Options
Hi, i'm new to this group. I weight 406 and want the sleeve but my doctor has suggested the bypass which I am leary of. i started out wanting the band but decided i didn't want anyhing thing foreign in me. "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" Smile. Right now I'm in a 3 month class and then a date scheduling. Sleeve or bypass and are you satisfied with your choice? I'm 54 and starting my life over again from scratch. Though it's scary, i want to make the right choices this time around.

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I had bypass, seven months ago. I don't know much about the sleeve. I would never recommend the band, because I have met too many people in support groups that had problems, and needed additional surgeries. But I can't say enough about bypass. I've lost a ton of weight (actually only an eighth of a ton), and no longer am diabetic, or on medication of any kind. I have had no complications or problems. Highly recommended.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve 8 months ago. I started this process wanting the lapband, but surgeon discouraged it due to the fact that I was close to 350lbs. It took me 3 years to decide to have the sleeve against my doctors advice that the bypass would probably be a better choice given my eating habits. I am very happy that I chose the sleeve, but I do believe the DR was right that the best choice would have been the bypass. I have slowly been falling into old habits and still have a long way to go before I reach my goal.
    For myself, I could not bring myself to go thru the actual procedure of a bypass.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You should go on the OH BMI over 50 forum. There are a lot of heavyweights there who got the sleeve.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/bmi_over_50/

My highest weight was 339. I decided on bypass. It was the right choice for me. Most sleevers I know have to keep their calories super low to maintain a low weight. I love to eat, so I would not have been happy with that.

If you get the sleeve and do not lose all the weight you want to, you could revise to a DS later.
  • babypom3333
    Options
    I have the sleeve, I had originally wanted the bypass, but my Dr. thought the sleeve would better serve my weight loss needs. Sleevers do have to watch their calorie intake, but with a tummy that only holds 2-4 ounces its not that difficult. Sleeves do have less chance of problems, but with a sleeve you do have to have a bit more will power than with a bypass. With bypass you get ill if you eat too many carbs or too much sugar, this is not the case with the sleeve. With the sleeve you can eat pretty much anything. So if you are like me.....a carboholic....a sleeve requires more effort to change your eating habits. I wish you the best of luck with your journey...
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I, too, wanted the sleeve, but was convinced that the bypass would be better for me. I had issues with reflux, diabetes, PCOS, and I was 325 to start. I had surgery 3 months ago and have lost 81 pounds overall since the beginning of the process. The eating is really not an issue, as you quickly learn what you can and can't eat. I am rarely hungry, and really stay focused on my goals and following the doctors instructions. I do not cheat! I did not go through this process to not stay focused.

My mom, on the other hand, had the sleeve because she was worried about the nutrition side of things. I have lost almost as much as her already, and she is a year further out than me. She finds that the recovery and the sleeve surgery were great, but that she has eating habits that creep back in when she least expects it. She's a night snacker.

All of that being said, the most important thing to do is what YOU are comfortable doing! The post surgery success is all about what you put into it. There are many people who are hugely successful with both the sleeve and bypass (and some that have had great luck with the lapband), but you will soon discover that those people are working hard at being successful. WLS is, after all, only a tool.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I had RNY just over 12 months ago and I don't regret one tiny itty bit of my decision! Best wishes!!!
  • krista1020
    Options
    I had RNY 5 weeks ago...let me tell you why...
    I orignally wanted the sleeve, but because I have severe GERD the doctor and I decided that I should have RNY instead. I had severe esophogus lesions (they did a biopsy to be sure it wasnt' cacner). Now I have absolutely no GERD and I have greatly reduced my risk for devleoping esophogal cancer. For me RNY was the right choice, but you have to make your own:) I can say that it wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be and I was back at work teaching elementary school in 2 weeks. Good Luck:)
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the best thing you have ever done for yourself. I'm having the sleeve in late April, or early May as I' just completed the 6 month program required by my insurance company. I've done a lot of research and agree with others that the lap-band is probably not suited for those of us with a lot to lose. I've read several medical publications that indicate that Europe, which is ahead of the curve as per bariatric surgery, is rarely even using the band now due to complications. I chose the sleeve because studies show that it is very effective and has less complications than the by-pass such as nutritional deficiencies or dumping syndrome. Still, if you've chosen a doctor you trust I'd listen very carefully to his reasons in choosing the by-pass for you. Like you I have a lot of weight to lose and it's possible that the sleeve may not allow for as great a loss as the by-pass, but for my age and having other health issues, I decided it's my best choice. I think you'll find this is an excellent site for keeping you both informed and motivated. You've already made a good decision to take charge of your life!
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    hi. I had bypass 5-9-12 and lost over 100 lbs. I started at 347 lbs and BMI of 55.

my doc does not do the sleeve up here just cause there is not a big request for it.

