Technically I haven't finished C25K...

Options
bttrthanevr
bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
I want to officially finish my C25K program. I am at week 8, but since I joined a running group the last 3 weeks have taken me 5 weeks to get through. I am pretty consistently running 2.1 miles in about 29 minutes outside on the road, but I just can't get the program finished. It's nagging me. In four more weeks I will run my first 5K. I'm feeling intimidated and in need of a breakthrough. One thing about the C25K app is that it regularly gave me a sense of real accomplishment. Maybe by finishing I can get that again?

Replies

• fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Technically you have finished the program. The program is designed to have you run 30 minutes OR 3.1 miles. You are running 29 minutes. Thats awesome!. If you're trying to cover the distance, you should consider speed drills. This will help you reach the distance. Good luck!
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Im the same holidays for 8days got right back into it and bang the flu. I will get this finished sooner then later. Im scared of my first run back as I had my 5ks down to 41.33........
    I cant wait to finish it....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Well, what do you need to do that you aren't doing now to finish the program? I get that you want to check that box and you are more than capable of doing it.

I wish I could see you at that 5k blowing by people half your age. It's going to be so much fun.

Kvoss - I feel so badly for you. You are having such a rough time and hanging in there like a trooper. I know you'll get back on track and finish in style!
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well, what do you need to do that you aren't doing now to finish the program? I get that you want to check that box and you are more than capable of doing it.

I wish I could see you at that 5k blowing by people half your age. It's going to be so much fun.

Kvoss - I feel so badly for you. You are having such a rough time and hanging in there like a trooper. I know you'll get back on track and finish in style!

Thank you.
    I love how you keep me positive....
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Technically you have finished the program. The program is designed to have you run 30 minutes OR 3.1 miles. You are running 29 minutes. Thats awesome!. If you're trying to cover the distance, you should consider speed drills. This will help you reach the distance. Good luck!

Hmmm...You have a point! :-) ...But I like to feel "official". I don't think I will feel complete until I have run 3.1 miles.

What is the best approach for speed drills? Is there a guide to follow? One thing I really appreciated about C25K is that it was a definite and clear cut plan. It was easy to mark my progress. Where do I go for that now?
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

LOL!!! I will admit I have this fantasy image in my mind of smiling and waving to my CEO as I breeze past! But I doubt it will be quite like that.

Did you start immediately into a 10K program? I need a plan, but I'm not sure how to begin or where to look. My only plan for now is to add 10% to the distance I run each week, run the 5K as best I can on May 5th and then keep on running after. I consider running part of my lifestyle now and I can't imagine not doing it. LOL!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Thank you.

You are both very good for that!!! :-)
    I love how you keep me positive....
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    What is the best approach for speed drills? Is there a guide to follow? One thing I really appreciated about C25K is that it was a definite and clear cut plan. It was easy to mark my progress. Where do I go for that now?

There are many variations of speed drills, but this is what I do: I typically do 20 mins with a 5 min w/u and c/d. I use the treadmill b/c its easier to adjust your speed and watch the time. I would run at 6 mph for about 30 secs. Then recover for 2 - 3 mins depending on how long it took to bring my heart rate down. Then I would repeat this for 20 mins. Now I have sprint between 7 mph -8 mph. I'm shocked at my progress.

It really doesn't matter how fast you go. The key is to bring your heart rate up quickly and then back down again. Over time your speed will increase. I completed c25k a couple of years ago. I struggled to through the last run. I too felt like I didn't really complete it because I never reached the 5k distance non stop. I couldn't even bring myself to run 30 minutes straight even after I was done. I done a couple of 5ks and both times I had to run/walk. So my goal is to be able to run the distance. I toyed with restarting the program. Then last week it hit me that I've been working out consistently for 3 months. I should be able to run 20 mins straight (w5k3) :wink: So I did it! I ran it at 5 mph with the exception of maybe 2 mins at 4.8. That was a major accomplishment for me.

