shape. Mostly, I lurk, hoping to pick up a few tips as I travel from my lifelong home in Sedentary Town to what I hope will be my new residence in Healthy Valley.

If I may be so bold, I'd like to ask if you might consider, perhaps on your next go-round, a group of people who are not your typical ETP members (ie: those of us who are obese, aging, with physical limitations, yet still need guidance to help us safely and confidently reach our fitness goals).

For example, my personal goal is to be able to follow the "dial it down" Level 1 routines in the "New Rules of Lifting for Life" book by Schuler and Cosgrove. Despite this book being written for the older, obese and injured, I find most of the routines beyond my current capabilities. I need to find a way to transition from where I am now (53, obese, weak, gravel-like sound in knees) to the point where I can start following a more traditional exercise program, such as the authors have written in the "for Life" version of the "New Rules of Lifting" books.

I think many MFP members, especially those of us who are older or those younger people who've been obese most of their life, fall into a similar physical category. Also, a lot of us do not have the money to pay for a gym membership (even if we did have the guts to go inside) or set up a home gym. Yet we still need a strength training program that will allow us to get stronger and healthier without costly equipment, a dedicated exercise room, or a spotter.

If you can design a beginner program for people like me, I think you could publish it ... or at least sell it in an affordable, downloadable e-format.

BTW ... I'd also like you and Sarauk2sf know that I appreciate the time you two put into this group. While I might not be a typical ETP member, I greatly enjoy reading both of your posts.

And Sara, in the next couple of weeks I am going to take you up on your offer to review my resistance band exercise form in private. Some of us just don't like showing our faces or our jiggly arms and bellies in public. :-)
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    If I may be so bold, I'd like to ask if you might consider, perhaps on your next go-round, a group of people who are not your typical ETP members (ie: those of us who are obese, aging, with physical limitations, yet still need guidance to help us safely and confidently reach our fitness goals).

I don't mind your boldness, but allow me to reply with boldness =)

How do you know I'm not looking for someone exactly like you right now for this project?

:bigsmile:
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I guess 'cause you were looking for victims, I mean volunteers, on ETP and not the 100+ lbs to lose group, where I also frequent. ;-)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I guess 'cause you were looking for victims, I mean volunteers, on ETP and not the 100+ lbs to lose group, where I also frequent. ;-)

The only reason I asked in ETP is because I run the group with Sara. I wouldn't offer in other groups because it would feel invasive since it's not my group, so to speak.

Also, ETP is for everyone regardless of fitness level.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    in.
  • Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    sounds very exciting. good luck!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I don't mind your boldness, but allow me to reply with boldness =)

How do you know I'm not looking for someone exactly like you right now for this project?

:bigsmile:

Love this... :)
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I"m excited for you -- I hope you find this project fulfilling, fun, and that it gives you what you are looking for. (I'm assuming that you want 'data' or experience to verify your theories but I could easily be wrong.) Didn't want to clutter the other thread but now I'm gonna clutter this one :happy: wishing you best of outcomes!
  • ghfit
    ghfit Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Outstanding. Looking forward to invite to new group. :)
This discussion has been closed.