Couch to half marathon

Options
xtrout
xtrout Posts: 193 Member
Did the C25K in Sept - Nov of 2012. Kind of got stuck running just 3 miles for a couple of months after that. I realized in January that I could go further...so I did. Started adding on a mile a week on my Sunday run. Now my long run is 10-12 miles. I am running my first half marathon this coming Sunday 4/7. Not too bad for 7 months of running.

For those of you thinking you can't run a 5k, or are at the 5K mark now and want to know what to do next, all I can say is to keep at it. Stick with the training plan and trust it. Once you hit the 5K goal, don't stop there. Keep at it and up your distance. You will be surprised at where you find yourself in a very short time.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    And the wave of jealousy washes over lol.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is super cool! Good for you, xtrout. One of the things I love about running is that it asks you to challenge and beat your limits again, and again, and again. It makes me wonder where else I might be holding myself back with stupid excuses.
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    And the wave of jealousy washes over lol.

I second that! :)
    OP- congratuations! That is pretty impressive. Take the time to pat yourself on the back and then keep running :happy:
  • xtrout
    Options
    Thanks all. Looks like it might rain for my race on Sunday too so this should get real fun!
  • srsavaria
    srsavaria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I told you before, but I'll say it again - you're awesome. I am doing my first 5k on the 20th, and a couple more this spring/summer. Next year I am thinking about training for a half marathon. It is inspiring that you have come so far and continue to challenge yourself. Please post your results, pictures, etc. after your race!
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    That is awesome. You have achieved so much. I wish you a lot of fun for your race and a good result of course.

I am still on the C25K program but who knows where I will be next year at this time?
  • xtrout
    Options
    Well, I finished and didn't die :). Beat my goal of 2:15. Official time was 2:10 and some change. Would have been a few minutes better if I hadn't had to hit up the port o potty at mile 2. Think i over hydrated a little pre-run. No biggie though. Overall a great experience.

here is my Nike+ data..

http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/activity/running/cmunkres/detail/2125501523
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    That's a great time - congrats!! I'm done with C25K in a couple of weeks then it's on to 10K training for a July 4th race. Then I plan on running a half marathon on Thanksgiving.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are doing so great, Xtrout! We're all proud of your accomplishments (and a bit jealous)!
    You're a great motivator!
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hooray, that's awesome!

I finished C25K in February and ran my first 5K at the end of that month. I did some various continuation podcasts and just started the podrunner Freeway to 10K last week...made it to week 2 :)

I'm going to do another 5k in May and then maybe by the end of the summer look for a 10k.

It is amazing how you can make progress by going the slow and steady route.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No kidding...you are a ROCKSTAR!
  • melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You did great, congratulations!! Thanks for the advice. I finished the 5k and I'm at thepoint where I don't feel like adding miles but I know I can :) I may be doing a 1/2 in September and I'm trying to come up with a training plan that works in my schedule.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    My wife & I just registered for the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving. I'm committed now!!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    WooHoo! Thanks for posting your story; it's a great inspiration. I was wondering if I could get to a half this year. Maybe????
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My wife & I just registered for the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving. I'm committed now!!

Looking forward of watching your progress. Did your wife also start with the c25k when you did, or was she already a runner?
  • timeasterday
    Options

Looking forward of watching your progress. Did your wife also start with the c25k when you did, or was she already a runner?

She started a few months ahead of me. But she stopped for a few weeks due to ankle issues so I am not too far behind her.
  • xtrout
    Options

She started a few months ahead of me. But she stopped for a few weeks due to ankle issues so I am not too far behind her.

Great job committing! It helps when you know you have a goal to meet. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • xtrout
    Options
    WooHoo! Thanks for posting your story; it's a great inspiration. I was wondering if I could get to a half this year. Maybe????

For sure. Get a training plan of some sort and stick with it. Take it slow but stick to your plan. It's not always easy but you can do it. The key for me was the long runs.