Scale Flucuations--What's happening?

Options
LioshaM
LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
OK, so I know the scale is not EVERYTHING... But I just need some advice on what's going on.
Ok, starting from 2/22 here is my weight every Friday
Official starting weight 196.6
2/22-196.6
2/28---Increased my calories from 1450 to 1898 to coincide with TDEE 15% cut.
3/8- 194.2 Lost a WHOLE 2 pounds.. HUH?????????
3/15 -197.2 Up 3 pounds
3/22 - 196.6 Down 1 pound
3/29 - 199.6 UP 3 pounds

TOM started 3/27 and I have been having symptoms long before that date, tired, no energy, didn't work out... started craving crazy crap...
I'm finally back to my normal self, but am concerned with all the flucuations. I did not do VLCDs and did not do crazy cardio either... What the heck is going on...
I do Interval training on the treadmill about 15-20 minutes 2 times per week . 3.8 to 4.4 60 sec intervals,
I do some weights, 2 times per week.. not very heavy though and it's the machines, not free weights. How do you know when you are gaining weight it's FAT versus WATER?

Replies

• moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    bump.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Are your lifting sessions on Thursdays and are you sore the next day when you weigh in?
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wasn't really that in tune to notice. What would this mean? I do my weight session on Thursday and also Interval jogging... 3.8 to 4.4 in 60 second intervals
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Wasn't really that in tune to notice. What would this mean? I do my weight session on Thursday and also Interval jogging... 3.8 to 4.4 in 60 second intervals

Strength training causes micro tears in the muscle. This is why you get sore. The tears will fill with water to repair. This will create a temporary increase in body weight. It's a good idea to not weigh the day after strength training.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    or any exercise for that matter.

Because you could get false weight loss if done morning after cardio day burning off glucose, and water weight.

Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, and not still sore from a lifting workout, is only valid weigh-in.

Any others are mere noise and invalid and might as well not do them as really meaningless, unless you are curious about the range of fluctuation possible, and will put no meaning to it.

For most tied to the scale, that means don't even bother doing it.

But even on valid weigh-in days, how do you know if fat or water?

Always do the math.
    If you gained 2 lbs, that would imply 7000 extra calories OVER TDEE/maintenance for that length of time.
    If 1 week, that means you would have to have eaten over maintenance 1000 calories daily.

Even if your metabolism wasn't up to speed yet, lets pretend and say 1900 was real TDEE because of still being suppressed - you've have to eat 2900 calories daily for that week.

So either impossible for fat gain, or water weight, or you got mighty sloppy with the food logging or are a sleep walk eater (check the fridge for signs!)

So the speed of the gain is how you know.