N.E.S.S Model for Healthy Living

Options
Hello everyone!

This weekend, I attended Black Alumni Weekend for my alma mater - the University of Virginia. While there, I took a seminar by a graduate of UVA, Dr. Deborah Stroman who is a professor at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill. She presented the 4 components of the N.E.S.S model for healthy living which are:
1. Nutrition
2. Exercise
3. Sleep
4. Spirituality

Now, I've heard of all of these things in terms of living a healthy lifestyle, but I wanted to share a few things with you all that I think are encouraging. I know we all know about eating healthy, but I think that this weekend - it really hit home for me. She discussed the dangers of processed foods, sugar, etc and I realized that I could have probably been at my goal weight by now if I cut back on my sugar intake! If we really make a conscious effort to THINK about what we eat and really evaluate if we're fueling our bodies or trashing it - it can really impact how we see food. When we eat junk, we look like junk!

Another key component that stood out to me was spirituality. I know that on MFP, we all have different religious beliefs. However, for those of us who are Christians - the Bible reminds us that our bodies are our temples. When I think about an actual temple, where services are held - I remember that temples are clean, they are decorated and they are kept in excellent condition. When I asked myself if I treat my body that way - I had to honestly evaluate if I was treasuring it the way I should. She shared an interesting point in general - regardless of religious beliefs and simply said that spiritually, we have to be positive, encouraging and mentally focused on living a healthy lifestyle.

Just wanted to share a brief summary of a few of the awesome things I learned this weekend... Remember, we are in control of our goals and how we accomplish them. It's mind over matter! You a stronger and powerful than you may think. Fuel your bodies for LIFE and exercise to live longer.

Stay encouraged pals!

Replies

• SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and sounds like it was an amazing experience. This is a reminder why and what we do this for! I will definitely start looking into my sugar more on logging....I am sure it possibly could be slowing my process up to.... Thank you!
  • Addicted2_fitness
    Addicted2_fitness Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    AMAZING post! Thanks so much for sharing with us!
  • eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing yes this is so true about how we are treating our bodies.. i will be looking at the amount of sugar i eat and cut back... thank you again
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing...I have to watch my sugar intake as well....along with sodium. If I eat as clean as possible I find I can do this with no problem! So the thing is eating clean.
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    This is very insightful! Thanks for sharing!
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting
  • tgmoore34
    tgmoore34 Posts: 18
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for sharing. I know I need to reduce my sugar because I am a bonafided sugarholic:) I am motivated to reduce.
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    Amazing post. I haven't been much attention to my sugar intake lately but I will start. Thanks hun.

Question for anyone who would like to share their thoughts: Do you think we should also pay attention to how much sugar is in our fresh fruit?. I LOVE fruit and eat it on a daily basis and know that there is a lot of sugar in it. I have had the attitude of as long as its sugar from my fruit, I'm not gonna worry about it being high.
  • FabulouslyFitTam
    FabulouslyFitTam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Amazing post. I haven't been much attention to my sugar intake lately but I will start. Thanks hun.

Question for anyone who would like to share their thoughts: Do you think we should also pay attention to how much sugar is in our fresh fruit?. I LOVE fruit and eat it on a daily basis and know that there is a lot of sugar in it. I have had the attitude of as long as its sugar from my fruit, I'm not gonna worry about it being high.

I actually heard that we should monitor fruit intake. I usually stick with 2-3 servings/day. Fruit is also high in carbs too. But, as always - fruit is always better than a candy bar! lol
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options

I actually heard that we should monitor fruit intake. I usually stick with 2-3 servings/day. Fruit is also high in carbs too. But, as always - fruit is always better than a candy bar! lol

Lol. Thanks. I heard that before too. I crave it a lot.
  • KAY1BELLE
    KAY1BELLE Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I bet that was a great seminar! I am currently restricting fruit kinda like phase one of atkins. I have reduced my sugar intake since Nov of last year this includes white bread products & juice products. I have seen the greatest reduction in my body fat.
  • FabulouslyFitTam
    FabulouslyFitTam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bet that was a great seminar! I am currently restricting fruit kinda like phase one of atkins. I have reduced my sugar intake since Nov of last year this includes white bread products & juice products. I have seen the greatest reduction in my body fat.

congrats - that is awesome!!! I'm definitely trying to lose about 8% more body fat so I know that I gotta get rid of the white sugars and reduce a lot of the carbs. you definitely gave me some confirmation of what I need to do!
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206
    Options
    Very true! Good stuff, and I need to cut back on all the hidden sugars