EM2LW - Success without heavy lifting?

Options
I know that this thread is very pro heavy lifting; but I do not belong to a gym (right now) and do not have any weights at home, nor can I afford any right now. Once things settle down and I can afford it, I plan on joining the gym again and really want to start heavy lifting, since I have heard so many wonderful success stories...but for now; has anyone been successful without the added benefit of heavy lifting?

I am in week 5 of a 12 week reset (years of exercising and eating below 1200 has made me realize that I need a LONG reset) and I am avoiding the scale like the plague and my clothes are still tight; but fit! :) Just curious about other successes.

Thanks!

Replies

• ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I seem to be doing ok without any major heavy lifting. I have upped my protein levels and I do use a kettle bell for a 10 to 15 minute workout about 2-3 times week but that's the only lifting I do. I got my kettle bell really cheap at a supermarket and use youtube to find kettlebell exercises for beginners so maybe that could be an option for you.
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I seem to be doing ok without any major heavy lifting. I have upped my protein levels and I do use a kettle bell for a 10 to 15 minute workout about 2-3 times week but that's the only lifting I do. I got my kettle bell really cheap at a supermarket and use youtube to find kettlebell exercises for beginners so maybe that could be an option for you.

Thanks for the info... I am headed out today to shop...Will check out the youtube....We camp alot, I guess I could stand by the campfire & swing.. Everyone should probably get out of my WAY!!!! Have a Great Day...
  • Happy2BeMichelle
    Options
    You can try fitnessblender.com and bodybuilding.com. They have some good exercise you can do using your own body weight. In a pinch I have used a gallon of milk or my laundry detergent as a weight. Also there are some good ideas of exercise to use with your canned vegetables on the internet. A resistance band can be helpful too and cost very little. There are lots of great workouts you can do at home and with things you have in your home. Lifting is not required but highly recommended.
  • KWNurse
    KWNurse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you can't join a gym or buy weights for your home, you can still "lift". Definately do push-ups. You can start on your knees and as you get stronger go to your feet. After that, there are lots of variations that are more challenging. Do squats and lunges and as you get stronger, hold heavy objects from around your house. Don't be afraid to get creative and use google.

Also, do HIIT...run as fast as you can for 1 min, then walk fast for 30 sec...repeat 10 x. Good Luck!
  • here
    here Posts: 69
    Options
    Get bags of flour, put them in another bag. Lift! Haha. Get creative. Also, bodyweight exercises for the win!
  • andrea_kohlman
    andrea_kohlman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I like the flour bags & laundry detergent...good ideas! :) Have a great weekend.
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Before I bought my weights, I used maxcapacitytraining.com (all bodyweight exercises, but pretty intense) for 12 weeks and it was pretty awesome. :glasses: There's even a FREE app that you can use to help time yourself and record your workouts! Just another suggestion. :smile:
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing - I have no room in my house for weights (1050 square feet with 3 stepkids on the weekends) and a gym membership that has what I need would require either a long drive or 5x more than I pay now :(

In lieu of heavy lifting, I have started Body By You which is all bodyweight exercises (it's You Are Your Own Gym for women). It's hard to get a straight answer on MFP as to what would be the NEXT best option to heavy lifting (I have no argument with the reasons given for it being the superior type of strength training). But researching the topic elsewhere, I decided to give this a shot. I'm halfway through my 12 week experiment, hoping to drop inches.

Still not sure on whether I'm eating enough. I do know since I started 6 weeks ago, I have been hungrier than I have been since beginning weight loss last July. It's like I can't get enough food. I end up netting between 1900-2100 a day but I am still losing weight, though slowly. I'm set to 1760 net for a goal of 1/2 pound per week, so I'm in the red every day but I almost don't even care.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest strongly that during this time while metabolism is rising to match the level you are eating at, meaning you are eating in surplus for some period of time, you do some great strength training. If doing cardio, you are only burning calories for mechanical movement, it needs no improvement to use the extra calories.

Excess doesn't have to go just to fat, if doing good lifting, it'll go towards muscle mass too, once you've used what you got to capacity anyway, so get there fast.

I'd even suggest skipping cardio beyond walking on non-lifting days, lift 3 x weekly, and lower your TDEE level to Moderately Active rounded down to nearest 100. I'd normally say Lightly Active rounded up, but your are busy with kids already and that raises you up a level.
    That should help in eating less too, but still correct for activity.

Several great suggestions have been given, here's another.
    Just make the body weight exercises, or with additional weight's around the house, like lifting.
    Sets, reps, and rests, to almost failure of good form on last couple reps of last set. Don't make it cardio circuit training, difference response from the body to improve.
    Up to about 15 reps max, 3 - 5 sets if needed.

So for you, normal pushups on toes could be failure doing 3 x 8 - that's great, don't do your knees to make it longer.
    Pullups could be 5 x 2 perhaps - that's great.
    Horizontal pullups may be 5 x 5 - just fine.

Of course lower body is your biggest muscles and biggest calorie burners, and need the most weight to create a load.
    1 legged squats may create that failure on lower reps for quads and glutes.
    Straight-leg deadlifts with those detergent boxes or milk jugs, ect may get you the same thing for the hamstrings.
    May have a bench good enough for step-ups with additional weight for glutes.
    Upright row and shoulder press with that extra weight is usually easy to hit failure for a while. Before moving to body weight moves for shoulders.
    Bent-over row one-armed for upper back is great too.

So use this, point to body part, biggest muscles first (lower body glutes, quads, hams), then upper (back, chest, traps, shoulders), then core.
    Look at the section for body weight exercises, see the form. Maybe look at dumbbell lifts too if you can sub those weighty things around the house. Do the compound moves first, not the isolation lifts unless you just can't hit failure on the compound moves in 15 reps and 5 sets.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtFemale.html
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I know I'm hijacking the thread a little, but thank you Heybales for that response. I've been questioning what I've been trying and you really set my mind at ease to carry on and see what happens in the long run. :flowerforyou: