Anybody get to ideal goal weight after doing Metab Reset?

Options
norcal_yogi
norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
I am considering a reset. Before I fully jump in I'd really would love some stories/details from those who have done the reset (because of plateauing or previously harming their metabolisms by eating VLCD) and arrived at their *ideal* bf% and/or goal weight after a 10-15-20% cut-- this includes *vanity* weight or goal.

thanks in advance. I pretty much know I should do this, but as many others have expressed and experienced, it's a little nerve wracking! :smile:

Replies

• amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi:smile:
    Do the reset. I am now on a good trend again after resetting for 8 weeks last fall. Nobody but me would say I should lose fat or weight but I am vain.:ohwell: I want to look the way I want to look and I know it is possible for me because without any conscious effort I maintained at my *goal* weight for several years without a hint of dieting. My *goal* weight has probably shifted upwards, though, because I had less muscle 10 years ago than I do now. I'm really going for a certain look/size. The great thing about the reset for me is that I discovered that I can eat ALOT more than I thought, and gaining weight takes consistent eating above TDEE. I never fully realized how that worked-it was always some mystical thing to me.:embarassed:

I found EM2WL after gaining 10 lbs a few years ago after a lifestyle change. A year ago I was sick of the extra weight so I embarked on the traditional 1200 cal diet and lost the 10 lbs. within four months but I still didn't look the way I wanted to and felt tired and ill. I got bronchitis in the summer which put me out of commission for several weeks - and I never usually get sick like that. Plus my nails and hair were brittle and dry. This is before I even knew what TDEE and BMR were so I was eating under my BMR for four months and I felt really crappy! I don't know how people keep this up for years!

I am losing fat/gaining muscle and as I age (I'm 47) this is more important to me than weight. And this is on a cut off TDEE of 5% - 10% so I'm eating about 1600 to 1700 calories a day - I'm 5'3 and lightly to moderately active.

I am doing this fat loss slowly so I would guess I may need another 6 months to get where I ultimately want to be but I am making strength gains every week so I am definitely building muscle. I feel really healthy and strong and not deprived in the least. I am sick of logging food but try to take a TDEE (or above) break every few months to coincide with kids vacations which keeps me sane.

I'd say wrap your head around it, think long term and go for it!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am sick of logging food but try to take a TDEE (or above) break every few months to coincide with kids vacations which keeps me sane.

Well, there's your problem, you need to eat the same boring foods all the time so it's easy. Kids like boring, right?
    :tongue:
  • norcal_yogi
    Options
    Awesome Amanda! Thank you for your reply.... :-)

Anyone else? I am vain as well.... there is a look that I also know I can achieve as I too, was able to attain and keep that look for several years without too much effort. Now I am 5-10 lbs higher and cannot for the life of me figure out why -- except for age...and except that I do/teach intense yoga 3-5 days a week on top of my usual long, hilly walks. I *do* know that I have substantial more muscle and strength now than I did years ago. Again, I am vain, I will admit it. There is a visual fat that I would like long gone, yet my usual tactics are *not* really working!
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Very good thread. Amanda, you explained that SO well...the "logistics", the emotional part of eating more. Thanks! I only have a few more lbs to lose, but I may end up doing a reset at some point to tone my body b/c it still doesn't look how I would like it to.

Thank you!
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have not completed a reset, and am fighting it for basically all the things that you are mentioning. I know that I'm probably below my "set weight" right now, but really don't want a reset to make me re-evaluate my goals or perhaps not be able to get back to my goals.

I am working may way towards a reset slowly... trying to wrap my head around it more.

Feel free to add me!
  • norcal_yogi
    Options
    I have not completed a reset, and am fighting it for basically all the things that you are mentioning. I know that I'm probably below my "set weight" right now, but really don't want a reset to make me re-evaluate my goals or perhaps not be able to get back to my goals.

I am working may way towards a reset slowly... trying to wrap my head around it more.

Feel free to add me!

yeah me toooooo. :smile:
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    When i read these posts i am amazed at how similar all of your journies to mine. I am also trying to get downn about 5-10 lbs. I was that size for years without trying...gained the weight and cant tell you why and i am totally frustrated. After trying vlcd...obviously was miserable and plateued. I am going to add you ladies if you dont mond!
  • norcal_yogi
    Options
    When i read these posts i am amazed at how similar all of your journies to mine. I am also trying to get downn about 5-10 lbs. I was that size for years without trying...gained the weight and cant tell you why and i am totally frustrated. After trying vlcd...obviously was miserable and plateued. I am going to add you ladies if you dont mond!

don't mind at all! :-)

yeah, i knew we weren't alone.... the whole gaining without knowing why is super frustrating. i know that i'm getting older so hormones *may* be coming into play a little, but i have a good feeling that's not the main reason. my hormone and thyroid levels are normal -- totally healthy per my doctor.

the one thing i changed in my life that coincided with my weight gain was that i started practicing vinyasa yoga -- so a vigorous practice at least 3-4-5x a week (in a hot room). AND... like mentioned above, whenever i've taken a break from 'normal' exercise (since the weight gain), i've *lost* -- and noticeably. i went to Hawaii back in Dec. for a total of 12 days.... came back almost 7 (seven!) pounds lighter. seriously. and since Dec. watched the scale inch up - going along with my daily hilly walks and yoga practice (i am an instructor).

i do not intend on not being active. it's who i am. i could eat quite a bit more....but when i tried that, i gained 5+ pounds -- from my newer mystery gain!

so big ugh....