Exercise calories: to eat or not to eat?

Options
roverrowe
roverrowe Posts: 52 Member
Hello all

I'm being a bit lazy here (as I can't be bothered to search the Forums) and anyway I thought I'd seek the latest UK view on this!

So on a day like today (my once or twice weekly gym day) I have earned just over 700 exercise calories. Before going to the gym I had eaten all but 50 of my regular calories for the day. I exercise quite late in the evening (8.30-9.30pm) and when I get back I don't feel like eating much if any food. I can't risk eating my 'exercise' calories earlier in the day in case I don't make it to the gym (life is a bit chaotic with a yound family and often the best laid plans go to pot).

So, in short, my question is should I go out of my way to eat something afer the gym or should I bank the large calorie deficit and hope that it speeds up my weight loss?

Thanks for your views, which are welcome whether you're expert or novice!

Replies

• pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    From what i have read on these forums, some people say eat them and some peope say you don't have to. I some times don't use mine then sometimes after exercise i feel hungry i will eat them. Seing as you are exercising late and you don't feel hungry after i wouldn't think it matters too much. Otherwise you would be going to bed with a fuller stomach. Perhaps try eating a banana when you have finished or perhaps a bowl of cereal incase you get hungry in the night.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    You could perhaps eat those calories the day after or bank them for when you are hungry.

I eat some of mine back if I am hungry, but if I am not hungry I don't eat them. It really is finding out what works for you as everyone is different. I think it depends as well what you have things set up as e.g. sedenetary, lightly active or active.

Novice by the way as if you couldn't tell. Lol
  • yawning_cat
    yawning_cat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Will be interested in the responses to this, I never eat back my calories as surely to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit ?

As for starve mode I think that kicks in when you're not getting the correct nutrients, its not based on amount eaten its based on what is eaten, I went on cambridge diet for a month at 400 cals a day and lost weight as i was getting all the nutrients required.

sorry to go a bit off topic but the topics always seem to go hand in hand.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Will be interested in the responses to this, I never eat back my calories as surely to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit ?

As for starve mode I think that kicks in when you're not getting the correct nutrients, its not based on amount eaten its based on what is eaten, I went on cambridge diet for a month at 400 cals a day and lost weight as i was getting all the nutrients required.

sorry to go a bit off topic but the topics always seem to go hand in hand.

Yes but remember you already set your deficit when it asked you how much you wanted to lose. It you go to the goals section it will tell you what your TDEE is set for and then calories have already been taken for that, 250 for half pound loss, 500 for a pound etc. MFP is unusual in that when it asks for activity level, it doesnt include exercise. You are supposed to add that and then eat those calories back. Many people think MFP over estimates calorie burn in its drop,down me yes and so only eat back some of them. If you exercise a lot and do treat them back, your deficit will go,too low which may hinder your weight loss.

That's the theory, in reality- you need to,experiment and see.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would save them for a hungry day and not worry if you don't eat them by your next weigh in. I would wipe them once I'd weighed in though.

Look at it this way - If it's just once or twice a week that you work out and given that MFP over-estimates anyway, you are probably looking at maybe 1000kcal under goal a week which is less than 130kcal a day. So don't worry about it, unless you are stalling/plateauing and need to make some changes
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I wasn't eating back my exercise cals and lost weight very quickly until.......I hit the plateau!

I am now working on TDEE -20% which allows me to eat more however I am still plateaued.

I don't think losing the weight so quick helped me :(
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I eat mine. I find that if I don't I am hungry, and on days when I dont exercise I really struggle to stay under 1200! :(
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    hardly ever eat into mine, dont see the point unless i am going on a very long distance run which I aint up to yet.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    hardly ever eat into mine, dont see the point unless i am going on a very long distance run which I aint up to yet.

Same here, except for the running, not into running.

