So I think I might have a problem

Options
SherryRH
SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
A few weeks ago I went to the podiatrist because I was having issue with one of my toes. He basically looked at it and said he didn't know what was going on but didn't think it was a big deal. For the past week or so, my toe has gotten worse. It is very sore, angry, red and puffy. Last night it broke open. It didn't bleed much but so much for it not being a big deal. Now I gotten call this clown back and see if he can see me sooner or later and try to get this toe healed up. I hate doctors right now.

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherry, so sorry to hear this. Although I haven't had this experience, it sounds serious and I hope you get in to see this guy, or someone else for that matter, asap to get this figured out for you and treated fast.

My prayers from me to you for a quick recovery!

Bob
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Good luck! UGH! Hang in there. If he can't see you soon, maybe a walk-in clinic or urgent care. Diabetes is so unforgiving on our feet!
  • xxjoellexx
    xxjoellexx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    DO NOT WAIT. GO TO THE E.R.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    ouch!!! Can you see someone else? I think he dropped the ball :(
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Don't wait on an appointment. Go to the ER or urgent care. As a diabetic that is a very serious issue.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    So sorry that you were misdiagnosed the first time! Hope you get some answers today!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your toe Sherry. I would echo what others have said about the need to have this dealt with by someone with the experience needed to dealt with it effectively. Please do not ignore this or attempt to self treat. Foot problems should always be a priority.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I went to the podiatrist because I was having issue with one of my toes. He basically looked at it and said he didn't know what was going on but didn't think it was a big deal. For the past week or so, my toe has gotten worse. It is very sore, angry, red and puffy. Last night it broke open. It didn't bleed much but so much for it not being a big deal. Now I gotten call this clown back and see if he can see me sooner or later and try to get this toe healed up. I hate doctors right now.

I don't want to frighten you but...

http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/24/2/91.full

Evaluation and Treatment of Diabetic Foot Ulcers
    Ingrid Kruse, DPM and Steven Edelman, MD

Next Section
    Diabetic foot problems, such as ulcerations, infections, and gangrene, are the most common cause of hospitalization among diabetic patients. Routine ulcer care, treatment of infections, amputations, and hospitalizations cost billions of dollars every year and place a tremendous burden on the health care system.

The average cost of healing a single ulcer is $8,000, that of an infected ulcer is $17,000, and that of a major amputation is $45,000. More than 80,000 amputations are performed each year on diabetic patients in the United States, and ∼ 50% of the people with amputations will develop ulcerations and infections in the contralateral limb within 18 months. An alarming 58% will have a contralateral amputation 3-5 years after the first amputation. In addition, the 3-year mortality after a first amputation has been estimated as high as 20-50%, and these numbers have not changed much in the past 30 years, despite huge advances in the medical and surgical treatment of patients with diabetes.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/features/diabetes-wounds-caring-sores

If you have diabetes, there's no such thing as a minor wound to the foot -- even a small foot sore can turn into an ulcer that, if not properly treated, can lead to amputation. The rate of amputation for people with diabetes is 10 times higher than for those who don't have the disease.

Most of these amputations could easily be prevented with good foot care and wound treatment. "You can't always prevent an ulcer, but you can almost always prevent an amputation," says Harold Brem, director of the Wound Healing Program at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I hope you get to a doctor really soon, and that he/she can get it treated. Hope it gets better!
  • SherryRH
    Options
    I think my toe my have had a blood blister. After the sore spot broke open and I was able to get some blood out of it, it actually feels better. It is starting to scab over and it doesn't hurt as much. I have an appointment on Monday with my quacky podiatrist but I am thinking about cancelling it since my toe seems to be getting better.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I repeat my previous advice. Foot problems can become very serious for diabetics. Please get this looked at by a competent medic.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Cancel the podiatrist and get an appointment with the physician who is treating your diabetes. It could be a blood blister... or, it could be a diabetic ulcer. Don't treat it lightly.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Please follow up on this forum. I think a lot of us are worried about you.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about you too because foot problems can turn so ugly, very quickly. Hindsight is a terrible thing to have to face about what you should have gone ahead and done soon concerning your toe. Play it safe....you don't have a guarantee of a perfect future.....Amy
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Sherry... I agree 100% with Laura, don't cancel but see if your regular doctor can see you sooner, then cancel with podiatrist. Glad your feeling better and we all hope things progress well.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

WCUCATS77
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Thanks for thinking of me everyone. Against everyone's advice, I cancelled my appointment. My toe is healing nicely and and it doesn't hurt anymore. It is no longer red and irritated. I also went out to my running store and bought a new pair of sneakers which has helped too. When I went to the running store, I figured on a good week I walk 25 miles a week. I think ill fitting sneakers and 25 miles, that was doing me in. If it gets worse I will definitely call my doctor.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks for thinking of me everyone. Against everyone's advice, I cancelled my appointment. My toe is healing nicely and and it doesn't hurt anymore. It is no longer red and irritated. I also went out to my running store and bought a new pair of sneakers which has helped too. When I went to the running store, I figured on a good week I walk 25 miles a week. I think ill fitting sneakers and 25 miles, that was doing me in. If it gets worse I will definitely call my doctor.

You sound like me. I hope you do get better. Usually nothing bad happens to me when I don't follow other peoples advise. But a couple times it saved my life like once I nearly had meningitis, but a visit to the doctor took care of it and I wouldn't have gone if someone hadn't told me I looked like death warmed over.

Anyway, even if you don't see a doc for this, it sounds like you need to drop the quack.
  • ljdando
    ljdando Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everyone on this post is so right about not ignoring foot problems. I am diabetic and so is my brother. My brother ignored his toe problems and ended getting three of them amputated. He is now at risk of getting his leg also amputated. Diabetes is a very complicated disease that can kill you if you don't take care of yourself and listen to your body.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Everyone on this post is so right about not ignoring foot problems. I am diabetic and so is my brother. My brother ignored his toe problems and ended getting three of them amputated. He is now at risk of getting his leg also amputated. Diabetes is a very complicated disease that can kill you if you don't take care of yourself and listen to your body.

Please don't think I didn't take this seriously or didn't think everyone was giving me sound advice. Had my toe still been at the stage it was at when I started this post, I would not have cancelled my appointment. I only cancelled because it was healing. In fact today I took a nice long look at it and it is almost completely healed and it does not hurt at all.

The big "joke" in our house is someone my husband is going to have to build me a shelf for my feet when they fall off. Of course it is only a joke. I have NO interest in losing my foot because I did something stupid.