Dealing with a sick parent

Options
I saw my dad today. He has Parkinson's and it's pretty bad. I go see him once a week and find that I have the hardest time with food for a few days after those visits. I am aware of this and now I am trying to break my patterns. I have to drive 30 minutes home after a visit and I find myself "settling" my head back in a positive place. What I have decided that I am really doing is stuffing all of those emotions deep down, every single week. And then I pile on food to try and deal with it. I have good friends to talk to as well as a loving husband but you can only unload on people so much. I need to find some new ways to unload. I think that I will have a better handle on my food issues if I do. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• MsMelissaG
    MsMelissaG Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try a support group in your area for family of Parkinsons disease... because I'm sure your community offers it...

If not start your own and put an ad out there... someone out there is always dealing with what you are.

Search online for support message boards... they are out there and they are free.

Therapy if you have insurance to cover it.

My mother died two years ago and before she died she had a very long illness. She was super sick and it took a toll on my life. It's hard to see someone you love in pain or sick. I stuffed my face whenever that pain set in. It's only now that I'm trying to get a grip on it. But it took a long time of "venting". I do understand not unloading all the time with family or friends... because sometimes in all honesty they just don't understand. You need to find others who are also in yours shoes or a counselor who will be a listening ear.

My father has Parkinsons also so I know it's not comfortable to watch... you'll get through it... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Hope you are feeling better!
  • dekekim
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response and your understanding. I so much appreciate your kind words and understanding!
  • angelitaJaurigue
    Options
    I am currently dealing with a sick parent. It breaks my heart to see how much she is sufferning. In September she was diagnosed with ALS and it is getting worse by the day. I have put on about 30 pounds due to binge eating because I would eat when I was upset. I am also trying to deal with this and lose weight as well. Thanks for your post!
  • JaimeMWS
    JaimeMWS Posts: 36
    Options
    I also am dealing with elderly and ailing parents. My father has heart conditions that could carry him off at any time - or he can continue to gradually decline. Your posts made me realize that perhaps my weight gain over the past 6 months is linked to my realization last Thanksgiving that this might well be his last Thanksgiving - thanks for sharing!
  • Forest777
    Forest777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I watched my dad die of cancer..horrible. I found that I needed a little more help so I went to my doctor and I got a very low-dose anti-anxiety med. There was no other way for me to get my body to calm down while it was all going on, I was just all stress hormones. It was horrible.

Anyway, not pushing the pharmaceuticals, but it might be worth seeing your doctor too and talking about the stress you are under, from a medical perspective.
  • ergumm
    ergumm Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer in December. It was a horrible thing to just watch him waste away. All I wanted to do was eat! Now, I see a picture or have a memory, or think that mom and dad are both gone and all I want to do is eat!! It helps me to tell myself that they would want me to be happy and healthy and make the most out of my life. I learned more about strength and determination in the last year from my father than I did my whole life!! I think in a way, my sticking in there and making myself a better me is honoring my dad!
  • ergumm
    ergumm Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    one of my friends on here told me about a site called 'pocket hunger coach'. I looked it up and now have it book marked! I suggest anyone that is struggling with anything in their life try this! It's like have an objective person making sense of your feelings for you! I gave it a test run and was amazed how much better I felt when I was done!! It's worth a try!!!
  • ocd_knitter
    ocd_knitter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This topic sure hits home with me. I have been caring for mom since 1994, that was a breeze compared to the last year. Mom is living in a moldy home and it is effecting her mentally. She is now paranoid and suspicious. I have tried every avenue, agency I can think of to get her help. Nothing since I don't have power of attorney. I have to wait for her to get very sick or hurt someone or herself. Stupid law! I get so frustrated when I can't get her help. I either overeat or don't eat at all. Neither are good. I look forward to sharing with this group! :brokenheart: :ohwell:
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions on here. The support group, if you could find one in your area the evening of or day after your visit (when you are your most raw)
    Seeing your family Dr. perhaps a low dose of anti anxiety meds would help.