guidance in starting program

Hey guys,

I have been restricting calories to lose weight and in the past it has worked but not so much any more. I have been struggling to lose the last 5-10 pounds for 3-4 months and the scale WILL NOT move. I tend to restrict to around 1200 (sometimes less) calories a day and work out for anywhere from 45 min (spinning) to upwards of 2.5 hours sometimes (just started going to gym before and after work some days, know this is probably overdoing it), 6 days a week. I have also started to incorporate more weight/interval classes into workout. If I'm being honest, I have "bingy/grazy" days/couple of days maybe 1-3 times a month where I dont count calories and graze more than Im comfortable with(possibly because I'm overhungry?). I don't usually go all out and have huge cheat meals but its more picking at literally everything in my house (a bite here a bite there all adding up to more food then I would eat if I just sat down and made myself a real meal) and not really ever feeling satisfied and having that guilty feeling after that I "over-grazed". and I know that isn't helping me get to where I want to be so Im thinking i need to give this a chance and up my calories to hopefully prevent these days and rev my metabolism, as I have been following these patterns off and on for about 5 years. Im 23, 5'5" and 140 pounds and have very large breasts (sorry if this is tmi but I know that thats always bring up when it comes to my weight), so like I said I know my weight loss desires/stressors are less drastic then some and I dont want to sounds whiny but am still feeling completely lost and looking for any support tips to get started. I'm very hesitant as I think most are when they start "eating more to weigh less" partially because I feel like Its possible that I could be overestimating exercise calories burned. My TDEE based on the calculator is 2532 and calorie amount based on goal (20% reduction) is 2025 which seems like so many calories! Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Seems like you need to do a reset, check out the stickies they are very helpful. I've been on 1200 cal diets and I start my 8 week reset tomorrow
  • skepple
    skepple Posts: 8
    I think im apprehensive to go through a reset because im so anxious to get this couple pounds off and feel like i have been and driving my self crazy for the past 4 months staying at the same weight.

I had one of my overeating weekends and didnt track so im also apprehensive to start with upping my calories to my TDEE w/goal calculated amount after overeating for the past 4 days. Usually after a weekend like this i would be very careful, eat clean, and no more then 1200 calories so its scary to go from this weekend of overeating to upping my cals to the number suggested on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ without a couple of low cal days first. I know this is all part of the bad pattern thinking, any insight/suggestions?
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    I was in the same boat. I had been stuck at 180 for 4-5 months and it was because i wasn't eating enough. I started my reset today and I'm very optimistic! Well although I didn't over eat for 4 days, I did overeat yesterday way past my tdee.
    I suggest just going for it. Surprisingly the scale only increased 0.4 lbs from yesterdays smack down :laugh:
    But once you allow your body to heal you will be so much happier. Read through the stickies that is about people Resetting. Although it isn't very active now, I read through the whole thing and it helped me understand and feel confident in my decision to do this. Obviously things aren't working our way and if we have to gain back those lbs we've previously lost in exchange for a healthy metabolism I'll do it. I love eating and don't want to be stuck netting 1000-1200 calories forever. Also read the upping cals sticky.