Places to Go

Options
calliope_music
calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
the Metroparks: Cleveland's Metroparks are great! beautiful to walk around, great trails, activities for the kids, some have nature centers as well. each trail is clearly marked (sometimes with the distance), so you'd be hard pressed to get lost. also, they all have a multi-purpose trail for inline skating, biking, running, walking, whatever.

Towpath trail: located in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, this is a great place to ride your bike (or walk, jog, etc). you can also walk/ride one way and take the train back!

Cuyahoga Valley National Park: great trails, it's beautiful, and huge! a great place to explore.

what are some other places to go? i really only know about Cleveland...

Replies

• PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting to know Cleveland, and I love the metro parks!!! If you live on the east side of columbus Hocking Hills is only about 45 min - 1 hr drive. They have all kinds of fantastic trails (well marked) with beautiful land marks and scenery. It is absolutely amazing and I never get tired it, in any season. I've gone out for a day trip and have also spent a few weekends there camping or renting a cabin and would hike 6 - 8 miles a day, along with canoeing. there is also horseback riding out there and other sorts of activities http://www.1800hocking.com/
  • camckinney
    camckinney Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Through one of my children's school field trips, we found Rolling Ridge Farm, Millersburg, OH. They take you on a wagon ride and you get to feed all kinds of animals through some really beautiful scenery. Lots of fun with the kids.
  • ohiogal614
    ohiogal614 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I live in Columbus and you can't go wrong with visiting any of the Metro Parks...Great for walking, biking, running, hiking... or just getting your mojo back. Very peaceful and relaxing.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    *** Columbus places ***

Yes, we have wicked-cool metro parks! :) The new splas-pad at the Scioto Mile downtown is wonderful in the summer.

I'm a fan of the Franklin Park Conservatory in Bexley. I've got oodles of pics posted here, if you've got time to browse: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikkiecanuck/collections/72157623436156896/

The Gallery Hop on the first Saturday of each month is always a treat, and is EXCELLENT people-watching!

North Market downtown is delightful. They have cooking classes there too! The spice-shop there is my favorite! Check out the smoked sea-salt. Yum!

Two of my favorite German Village haunts are The Book Loft - a maze of room after room after room of books - and Helen Winnemore's - a lovely little shop full of pottery, glassworks, jewelry, wood carvings - beautiful things!

Greenlawn Cemetery is cool too - part part, part cemetery with lovely mausoleums and statuary.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but here's what I have:

*** Columbus/Newark ***

COSI (science center, actually not bad for walking for an indoor place)

Easton Shopping Center (shopping AND enjoying outside, also has a splash pad for the kids in the summer)

Downtown/Historical Gahanna, Westerville, Powell, or Grove City (all of which have a bunch of little shops on their main drags, and in the summer, they have farmer's markets)

Columbus Zoo and Zoombezi Bay (the Zoo's water park)

A little ways out, there's The Wilds. A giant, safari-like park/reserve.

Goodale Park is also host to the city's annual Comfest, which has some awesome stuff (last year, there was a Capeoira group "performing")

On the day after Thanksgiving, Gahanna has a really nifty night time "parade of lights"

For the pooches, there are 4 or 5 dog parks in the area, too. I know of one in Bexley, off of Livingston Ave, and one in Westerville, off of Schrock Rd. (the Livingston Ave one has a pond for swimming)

I don't know if they have tours, but off of State Route 16, just east of Newark, is the Longaberger HQ, which is a giant basket. Kind of nifty seeing it in real life.

Newark is also home to a number of parks, most of which include old Indian burial mounds.

*** Cleveland ***

More obvious ones - the Great Lakes Science Center (not sure if it's still this way, but last I knew, season passes to COSI are honored here), and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

The West Side Market and the surrounding half dozen or so blocks

The Avenue (downtown, at the Terminal Tower, if for no other reason than the fountains in the main area)

Cedar Point! (not technically Cleveland, since it's out in Sandusky, but still a great place to go)

The Cleveland Zoo and Rainforest (additionally, if you get a season pass to either the Columbus or Cleveland Zoo, they are good at a number of other Zoos)

Findley State Park - trails, camping, swimming

For seasonal stuff, North Ridgeville (about half an hour west of Cleveland, just east of Elyria) has their annual Corn Festival. It's small, but a great excuse to get out and enjoy the weather and the great sweet corn from the area.

