How can I tell what body frame I am?

Options
I use to be heavier at 220lbs and now I'm down to 194lbs still, yay! =)
I'm 68 inches tall (5'8") and a female. My arm are getting slimmer and toner. I'm not muscular though. I have thin wrists and ankles. I know I'm not a small, but I'm guessing I'm medium. I'm not exactly sure. How can I tell?
Also, I'm a spoon/pear figure.

Replies

• ark5229
    ark5229 Posts: 6
    Options
    I read this in something like an "Ask Marilyn" section of a magazine.It's not super accurate, but wrap your hand around your wrist. If you can't wrap it completely around, you are large boned; if your thumb and middle finger touch you have a medium frame; if your fingers overlap you're an elfin waif (their words, not mine).
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I read this in something like an "Ask Marilyn" section of a magazine.It's not super accurate, but wrap your hand around your wrist. If you can't wrap it completely around, you are large boned; if your thumb and middle finger touch you have a medium frame; if your fingers overlap you're an elfin waif (their words, not mine).

That's an interesting concept. According to that I would be a small frame, but I always thought I was medium.
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    Wow, really? How interesting. I did that and I guess I'm medium framed. Thanks =)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    http://health.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Wrist

This link will actually let you calculate it based on wrist circumference. Cool, no?
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    Perfect. I'm Medium framed. This helped too, Thanks =)
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    Options
    Apparently I'm small-framed, and my ideal weight range is between 118-130 lbs - i think this would be too little for me! I'm 145ish now (haven't weighed myself all month so not sure) and only looking to lose another 8-10! I want to keep my curves!!
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    Wait, my fingers overlaps when I wrapped them around my wrists. There's no way I'm small framed. I've always thought I was large framed.
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    Me too
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on wrist sizes as a guide to frame! Particularly if you are a pear shape! My fingers overlap on my wrists (think they're around 5.5" around) yet my hips and shoulders are 38" (at the bone!) and at my skinniest weight, the smallest trousers that would fit were a UK10/US6 - my frame would never get small enough to fit anything smaller than that.

Going by the test above, I'd be a waif - in reality I'm medium/large framed.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just work on your weight loss and fitness and being healthy and as you get slimmer and fitter it will all become apparent to you. It doesn't usually become an issue unless you have a large or very small frame causing you to be bigger or smaller and have issues with finding clothing that fits. I have a very small frame, a very small bone structure in just about every way and that has always been apparent to me because of being at a lower weight, but still looking healthy and fit, how even some xs clothing can be big and baggy on me and just seeing how my size compares to others, needing to shop at stores that carry a wider range of sizes and understand that everything needs to be scaled down in the smaller/petite sizes. My wrist is less than 5 inches (I guess it's about 4.75) and my waist is 23 inches (it was even smaller before I had my two children). In bras I wear a 28 band size at most because I have a small rib cage. Rib cage size is a big factor in frame size and it can be difficult to determine that for people that are overweight.
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    My mistake I guess I'm small framed. I've always thought I was large.
  • penguinattackstudios
    penguinattackstudios Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Whelp that's dissapointing. I always thought I was a medium, guess I'm a large (barely, but still a large regardless).