I just bank them. There seems to be a lot of "rules" around on mfp, a lot by Google "experts" just do what works for you
  • fiestabev
    fiestabev Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm new to this "my fitness plan" and I seem to be under calorieing because I'm exercising most days. At the moment I'm not eating up to my calorie limit, then feel bad because it's says I'll be starving myself if I carry on at this rate. I suppose it's going to take some adjusting to...never done a calorie controlled diet like this before...it's always been other methods. So to the original post...I'd say don't eat the spare calories if you're not hungry. Listen to your stomach.:smile:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this "my fitness plan" and I seem to be under calorieing because I'm exercising most days. At the moment I'm not eating up to my calorie limit, then feel bad because it's says I'll be starving myself if I carry on at this rate. I suppose it's going to take some adjusting to...never done a calorie controlled diet like this before...it's always been other methods. So to the original post...I'd say don't eat the spare calories if you're not hungry. Listen to your stomach.:smile:

Yes, bit worrying isn't it? You will die soon if you do not eat your calories, or go into "starvation mode", and then hair will fall out etc etc

As you rightly say, listen to your stomach & common sense
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    if you're hungry eat em, if your not don't, that's kind of the way I play it, although to be fair if you create too large a deficit you will put your body into starvation mode and you won't lose, eating right is like stoking the engine up TDEE - 20% seems to be a good rule of thumb.

Short answer suck it and see :bigsmile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat them - it's the way the site is designed to be used!
    Too big a deficit (i.e. the deficit you selected by your X lbs per week selection plus exercise calories as well) is counter-productive.

Just makes you feel very restricted, doesn't teach you healthy habits, makes it harder to get adequate nutrition, is a good way to lose a high proportion of lean muscle mass along with your fat loss.
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Our weight loss journeys and the methods that work for us to reach our goals are as unique as our DNA. Yes, follow the same basic principles of eating at a calorific deficit and exercising regularly, but beyond that it is a matter of working out what works best for you. Some "experts" will tell you that you HAVE to do A or B to lose weight and get fit and nothing else will ever work. What a load of tosh! Listen to your body, log all your food, drink and exercise, keep track of your weight and measurements and do ONLY the things that work for you and that you are happy with.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm an expert.

The point in using a calorie calculator is keep track of your calories.
  • stehale1972
    Options

So, in short, my question is should I go out of my way to eat something afer the gym or should I bank the large calorie deficit and hope that it speeds up my weight loss?

My limited knowledge would be that after a gym session, you need to replace muscle glcogen that you have used during your exercise session. If it were me, i would be looking at a protein bar to replace lost fuel, with a protein kick to aid muscle repair, or protein shake? Just a thought

Steve.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I missed the question at the end.

No you shouldn't go out of your way, but you might benefit from eating something rather than nothing. It depends on the volume and intensity of your training. Be aware of any symptoms of over training.

You may find it easier to 'bank' these calories, and spread them out during the following day. It might suit you very well if you don't exercise daily.
  • roverrowe
    roverrowe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses so far ... please keep them coming as this is really interesting.

Btw, if anyone wants to add me as a friend (I'm already friends with some of you), then please send a request.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I'd look at your weekly calorie intake (on the phone app there is a 'weekly' tab), and see how you average out. Obsessing over 25 calories here or 200 calories there isn't going to make a lot of difference in the long run.

I'm not using MFP in quite that way any more (I did for the first nearly 2 years), as I'm now lifting heavy things and putting them down again.. so I've set my calories to 2000 a day and don't eat any exercise calories back (as they are supposed to be included in that 2000). I am new to lifting, so will see what this is like in a few weeks! if I turn into a complete heifer, I'll review it...

Saw this today though which was interesting - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/caleo2006/view/why-am-i-losing-weight-513754
  • Tabytha13
    Tabytha13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've just read all of your responses .... very interesting. MFP already works out how many calories you should be eating to maintain a healthy diet and lose weight, so...

I like the idea of listening to your stomach, if after exercise you feel hungry have something to eat, i.e. eat your "exercise calories" but make sure that you're making healthy choices rather than the old unhealthy ones.

Listening to my tummy, or rather not listening to it, is what's got me to the unhealthy weight I am, so reconnecting to my body is something that I want to relearn.

Thanks for posting the question.

:)