Doctor Who: Bells of Saint John

Options
I have mixed feelings about this episode of Doctor Who. It did keep the suspense alive for learning more about who Clara is, but really it just felt awkward, rushed, and a bit bland. Clara and the Doctor didn't really seem to 'click' in this episode either...probably because it was so rushed. I don't know, maybe I'm just tired. What did you think of it?

Replies

• Richard269
    Options
    Thought it was ok , it would have been a bit longer . Must say I am a fan .
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There was definitely something missing with this episode, not really much depth and rather bland. It was far too easy, so no real excitement. Can only presume that it's setting the scene for something better next week :smile:
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Clara is Ace

Anyone else old enough to remember Ace? Sylvester McCoy's companion.........

I liked Clara better in all of her other episodes tbh, but I expect she'll grow on us. Didn't get a lot of vibes from Billie Piers first episode either, and she worked out ok;)
  • anaquay
    Options
    Anyone else old enough to remember Ace? Sylvester McCoy's companion.........

I remember Ace, in fact I'm old enough to remember Jo Grant and Sarah Jane Smith, who were the companions of the 3rd Doctor Jon Pertwee :laugh:
  • gardendolly
    gardendolly Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can remember the very first Doctor! I remember watching the Daleks from behind the sofa -they couldn't see me there, I thought. I've been hooked ever since.

I'm not sure about tonight's episode. As others have said it seemed to lack something - almost as though it was part of an episode. Maybe they will build on it next week and it will fall into place.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Until I read this posting I thought it was just me, but there did seem to be less plot & more rushing around

I Have been watching Dr Who since day one, in black & white
  • Tastyduckbutter
    Tastyduckbutter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Most of the new stuff is a bit rushed but it's nice to see that the great intelligence is back and can't wait to see the ice warriors in 2 weeks. I just hope they don't make a mess of them in the same way they did with the Silurians. The chemistry between the 2 leads may take time to develop but I already like her and I think Matt is the best doctor since Tom Baker.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I watched it back again and picked up some subtle nuances - I was more taken with her accent changing a bit - it was a good starter though... I guess they needed to plant the seeds of her later story...

There's a lot of dangling threads that have been used in the first two episodes we've seen Clara/Oswin... so I took it as a lot of exposition and hopefully the payoff comes later.

Meanwhile I am still holding off buying Series 7 on DVD until it is a whole box set so I will be mighty grumbly if that doesn't happen!
  • Tastyduckbutter
    Tastyduckbutter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bought the part 1 blu-ray on release and have pre-ordered part 2. I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to this show as have bought every classic DVD and am buying them again on special editions. I will be disapointed if they bring out a complete season 7 set with added features.
  • anaquay
    Options
    Good news for David Tennant fans, both he and Billie Piper will be returning to Doctor Who for the 50th Anniversary episode http://tennantnews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/david-tennant-billie-piper-return-to.html :drinker:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Good news for David Tennant fans, both he and Billie Piper will be returning to Doctor Who for the 50th Anniversary episode http://tennantnews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/david-tennant-billie-piper-return-to.html :drinker:
    :drinker:
    Looking forward to that. There was, an April Fool's article going around on FB about David Tennant returning full time as the Doctor, in a regeneration reverse.

As for the latest episode...I liked it :bigsmile:
  • Pwrpuff83
    Pwrpuff83 Posts: 92
    Options
    It was a bit rushed...and I suppose the "getting to know you" part for Clara felt slightly strange because...well The Doctor ALREADY knows her. Even so, I was a happy camper. Roll on Saturday!