OVER SUGAR WITH FRUITS

Options
Butyou
Butyou Posts: 30 Member
I was wondering if anyone knows how bad it is to go over sugar count with Fruit and orange juice?
I only do it once a week.

Replies

• JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar every day because of fruit. I would say if you're really concerned about it, you might want to swap out the juice for whole fruits and drink water instead (less of a sugar spike when you include the fiber), but overall I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you're still getting a wide range of foods and nutrients in!
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I also like to do about 1/4 juice to 3/4 water. I hate water and love juice, so I find this helps me to get my water intake throughout the day.
  • Butyou
    Options
    I did start putting in only a 2oz of organe juice instead of the full 8oz. That helped with calories and sugar. Thanks for sharing I was just wondering if it was a huge deal. I do eat a variety of foods. :)
  • Nyingje
    Nyingje Posts: 13
    Options
    I am always over sugar because of fruit. I stick to whole fruit though. For the amount of calories in one large glass of orange juice you could eat about three whole oranges. (that tid bit courtesy the nutritionist in our company cafe). I wore adult braces for three years and couldn't eat apples the entire time. I promised myself that when they came off I was going to eat an apple every day. Sugar or no, I am having that apple.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I just started paying attention to my sugar intake yesterday. I've been losing steadily (9lbs and muffin top almost gone!), but my sugar intake is always at least 50g and some days 100g. Then I read somewhere that the recommended daily intake was 20g. When I looked up the info on ONE banana and saw that it had 21g, I was so pissed!

Then I looked back at that same article, I think it was from Everyday Health or somewhere like that, and they specified that the 20g they were referring to was for 'added' sugars. Well, my Greek yogurt had 17g of 'added' sugar, but it came from raw, organic honey, not plain table sugar or even organic cane sugar. And raw honey does freakin' awesome stuff for you immunity-wise, etc.

Seriously. The sugariest things I eat are yogurt and fruit. I refuse to give up my honey and my bananas and my apples. How else are we supposed to be getting in our vitamins and minerals without resorting to multivitamins? Especially because most affordable multivitamins aren't absorbed very well at all by the body.

Sorry for the rant!

I say follow the rule of moderation. If you know your sugars are coming from whole food sources like fruit (not so much the juice- I think drinking 8oz of orange juice is equivalent to something like 3 oranges), and you're not eating 12 oranges, 9 bananas, and 13 apples a day, you're probably fine.
  • Butyou
    Options
    Loved the rant. Thanks for all the information. I'll stick to putting oranges in my smoothie and less juice.