Just Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

Options
jessmastrilli
jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
I was just diagnosed today with hypothyroidism. They are putting me on snthyroid. I kept complaining about being tired even after 9-13 hours of sleep, taking naps, fatigue during any exercise, brain fog, irritability, ringing in ears, and so many more. I went the docs this morning to tell him about my symptoms and he gave me attitude about it! I told him I wanted my thyroid checked! Good thing too because the results came back that I have an underactive thyroid! I learned to listen to my body even when your family and friends think you're imagining things!

Anyway, just wanted to make some new friends who have the same issues going on! I am currently 5'5" and 135-140. My weight fluctuates a lot and I can't seem to get down past 135. I'm hoping once my thyroid levels clear up, I can start losing again. I am training for a half marathon as well and hoping I can get my energy levels up!

Replies

• Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Hello,
    Recently diagnosed too. My doctors didn't get attitude with me, luckily. The problem was they didn't know what to look for, so I was considered "normal" for years. I'm the same height as you, but am starting at a higher weight.
    I'm sure your training will help. Have you checked some of the posts on foods to avoid (cruciferous veggies, soy, gluten)? This one had a lot of info
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/929955-hypo-and-your-metabolism
    It might help with any plateaus you are hitting.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was hypo for 40 years, then hyper and now hypo again after 1/2 of thyroid removed. Synthroid(t 4) is good (I do not take generic) and also cytomel (this replaces t 3 and gives you energy). I take cytomel in A.M. and about lunch time otherwise I nap for a few hours in the afternoon. I suggest you see an endocrinologist as most internists or g.p.s don't know what they are doing and get the dose wrong and poor follow up. Did you get a thyroid scan? Do they know why you are hypo? Oh, yes, I don't do any of the fad type diets that the other person suggested and I am doing great. I have a great doc! that makes all of the difference. Hope this helps.
  • dogluvr3
    dogluvr3 Posts: 11
    Options
    Was just diagnosed last month, given Synthroid. Will not take it again. I have been a fitness junkie my entire life. I am 5'5", and at 48 years old I had 14% body fat, was training for a tri, and had a six-pack. Suddenly I started gaining weight. I trained harder, made my diet even cleaner. Weight still came on...Trained harder, even did "Insanity" and ran in same day trying to budge the scale. The weight kept coming. Almost a year later I have gained 20 pounds. This is a phenomenon for me. My weight my entire adult life has been 110-115. These pounds WILL NOT BUDGE, and now I know why.

I have an appointment with an endocrine doc next month. I am going to ask for Armour, because when doc put me on Synthroid I gained four more pounds in one week, and my belly was extended and bloated like I was five months' pregnant. I cannot deal with that...
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    I was told to avoid certain foods because they could affect my thyroid further. Just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was suggesting any crash diets. Also, this was mainly until they got all of my blood work results back and knew what permanent approaches to take. Sorry, should have mentioned that. :smile:
  • mrsyako
    mrsyako Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed on Jan. 31st of this year with hypothyroid too. I had almost all of the same symptoms as you said you did! I just never felt like myself, never had the energy to play with my kids, my weight just kept creeping up no matter what I did. It was awful. But I started synthyroid on Feb. 1st and within two weeks I felt like a new person!!! I have sooo much energy and now I am down 18 pounds! But I also watch everything that eat, I make sure that I log everything as well, and exercise at least 3 times a week and walk when the weather permits.

But good luck on starting the medicine! I'm sure you will feel like a new lady very soon!!!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You know, in this world of over medicating, I can kinda understand why the Dr would give a bit of attitude, but if anything you could just point out the blood test would likely rule out any other issues and doesn't hurt anything or anyone. I started off going in for being tired, and after a physical my general Dr ordered bloodwork, including T3 (turned out it was anemia at that time, but hey...). If you don't like the treatment you receive, go to another doctor. If you can afford it, I recommend going to a endocrinologist, at least till your meds are correct. My general Dr never caught the fact that I had an enlarged thyroid area (yay goiters) that I'd had for years (while going to them), and the endocrinologist was alarmed immediately.