New to Group

Options
duffyzmom
duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
Hi all! I'm a cancer survivor who was sent into menopause due to chemotherapy. It has been two years since my treatment ended and I'm shocked at this weight gain. Any tips would be greatly appreciated? I am using premarin creme for some of the physical side effects of menopause. I'm now having some extreme night sweats. I had lymphoma so this has been checked out by my oncologist. Next stop my endocrinologist, I have hashimoto's so I'm half hoping some of the 15lb gain is thyroid related :ohwell:

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hi there Welcome ! I too am a Cancer Survivor (Breast Cancer) I gained quite a bit of weight too and it's been awful getting off and keeping it off. I took off 27lbs but due to injury put 15 of it back on. And it's been such slow going for me.
    I can't use any type of hormone treatment as my Cancer was Hormone receptive.

The night sweats are horrible for me too. The only tips I can give is patience and don't get discouraged. I've decided to stay off the scale as I think it makes me more frustrated. I've been lifting heavy weights twice a week and I see a diffence in my inches.

Good Luck!
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Thanks JoJo -
  • cricketdc
    cricketdc Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am 48 years old and I have a 26 year old daughter getting married this October. I have been in this road 4 times - gaining and losing. And I am sick and tired of it. I am working with a personal trainer that is pushing to do things I could not imagine I could do. I am very happy about it. I haven't lost as much in 3 weeks but 3.2 is not bad. I purchased my mother-of-the bride gown last year when I was 6/8 size, now I am back to 12. I have 6 months to go and I ready to get there. I am hoping that you can all help me and like wise I can help you.

I have noticed that my metabolism has slowed down the last few years, so I am sure my time is ticking - menopause.
  • dwntwnpengrl
    dwntwnpengrl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too. 43. I've been perri-menopausal for about two years. I'm also a breast cancer survivor (12 years ago - Stage 1b, ER+, lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen for 1.5 year). Also hypothyroidism.

So, no HRT for me either. I found an interesting combo of anti-depressants actually helped with the hot flashes and night sweats. So, that may be an option for you if you're game.

I wish my 20 year old self would have listened to everyone who said it was easier to lose weight then - it sure was! I've noticed the past year or two metabolism really slowing down. So, all I can really do is eat right and exercise. It'll come off eventually but it's going to be a long haul!
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Good News for me - my thyroid was out of wack. Doctor's office called yesterday. Thanks goodness because 15lbs in only a few months is a shocking amount of weight gain for me. I'm hopeful now that my energy level will increase to where I can actually get all my exercise in and continue to function day by day.