Question about heart rate

Options
If I go as hard as I can and really push myself my hrm reads in the upper 90's (usually 97 or 98) then I rest for a little when I can't go no more then I jump right back in going as hard as I can again. I read somewhere that I should keep my heart rate around 90%, I tried that today and felt like I didn't work that hard. I would go hard till it got around 93% then take deep breaths and rest till it got down to 90% then I'd start back in again. Do I continue doing that or do I push myself till my body tells me to rest?

I'm 6'2" 270 and just did pure cardio in week one

Replies

• thetemplateblog
    thetemplateblog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So I am 43 5'11" 202 lbs and my heart rate goes up around the 130's - 150's during Insanity with 160 as a max on my last workout yesterday.

At the upper end I feel a little light headed so I take a little break to slow it down. When I used to do a lot of cycling ( getting back in shape for the summer ) my heart rate would normally be in the neighborhood of 146 ish.

Personally I push myself until I feel physical effects, like I can't stand up or start to get light headed then take a little break.

I hope this helps
    FYI I am in week 1 Cardio Recovery today.
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing! My heart rate actually goes all the way up to 200 with 201 as the max, I felt fine, but stopped anyway since according to the internet my maximum heart rate is 204. So I wait for it to go down to 180-190 and then keep going. Is this normal or am I not supposed to push that hard!?
  • thetemplateblog
    thetemplateblog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am not a Doctor so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I push it until I feel it...

The highest I ever had my heart rate was 185 going up a big hill, I just about fell off of the bike at that point.
  • adaluc
    adaluc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not an expert either but according to the WebMD calculator my max heart rate is 185 which I easily reach during Insanity, though I am only just starting so I think it will get better as I go on. I believe you find your Max heartrate from 220 minus your age. That is the approximate anyway. If I go over 185 then I feel light headed. I've been taking quite a few breaks.
  • veec0
    veec0 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My max heart rate, based on 220-age, is 187 but I can exceed that number, highest I have recorded is 194.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I go as hard as I can and really push myself my hrm reads in the upper 90's (usually 97 or 98) then I rest for a little when I can't go no more then I jump right back in going as hard as I can again. I read somewhere that I should keep my heart rate around 90%, I tried that today and felt like I didn't work that hard. I would go hard till it got around 93% then take deep breaths and rest till it got down to 90% then I'd start back in again. Do I continue doing that or do I push myself till my body tells me to rest?

I'm 6'2" 270 and just did pure cardio in week one

Instead of going by the default settings based on age/weight etc. You might see if your heart rate monitor has its own version of fit tests and run it. It will adjust your levels based on what it learns and should closer match your actual ranges. If your HRM doesn't, you can likely find one online. I had to run mine about halfway through my current P90X/Insanity hybrid. It changed the levels considerably. I'm likely going to do the long version one prior to starting a round of Insanity so that it is more accurate based on my then current fitness level.

Just a thought..