Reactive Foods

Options
Hello ~ I'm on day 9 of the plan, but am not too far a long in testing as I have not passed Rye or Beef. My question is about what you guys are experiencing as reactive symptoms. I'm under 35 so I hear it shows up differently for me. For Rye I didn't have any ill symptoms just weight gain. With Beef I didn't feel ill the day of, but did have weight gain. I did a rest day to calm the inflammation and late afternoon on the rest day I started having stomach cramping, being tired, and having a headache. Are delayed symptoms showing up for anyone? I didn't eat anything new on the rest day.

Also do you have any tips when you test reactive to a food?

Replies

• kayceeme
    kayceeme Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi kron104,

I am hoping that some of our members in your age category might chime in, but I can give you my perspective. I believe any day you gain weight or stabilize it is considered a reaction. Likewise any time you test a new food and feel ill, bloated, tired, etc. Or if you find yourself unable to sleep. For me, on nights when I don't sleep well, I almost invariably find that some extra weight shows up on the scale in the morning.

Your question about delayed reactions is an interesting one. I have read that it takes most people two days to fully digest so it would make sense that a reaction could continue that long. However, since it sounds as though your cramping, etc. didn't start until the safe day I might closely examine what I ate, drank, activities etc. on the safe day. Or could it be some hormonal changes that were affecting you?

When I test reactive to a food, I generally give myself two safe days to calm the inflammation. Then, of course, i try to avoid those foods or at least know that if I eat them that I can expect to react. Some foods and occasions are worth a temporary weight gain to me!

Also, the book recommends retesting foods you react to after several weeks as your body changes and becomes healthier and less sensitive the longer you are on The Plan.
  • GmaQueenBee
    GmaQueenBee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Kron104 - I haven't experience many physical reactions but when I do they are within an hour of eating. Generally my reactions are heartburn but when I was testing white bread I had severe cramping and diarrhea.

When I test reactive I take a day or two to rest and hopefully lose the weight that I gained.
  • kayceeme
    kayceeme Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Tried testing fish (tilapia) yesterday and am up half a pound today. But also noticed that I have some yeast going on so maybe it's a matter of having both wine and chocolate in one evening. I don't usually do that.

Or, it could be that I skipped coffee and felt sluggish all day long. Trying to do that from time to time so that I don't become quite so addicted as I was prior to starting the plan.

Or maybe because I used flour on the tilapia before I pan seared it. Thought that would be ok since I passed bread. Sometimes it's just so hard to know. But will test fish again later on.