Knee Pain?

Options
Jayne19099
Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
Hi Everyone,

I've started running again over the past few months and I've been noticing some knee pain during and after my longer runs. Yesterday I did 9 km and almost had to stop because my knees hurt so badly. This is the first time my knees have been sore during a run, though sometimes my knees do hurt the day after a run. Today my knees are definitely sore from yesterday's run.

I suppose my questions are is this normal? and is there anything I can do about it?

My fiance has suggested I get new shoes, my shoes are a little on the older side and have been used outside before.

Any advice or comments are appreciated!

note: I typically have the knee pain when I run on the indoor track alone (using 1st pair of shoes) and not as much when I run outside with my fiance (using 2nd pair of shoes) . I'm not sure if it's the shoes or the environment.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'd start with getting new shoes first. Go to a specialty running store and let them fit you for the right kind of shoe. If that doesn't make a difference, post back and we'll see what we can do.
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd start with getting new shoes first. Go to a specialty running store and let them fit you for the right kind of shoe. If that doesn't make a difference, post back and we'll see what we can do.

Definitely, I think you are right. I'm going to get a properly fitted pair of shoes for indoor running. I'll post back next week sometime after I've had the chance to try them out a few times.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Here's something else to consider.

I sometimes get knee pain when I have a tight muscle in my thigh.

I do a little work on a 4" foam roll and it goes away very quickly. It's amazing!

-Bob