What NOT to do

Options
jadeblack81
jadeblack81 Posts: 27 Member
I was trying to think of all the things that I feel I have done wrong so far (wish I would've kept track post-run). A few that I came up with (yes, some are obvious-but I'm a newb)-

Over dress (I will warm up)

Sugar as fuel

Spending the runday on my feet

Beginning my first run on an incline

Please share your What Not to do's so maybe I can avoid them!

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I agree on the overdressing.

My big "not to do" is start fast on each jog section. If I just take my time and take it at my own speed, I know I can complete it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Skip peeing before going out.

Not drinking enough water before going out.

Wearing cotton socks.

Holding my breath while running uphill.

Reaching forward with my legs.

Making excuses about why I'll never be a runner.
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Water is a huge deal. If I don't drink a lot of water throughout the day before an evening run, I know I'm setting myself up for a rough time.

I also agree about over dressing.
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Worrying i'm not fast enough.
    Taking off road a little too far (running through ankle deep mud was torture)
    Over training
    Wrong shoes
    Not taking injuries seriously
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Do not:

-Try to train where you want to be....train at your current level and gradually increase.
    -Over dress....dress as if it were 10 degrees warmer than what it currently is.
    -Don't expect to be able to run outside immediately if you have trained on a treadmill....(vise versa if you trained outside and are moving in)
    -Forget to hydrate the day before, day of and day after your runs.
    -Think that walking means failure....walking is another training tool for runners. Even marathoners walk.
    -Forget to listen to your body.
    -Stop trying...everyone progresses at a different pace. Just because one person might take 9 weeks, doesn't mean you will. If it take 20 weeks, then it takes 20 weeks.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions here! There's not much I can add. Just don't push it - follow the program exactly and allow rest days in between. I pushed it, got injured, and that set me back months.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Why not cotton socks? Just curious.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

They can cause blisters. And they tend to hold water rather than wick it away.
  • rduhlir
    Options

I haven't had any isues with cotton socks. While I have blisters, all of them have become cushions for the bottoms of my feet. I got blisters using both cotton and actual running socks.
  • rduhlir
    Options

Also...foot powder in the socks fixes that problem too.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Also, my cotton socks are a few year old and they form sharp ridges where my same-age running socks feel cushiony

Oh, what about not getting fitted with a running shoe?
  • jadeblack81
    jadeblack81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!