Modifying and Extending?

Options
sunshinestater
sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
Has anyone modified the program to extend it beyond the 90 days? I plan to use it regularly anyway, so I'm thinking of doing another cycle of 1 and 2 before going to 3 and 4, but with heavier weights and the harder modifications. Then, assuming the higher levels have similar modifications, I would repeat that for each level. I'd love to know if anyone else is toying with something similar.

Replies

• tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    some of us were just discussing this the last few days as I had the same question. I think the consensus was that many of us (despite it only be a 30 min committment) still have some conflicts with scheduling or don't feel prepared to move on so we repeat a bit.

I personally think I'll be almost double the 90 days to finish... to prevent injury I want to make sure that I've become comfortable with the work outs I'm on prior to jumping to the next level...

The goal is to finish no matter how long it takes right!?
  • Thereupon
    Thereupon Posts: 52
    Options
    I think the "90 day" thing is just a guide. The idea behind it is to structure a fitness plan that is set out nice and simply, so all people have to do is put in the DVD and press play. It's the closest we at home can get to a personal trainer setting up a 3 month routine for us! I've seen people call these 90 day scheduled programs "gimmicky", but I do think that people genuinely like the simplicity of not having to plan their workouts.

I think Jillian's ultimate goal is to keep people moving, and hopefully settle into a permanent exercise routine. As long as you're not over/underworking certain muscle groups, I say go for it! (I know P90X lets you repeat weeks a certain number of times if you don't feel up to moving on, so I don't see that this would be much different.) I think as long as you're increasing the intensity with your ability (as you said, increasing weights, modified moves, etc) then you'll probably see results.

I'm nowhere near the end but I'm already thinking about what I might do when I finish this - I don't want to get to the end of week 12 and lose any progress I've made... I personally wish she'd release another 90 day program of what to do next, or maintenance or something, but she's back on Biggest Loser now and has those two young children, so I won't hold my breath for it... :P
  • mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I felt satisfied to move on to workouts 3&4 after two weeks of 1&2, but I think I will stretch out workouts 3&4 at least another week. That's because I have to modify so much and still feel I am working as hard as I can. That would give me extra time to build upper body strength.

I think for each new set of workouts, you can just evaluate how well you can handle it and add extra weeks as needed. But if you try to do all the advanced modifications, it might get boring to keep repeating it instead of just going to the next level.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I missed a few days of 3&4 so I repeated. I am thinking of even doing another week due to how sore I still get. I just have a lot of trouble on push-ups and plank moves. But, I am eager to start number 5&6! I always say the "90 days" is a gimmick. I always think about the movie "there's something about Mary" when they talk about "7 minutes abs" instead of "8 minute abs". If JMBR said it was a 120 day work out, people would want p90 or insanity because it is only 90 days and I will be perfect! Do it regularly and repeat- as long as you are working hard and committing to it, who cares how long it takes!
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, I too wish she would come out with another program. I'm amazed at how much I enjoy her style. I don't get bored too quickly because I'm used to doing Leslie Sansone's walking videos over and over. I think I'm going to try a stepped-up extension of weeks 1 and 2 and see how that goes. The longer I can drag this out, the longer I'll have a program I can't just stop because my big excuse is not having time, and the 30 minute length eliminates that.

I originally went to Target to get Firm Express when I saw JMBR, so I read some quick reviews on my phone and ended up buying Jillian. I suppose I could get the Firm as something to go to when I finish, but I don't really like the fact that it's only three days a week, and many reviews said the steps are hard. Jillian is simple and butt-whuppin'.
  • msuzie
    msuzie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I will be over the 90 days, partially because I repeated 1&2 for a week and 3&4 for a week after I first finished Phase 1 and partially because I fell behind a little last weekend. However, I decided from now on I would just keep modifying and pushing through to the end because it's so much more interesting to switch up the workouts and challenge myself more. Once I finish, I will probably start over from the beginning using heavier weights and (hopefully) less modifications. Workout 7 is killer with the push-ups!!
  • jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I will be over the 90 days, partially because I repeated 1&2 for a week and 3&4 for a week after I first finished Phase 1 and partially because I fell behind a little last weekend. However, I decided from now on I would just keep modifying and pushing through to the end because it's so much more interesting to switch up the workouts and challenge myself more. Once I finish, I will probably start over from the beginning using heavier weights and (hopefully) less modifications. Workout 7 is killer with the push-ups!!

I start Workout 7 on Monday - don't scare me!! LOL! I've definitely realized that I'm worse at the "front body" workouts than the "back body" ones. Something to improve upon! :)
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    The thing I have the most trouble with is the plank. I always have trouble with downward facing dog in yoga too. I'm okay with pushups at this first level, but I can just imagine what's coming.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to modify it to their own needs. I did weeks 1 & 2 for three weeks. I called week one the warm up. I was so extremely sore that I wasn't able to do all of the workouts.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I have to decide what to do by Monday, and I'm definitely leaning toward a stepped-up repeat, although I might check out 3 and 4 out of curiosity.