I said that to say that 5.0 is comfortable speed for me. I used that speed to guarantee that I could finish the full 20 mins. For a good workout, I would need bump up the speed a little. This is all do to the speed intervals that I've been doing.

I hope this helps. Feel free to send me a message if like.

sorry for the long post.:flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I know. We all come out of the program wanting to get faster. The fact is, though, what you're physically best capable of doing is running longer. You need to get a couple of months of miles in before adding in speed work every one to two weeks.

Here's a description of the different kinds of speed drills.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/whats-difference-between-fartlek-tempo-and-interval-runs
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I want to officially finish my C25K program. I am at week 8, but since I joined a running group the last 3 weeks have taken me 5 weeks to get through. I am pretty consistently running 2.1 miles in about 29 minutes outside on the road, but I just can't get the program finished. It's nagging me. In four more weeks I will run my first 5K. I'm feeling intimidated and in need of a breakthrough. One thing about the C25K app is that it regularly gave me a sense of real accomplishment. Maybe by finishing I can get that again?

I did the same thing - stalled out around week 8. It was almost like there was a mental block around the 2 mile mark for some reason I "couldn't" go farther. I actually dropped back to about week 5 and repeated the last few weeks....then breezed through it.

I also think you will be surprised when you go to do your first 5k. There is something about having the other people around and stuff - you'll do more than when training.

Once I could go three miles without stopping - I started doing speed work as follows: 1 mile at "easy" pace, then 1 min fast, 1.5 min easy, 1 min fast 1.5 min - 5 sets like that....then 1 mile back at your usual "easy" pace. The first week, I may have only done 3 intervals, not a full mile - later on it was more like 5 - and I gradually increased the time running fast vs easy. You will find your "easy" pace will improve pretty quickly doing this a few times a week. If on treadmill - I was shooting for about a 1MPH increase in speed between fast and easy paces.

Good luck!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

There are many variations of speed drills, but this is what I do: I typically do 20 mins with a 5 min w/u and c/d. I use the treadmill b/c its easier to adjust your speed and watch the time. I would run at 6 mph for about 30 secs. Then recover for 2 - 3 mins depending on how long it took to bring my heart rate down. Then I would repeat this for 20 mins. Now I have sprint between 7 mph -8 mph. I'm shocked at my progress.

It really doesn't matter how fast you go. The key is to bring your heart rate up quickly and then back down again. Over time your speed will increase. I completed c25k a couple of years ago. I struggled to through the last run. I too felt like I didn't really complete it because I never reached the 5k distance non stop. I couldn't even bring myself to run 30 minutes straight even after I was done. I done a couple of 5ks and both times I had to run/walk. So my goal is to be able to run the distance. I toyed with restarting the program. Then last week it hit me that I've been working out consistently for 3 months. I should be able to run 20 mins straight (w5k3) :wink: So I did it! I ran it at 5 mph with the exception of maybe 2 mins at 4.8. That was a major accomplishment for me.

I said that to say that 5.0 is comfortable speed for me. I used that speed to guarantee that I could finish the full 20 mins. For a good workout, I would need bump up the speed a little. This is all do to the speed intervals that I've been doing.

I hope this helps. Feel free to send me a message if like.

sorry for the long post.:flowerforyou:

I may just try the treadmill my next run, although I haven't really fully embraced it yet. I know it could be a useful tool. thanks for the tips!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

I know. We all come out of the program wanting to get faster. The fact is, though, what you're physically best capable of doing is running longer. You need to get a couple of months of miles in before adding in speed work every one to two weeks.

Here's a description of the different kinds of speed drills.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/whats-difference-between-fartlek-tempo-and-interval-runs

Tonight's run felt just awful. Lately when I start i feel so disjointed. Usually I get a flow about .5 to 1 mile in and the second mile feels better. But it never happened for me today. :-(
    Once I find that groove, I feel like I could run forever almost. I'm hoping I find it on race day!

The thought I had while I was struggling through my run was I need to get some cross/strength training going. And I need a new running route. My regular and readily available route is feeling stale.