YEA!!! Other 1200's

Options
cook6609
cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
I am so excited to find this group. I'm so sick and tired of seeing the comments that put down people that are on 1200 calories a day. It has worked for me very well. I don't feel hungry, and I'm far from being naive when it comes to nutrition. I am in a weight loss class where they talk about nutrition. I what my nutrition intake very closely to make sure I'm not cheating myself out of what my body needs. I have been on MFP for 2 1/2 months and I'm just 2 lbs shy of losing 40 lbs. I know that not everyone can handle 1200 calories a day, especially if you have a very active lifestyle (I'm sedentary other than my exercise- which I do eat back those calories). I wish those nay sayers can realize that not everyone is like them. Not all of us want to look like body builders. I want a lean body, but not where I have muscles bulging out. If other women want to do that, then that is their body and what they like. I know what I want, and what I like. I know what I have to do to achieve it. I never feel tired, hungry, etc... I don't struggle with 1200 calories a day. I am succeeding with it, and it's nice to be apart of a group that feels the same way.

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yes! I agree. I kind of wish this group was more active and that more people knew about it. A lot of the posts that end up in the "general diet" boards end up with terrible answers (because as soon as you mention 1200 calories, people flip the f' out).

It's super annoying mostly because the responses show a complete lack of information about nutrition in general.

I've been on here 60 days today and have lost 20 lbs since I joined (out of the 34 I have to lose) so it's safe to say it's been working well for me.
  • jeannate52
    jeannate52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello I think what people don't realize sometimes, is that we all need to find what works for us. This is working for me and I feel great that's all I need to know.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I know that 1200 is not for everyone, but those who are against it don't think before they speak. I've seen others say that for a woman to lose weight should be between 1200-1500 calories... I personally want to get to my goal weight as quick as possible. I know that starving myself is out of the question (not like I could do it anyway since I LOVE FOOD!!!). However, I want a change in my weight as well as a lifestyle change. While I'm eating healthier, my "lifestyle" change will not come until I'm down to my goal weight. Then I'll have to change my calorie intake again to maintain. That's when the "lifestyle" change will official come. Besides, I have to much fat to lose right now that my body will use that up first before my muscles.
  • ONA79
    ONA79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how strictly everyone keeps to 1200? I aim for 1200, but in reality it is often closer to 1300 because I can't go to bed hungry. My Dr is actually the one who told me to eat 1200 calories a day and the times when it's a big problem (other than temptations of eating out or being at a party) is when I don't balance my protein and carbs correctly and then I get hungry or dizzy in the middle of the night. I've been trying to lose weight for 10+ years and it's finally coming off- slowly- so to me there is nothing wrong with 1200 calories for me. I do have one friend who says she has looked at my food diary and doesn't understand how I can eat so little.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how strictly everyone keeps to 1200? I aim for 1200, but in reality it is often closer to 1300 because I can't go to bed hungry. My Dr is actually the one who told me to eat 1200 calories a day and the times when it's a big problem (other than temptations of eating out or being at a party) is when I don't balance my protein and carbs correctly and then I get hungry or dizzy in the middle of the night. I've been trying to lose weight for 10+ years and it's finally coming off- slowly- so to me there is nothing wrong with 1200 calories for me. I do have one friend who says she has looked at my food diary and doesn't understand how I can eat so little.

I keep pretty close to 1200 and rarely go over. I plan dinner first since that includes the family and work breakfast and lunch from there. I also work in a snack at night just in case because like you, I am sometimes hungry before bed and I do not want to wake up for food! :blushing: I track calcium and iron also and watch the sodium pretty carefully. I am not finding it hard to do at all and some days, I can't even get 1200 down. I find when you can eat only 1200 calories, they really have to be loaded with nutrition and strange, nutritious food makes me less hungry! Who knew? :laugh:
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

Occasionally, I'm over 1200 calories but I'm also under 1200 calories some days as well. My weekly average is closer to 1100 than 1200.

I found, at first, that I was becoming overly fatigued so I bumped my protein up. I eat at least 90 to 100 grams of protein a day and about 40+ grams of fat per day and fill the rest with healthy fruits and vegetables. I find that I'm usually quite full and feel great.

I do intermittent fasting as well and so if I have an event (party, dinner at a friends house, whatever) I usually fast that day until that event. It allows me to still keep within a reasonable range of my calorie goal without having to abstain too much.

That's what's worked best for me.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I try to stay as close to my 1270 limit as I can. Sometimes well over, occasionally under. It's still helping with loss so I'm taking it.
  • 05kilos2015
    05kilos2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey - do you guys eat back your exercise cals? Kathryn (Sydney - Australia)
  • CristinaL1983
    Options
    I don't log my exercise on MFP. I track on a different app but I only do about 20 minutes of cardio and some weight lifting so it's maybe 300-400 calories. NBD, I don't need to eat it back most of the time. If I feel pretty bad, I'll go over a little bit and not worry about it.
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'9" 39 yo male that started tracking and set my daily goal at ~1200 exactly a month ago. I was 240 lb, and was 218 this morning. I know that probably 10 lb of my initial loss was water weight, as I do restrict my carb intake. I try to make sure I hit my protein target of 120g +-, and let the rest fall where they may. Through my years of on again/off again dieting, I have found that trying to hit all the macros exactly every day is so tedious and restrictive, that I can't stay with it. On days (usually weekends) that I do go over 1200, I don't sweat it since I am still typically under TDEE, so it is a net loss anyway.

As far as the naysayers go, let them say what they want. I am sleeping better (when work isn't keeping me up, like right now), have more energy, and KNOW that I am healthier than I was a month ago. I still have ~40-45 lb to go, so I'm not sweating it. I don't "excercise" per se, so I don't worry about eating back calories. I can damn sure tell you that my wife knows I am healthier :bigsmile:

I have a coworker who has been using MFP for a few years and has lost 160+ lb! His meals and goals look a lot different than mine, but who cares? It is obviously working for him, and mine is working for me. As is often said here and on other internet forums, "don't feed the trolls". Ask one of the self proclaimed "fitness gurus" who tell you everything you are doing is wrong and it will kill you if they have ever been 80 or more pounds overweight. I'd be interested to see their responses.
  • ElizabethKG1983
    ElizabethKG1983 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I joined this group because I had been eating way above 1200 due to what was being said on the general board. I exercise a lot and have been eating about 1800 calories a day and I am not losing any weight. None. So for the past three days I have been eating around 1200-1300 and I have already noticed a difference in how I look and feel. After three months of barely any weight loss I am ready to try something different. In the past I have had a lot of success with eating around 1200. My body just doesn't want to lose any weight if I am eating too many calories, regardless of how much I am exercising! I don't know why so many people are so crazy about bashing 1200 calories a day!
  • ElizabethKG1983
    ElizabethKG1983 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    . *double post*