Constipation on LCHF?

Options
fluffy925
fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
Since i started low carbing a month ago, ive been suffering the most terrible constipation, i eat plenty of veg, and take in enough fluids, but is this a normal occurrence on lchf?

Replies

• k_aLLyN
    k_aLLyN Posts: 9
    Options
    You may not be consuming enough fiber. That is a common side effect when first starting out. Dr. Atkins suggested in his book to take psyllium (sp?) husks to help with the constipation.
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Since i started low carbing a month ago, ive been suffering the most terrible constipation, i eat plenty of veg, and take in enough fluids, but is this a normal occurrence on lchf?
    2 bits of advice..more water..and coconut oil. A tablespoon a day will solve the problem easily as well as help skin/hair.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you girl! No matter how much exercise, water, coconut oil, fiber, veggies I add, I've come to the realization, that while most of my body like the LCHF lifestyle, constipation is a reality for me. I've never been "regular" though, so I'm sort of used to it. I've recently added a stool softener in the morning, and Culterelle probiotics at night.
  • beansNboo
    beansNboo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. It took me a few months to adjust, and then I started noticing I would have trouble any time I had a cheat meal. I think, for me, my body is just slow to adjust to major dietary changes. I was using senna (herbal laxative) on occasion to help at times when it became really difficult. Just be careful to not over-use, cause the adjustment from Senna after its success (hehe) can also be tough. Otherwise, just do what you can diet-wise to help keep things "moving along". Good luck - it'll be worth it!!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking Vitafusion Fiber Well Gummies. yummy. I definitely look forward to these every day, vs conveniently forgetting when I've tried supplementing with some other products.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I had to add a probiotic to my diet.
  • yazziem
    yazziem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take Natural Calm magnesium supplement before bed daily. It is sweetened with Stevia and has no calories or carbs. It's a bit expensive, but all-natural and very gentle and effective.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. It took me a few months to adjust, and then I started noticing I would have trouble any time I had a cheat meal. I think, for me, my body is just slow to adjust to major dietary changes. I was using senna (herbal laxative) on occasion to help at times when it became really difficult. Just be careful to not over-use, cause the adjustment from Senna after its success (hehe) can also be tough. Otherwise, just do what you can diet-wise to help keep things "moving along". Good luck - it'll be worth it!!

Same here, for me it was my body adjusting. It did get easier, but I remember it took a while. Lots of good suggestions from people to test out :)
  • fluffy925
    fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your great ideas, will try out them out to see which one suits!
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to copy my reply I write on the reddit keto group the other day since it's relevant to your question.

My suggestion would be to maybe incorporate flax seed meal. It's 4 carbs a serving, but all of those carbs are fiber (1soluble, 3 insoluble) so it's pretty much zero net carbs. In addition to the fiber content it has omega-3 essential fatty acids and lignans which act as antioxidants. You can eat it like a cereal with unsweetened almond, coconut or soy milk. I sometimes make these nut and coconut oil bars and add flax seed meal in those (it kind of settles on the bottom like a graham cracker crust almost). Rarely I'll make flax seed meal "pancakes". It makes an okay replacement for breadcrumbs too when cooking things like meatballs. You can also just sprinkle in on other food it's kind of a nutty flavor. There's lots of other recipes too, but I just listed things I have tried.

It does seem to help with that issue for some.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    I see this question all the time, and I wonder: Could it be too much cheese? Cheese is a known "binder".
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a cheese eater, but I tend to have issues with constipation. That said, I wasn't very regular before LCHF either.
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    2 bits of advice..more water..and coconut oil. A tablespoon a day will solve the problem easily as well as help skin/hair.

Absolutely agree with the coconut oil.. I feel like I have the opposite problem now that I've been drinking the CO in my morning coffee and cooking with it when appropriate. Water is also excellent!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Try Inner Eco Coconut water probiotics. I'm a low carber too (I use the plain one) 1 tbsp a day should get you going. It works fast so stay near a bathroom when you plan to use it, lol. I like this product b/c it works like a laxative w/o the junky ingredients or side effects. It's just young coconut water & probiotics.www.Inner-Eco.com if anyone is interested in it's health benefits
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My ehm,,, bathroom habits are so regular it's scarey. I do eat loads of veggies, also coconut oil and I also have 15g flax every day. Works really well for me.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I see this question all the time, and I wonder: Could it be too much cheese? Cheese is a known "binder".

Cheese doesn't effect me in the slightest and I eat 30-50g most days. I would try some flax, I use Linwoods organic (I am in the UK) I just have 15g a day on Greek yogurt with berries and chia seeds. I sometimes add almond slithers and sunflower seeds, and seriously, you could set you watch by my bathroom habits.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    fiber binds you.

1. enzymes? take some
    2. water? drink some
    3. digestive tract health? magnesium to the rescue.

happy training, Coach Teresa
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    fiber binds you.

Wish that were true for me. In excess, it has the exact opposite effect on me. Too much fiber in my morning smoothie was forcing me to run to the bathroom with increasing urgency.

Cheap (undigestible) magnesium is a good suggestion.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this before keto, but definitely find it to be an issue now as well. In the past, I used to convince myself that I needed a Venti Mocha and pastry in the morning to ensure things move along.

What I've been doing with keto is a few things:

*I love the Smooth Move teas (found at Whole Foods). I have one cup after dinner most nights, though not if I have an meetings the next morning.
    *Some days I have been using Vega One protein powder in my shakes (unlike other shakes, it's plant-based, so I think it helps).
    *Every day I have a huge raw salad at lunch and then I have some green vegetable (spinach is especially low carb, I find) with dinner.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about fiber is that it depends on the type.

Soluble fiber slows digestion.

Insoluble fiber speeds up digestion.