I was nervous about the surgery but my blood pressure is way lower and my meds are 1/2 of what they were. my back does not hurt like it once did. I am able to play with my 3 grandsons and I am enjoying better health.

whichever you choose to have good luck to you.
  • universeismine
    universeismine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I can relate to your current status. I am scheduled for gastric bypass surgery on 4/23/13. I started off at 400 lbs. while going on my journey for Gastric Bypass. I would highly suggest the Bypass because it is the best considering current morbid obesity and componded complications due to it. If this helps.... I am currently on 3 Rx's for hypertension. In addtion to being borderline diabetic, elvated cholestrol, and osteoarthritsis. The other surgical choices would not help me establish the outcome of total weight loss that is needed being this obese. SOooo... I would highly recommend the bypass if it fits your total health goal. I had a dear friend that had lapband which turned close to tragic due to it slipping. It went up his esphogaus (sp?). He was in ICU for days and recovered. He recently had bypass and is doing AMAZING. Any type of surgery is serious business and you have to be willing to wrap your whole mind and body around the process. Hopefully this was helpful?
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hello! I can relate to your current status. I am scheduled for gastric bypass surgery on 4/23/13. I started off at 400 lbs. while going on my journey for Gastric Bypass. I would highly suggest the Bypass because it is the best considering current morbid obesity and componded complications due to it. If this helps.... I am currently on 3 Rx's for hypertension. In addtion to being borderline diabetic, elvated cholestrol, and osteoarthritsis. The other surgical choices would not help me establish the outcome of total weight loss that is needed being this obese. SOooo... I would highly recommend the bypass if it fits your total health goal. I had a dear friend that had lapband which turned close to tragic due to it slipping. It went up his esphogaus (sp?). He was in ICU for days and recovered. He recently had bypass and is doing AMAZING. Any type of surgery is serious business and you have to be willing to wrap your whole mind and body around the process. Hopefully this was helpful?

I couldn't agree more. I had RNY less than eight months ago, and it's been a life saver. I was off of all my meds, including diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol, within two weeks of surgery.

Good luck on your surgery on the 23rd.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. I had RNY less than eight months ago, and it's been a life saver. I was off of all my meds, including diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol, within two weeks of surgery.

Good luck on your surgery on the 23rd.

Ditto! Eight months post-op and feeling like a totally different person. My doctor actually told me I was thin. I made her repeat it. I have been on diets since I was 10 years old. I have lost and gained hundreds of pounds over the past 45 years. Today, my BMI is 24. It was 44 nine months ago. I still worry that this is a dream and I will wake up fluffy again! Having gastric bypass surgery (RNY) was the best decision I ever made. Just wish I had done it years ago! Sleeve or RNY, it is your choice. Listen to your doctor and do some research. We are here to support you! Good luck!!
  • sakaca1
    sakaca1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much, I appreciate all of your comments. Such great info and very encouraging.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was torn between the sleeve and RNY also but I asked my surgeon what would be best for me, and he said the sleeve. A co worker had the sleeve done and she did great so I was kinda leaning towards the sleeve anyways plus I didn't really like the idea of them messing with my bowl like they have to with RNY. I had sleeve surgery 6/11/12. I started out at 270 on 2/1/12 and lost 47 pounds pre op from 2/1-6/11/12. I have lost 91 pounds post op for a total lost of 138. I love my sleeve. It is the best thing I have ever done. I just wish I had done it before I was 48 years old. I had thought about the lap band a few years ago but after going to a seminar I decided I didn't want anything foreign in me. My WLS program doesn't really do many lap bands anymore.
    You have to make the choice of what you want to have. Do alot of research on it and it will make your decision easier. My surgeon thought the sleeve was best for me cause I didn't have diabetes or high blood pressure. I have noticed alot more sleeves being done at my program. I think most insurance companies cover it except Medical Care now. Many say you don't loose as much with the sleeve but I haven't had that problem. I weighed in at 132.6 today. RNY does have the dumping issue where with the sleeve you usually don't have that issue. Good luck!
  • gaiagal3
    gaiagal3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had the bypass and almost died due to severe complications. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and was on a ventilator. I had a leak (which can be a serious complication with this procedure). I came home with a wound vac and had to be on IV nutrition for 2 months. It was awful. That being said, I don't think people shouldn't get it. Feel free to add me if you like :) Good luck on your journey!
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My primary care doc suggested RNY, but I was leaning towrds a sleeve. My surgeon agreed the sleeve was good for me and I did it on 11/21 at 278 lbs. As of this morning, I am 213. Listen to your own inner voicem it was steer you right. AND GOOD LUCK!!!
  • sakaca1
    sakaca1 Posts: 3
    Options
    You guys are the best!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    RNY gastric by pass Oct 2010. My only regret is that i did not do it sooner. I am 61 and my weight loss has meant new life! A RNY put my diabetes into total remission, enen after 2+ years, no more sleep apnea. I facilitate a couple of support groups, know people with all types. It is an individual decision, From all my research, i would do the RNY gastric pypass again. The eating changes are permanent and i look only forward to personal growth
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I also wish I hadn't waited so long to have the sleeve. I am very grateful to have another chance at a more productive life. My surgeon thought I would be a better candidate for by pass and he was right. I am finding it too easy to over eat and eat the wrong foods. I know that regardless of the procedure it is up to me to make it work.
  • atakins
    atakins Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had an RNY on the 15th of January. I was back at work full-time 3 weeks later (had been back part-time from home for a week before that). The first 3 weeks are the hardest, IMO, because you're struggling to find a rhythm, and your body is like "NO! I have no idea what's going on!" After that, it gets easier.

I've lost 96 lbs. as of today (in 92 days). I will never look back.

Related note: my best friend had the sleeve 2 months before me. He's lost much less weight, percentage-wise, and much more slowly. Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with the sleeve, though - I think he's not taking advantage of the surgery's benefits to re-form his habits like he needs to.

The surgery is just a tool - that's why some people aren't successful with it - they use the tool wrong, or don't use it at all.