I'm new here...

Options
Emmea2729
Emmea2729 Posts: 100 Member
Hey,

I used to swim a lot when I was younger, and my form was spot on. I've lost that now. I also can't swim more than 2 25m lengths without having to stop for a break.

So. Why am I getting back into swimming? I'm training for a 5k race for life. Yes, I know that's running, but I have some problems with my hips and figured swimming would be a good way to give my joints a break inbetween runs, but still help to improve my fitness.

So, my main questions.
What can I do to improve my form?
Should I focus on speed, or keep it slow and steady and go for distance?
What do you eat before and after swimming?
Also, I often get stitches (and when running) in my left side, is this something to do with my breathing? If yes, do you use any "breathing strategies"?

P.S. Looking for new friends!

Replies

• ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am new to fitness swimming and would be particularly interested in any exercises/techniques to assist with form.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There are a LOT of drills you can do to improve form - but it really depends what is "wrong" in the first place.

Swimming is really about streamline and efficiency. When face down the water should be at or just above your hairline, turning head to side (not lifting up) to breathe.

A few common drills are here: http://swimming.about.com/cs/techniquetips/a/Freestyl_Drills.htm although there are a LOT more.

I typically do fingertip drag, fist, or catchup drills. It helps get back into form when you get tired and things are getting sloppy.
  • vcollings
    vcollings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here too and just wanted to say hi! I swam competitively for many years when I was younger and through high school and college, and am looking to get back into it too. My suggestion would be to use kick boards and pull buoys for to work on technique and stamina.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have a look at www.swimsmooth.com I get a lot of really good info from there. They have a book that I have borrowed from the library which I think is really helpful to break down technique, and give you some good training schedules.
    Try aqua-jogging as well if you are training for a run (the run along the bottom of the pool type, not the float with your feet not touching one that requires a floaty belt)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!

This..
    Have a look at www.swimsmooth.com I get a lot of really good info from there.

.. and this!

I wouldn't worry about speed, distance or anything at this point but rather focus on perfecting form. This includes mastering:

~~bilateral breathing (breathing strategies as you call it, or strategy rather, is explained in details on swimsmooth.com)
    ~~Catch and pull, meaning proper arm positioning, to become an efficient swimmer but most importantly, avoid swimmers' shoulder
    ~~Body rotation/positioning
    ~~Kick technique
    ~~Proper swim rhythm

Speed and endurance will follow more naturally, once you master all that. Just work on perfecting one at a time at the beginning, as it's hard to get all of them right at the same time. I'm still working on it after 1 and 1/2 year swimming 5 to 6 times a week.

One thing I started doing in the last few months I wish I had started before is some intensity swimming: one length fast, return length slow, another out fast, another return slow, next out fast, return fast, out slow, return slow.. you get the point. This is to practice breathing under intense effort, great for fat burn too apparently - a form of HIIT.

It doesn't matter what you eat before and after swimming as long as you have a balanced, nutritious diet throughout the day/week. Drink tons of water, you may not feel it but you do sweat in the water, it's a workout.

Stitches (is that the pointy pain one feels in the side stomach area?) should go away once you master breathing technique, i.e. blowing bubbles constantly when in the water.

Swimsmooth.com and YouTube.com have been the ultimate source of information for me. I strongly encourage you to check them out.

Feel free to friend me if you want. Good luck!
  • kiwi2006
    kiwi2006 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi.. I started swimming because I'm doing a 5K too! I've managed to go from 10x25m to at least 60x25m twice a week which is helping lots with my feeble attempts at running lol my technique is quite bad but slowly getting better.