*** Rural areas ***

The Holmes/Tuscawaras county area is home to one of the country's largest Amish communities. If you find yourself in the area (or in Canton), it's definitely worth stopping down there for some great food at places like Mrs. Yoder's or the other local restaurants. They also have some great local cheese makers and butcher shops, including Walnut Creek Cheese and Sugar Valley Meats. There are also some neat little bed and breakfast and other lodging places (there's one where the rooms are built into the hill, they look like Hobbit houses, but I don't remember the name offhand).

Bidwell (outside Gallipolis) is home to the Bob Evans farm (or "Homestead"). They have a bunch of events worth checking out.
  • fallintomyworld
    fallintomyworld Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    squire's castle is pretty awesome in Willoughby. lots and lots of trails. ive gotten lost before.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    **Cincinnati Area**

there's a Castle out in Loveland, OH that's super neat. I love our Cincinnati Zoo, and we're so close to Newport, KY that the Aquarium is very nice to visit as well.

If you're into the outdoors, any of the Hamilton County Park's are gorgeous to visit.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I live in Toledo. Just wanted to stop in and day hello. A must to experience is the Northwood Villa. Great food and lots of great history.
  • clspwagner
    clspwagner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cleveland area here, if you go towards Lorain, Day's Dam is a wonderful plus for a run or walk
  • mjessim
    mjessim Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cincinnati Area -

- Winton Woods - running paths, hiking trails, kayaking.
    - Farbach Werner Nature Preserve - Lots of hiking trails.
    - Sharon Woods - Lots of hiking trails, kayaking

Logan County -
    - Hocking Hills
  • MommyLovesHerFurBabies
    Options
    I think it goes without saying that Cedar Point is a major must go! My husband and I can't wait until we get done with out tour here in Japan (he's a Marine) and we get to go!
    2014 might be our year to accomplish this!!!!
  • appleshells
    appleshells Posts: 165
    Options
    We practically live at cedar point!
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I live in Toledo. Just wanted to stop in and day hello. A must to experience is the Northwood Villa. Great food and lots of great history.
    Hello Toledo area here as well. We've also got great metroparks scattered around the area AND a large zoo AND the Art Museum. There's a few great areas. Cedar Point and the Islands aren't far. Now if only we didn't have Winter, it'd be amazing. :laugh:
  • carriepbm
    carriepbm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For "fun in the past", Sauder Village in Archbold is an easy drive from Toledo.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    There is also a Splash pad in Polaris.. right next to benihana :bigsmile:
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    It may be un-Ohioan to say but after many many years of Cedar Point, I don't go anymore. It costs loads of money to wait in line for hours getting shoved around by people... I'd rather spend next to nothing to hide through our many parks, although I'm not a fan of crowds or overly extreme rides anyway. Lol
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Cleveland area here, if you go towards Lorain, Day's Dam is a wonderful plus for a run or walk

Does Lorain still do the International (Food) Festival?
  • CraftMamaDee
    CraftMamaDee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting to know Dayton I am more familiar with the Cincinnati area..

Cincinnati:
    Jungle Jims is a giant store in Fairfield they just opened a second.. http://www.junglejims.com/ this place has foods and items from all over the world. Giant selection of specialized fruits and ingredients and its much like an amusement park with all the crazy animatronic decorations and attractions all over the store.

The Beach Waterpark in Mason http://www.thebeachwaterpark.com/ They have a wonderful winter event too.

Kings Island which is now owned by cedar point - that's also in Mason.

Cincinnati Museum Center- Wonderful museum (love the childrens museum there!)

Cincinnati Zoo and botanical garden is beautiful! I even love their festival of lights in the winter.

Krohn Conservatory - I went here on my first date with my husband right now they have butterflies! :D

Mount Airy Arboretum is beautiful as well :)

Heritage villiage museum- We went here as kids on field trips and its a lot of fun! http://www.heritagevillagecincinnati.org/home.aspx

Dayton so far we've been to:

Wegerzyn Garden park they have a lovely splash park with small stream andwater fall area for kids. As well as a big sand table and sound maze. http://www.metroparks.org/Parks/WegerzynGarden/Home.aspx

Tuken's orchard - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tukens-Orchard-Farm-Market/472783662797081 we go here in september and pick apples. They have the best apple cider slushes for a sweet treat!

Young's Dairy - http://youngsdairy.com/

Boonshoft Museum of discovery - http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/?Itemid=109 this one is another great place to take kids! :)

The Western Antique Aeroplane Museum is great too http://www.waaamuseum.org/?gclid=CICeruTUnL4CFahAMgodOEoAGA

National Museum of the US Airforce - http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Anyone in Dayton have any more great recommendations? We are newly discovering our new town but we often end up traveling towards Cincinnati to our old haunts.