exercises

Options
Just joined MFP and was wondering what exercises you do. I am currently walking with Leslie Sansone but is there anything else that is gentle on my fibro. Can't do situps or anything involving my back for the most part as this really causes pain. Any ideas? Oh and feel free to add me as a friend!

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Swimming is very good. Very gentle on the muscles.

Zara.
  • Nitharaye
    Options
    Hello. I'm new to the boards. I have fibromyalgia and lupus. I tried aquatic therapy but I seemed to hurt worse afterwards. So I'm looking into other methods to get me moving without throwing me into a flare. So far I have struggled through yoga (on DailyBurn).
  • flyithi
    flyithi Posts: 8
    Options
    My Dr. says the best FM exercise is walking, low impact aerobics and swimming. I've been doing those for 2 years but hit a weight loss plateau last summer. I changed things up this year by logging onto this site, got a trainer for strength exercises and weight lifting and I still mix in the old stuff also. Doc is very against strength training and weights but the research I read says it is a good thing. I still have pain but I needed to shake things up. I haven't lost much weight but my balance and core strength is improving. I'm attacking the weight loss with better nutrition so I hope I have the right combination now.
  • Sybalan
    Sybalan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Just joined the group but have used MFP for a while off and on , I have Fibro, CFS :yawn: and a few other problems, I am now the heaviest I have ever been in my life and it is playing havoc with my fibro pain, my breathing, but determine to get the weight off :tongue:
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had posted a thread before I saw this. I started out at 300+ and have dropped almost 25 pounds just stationary cycling. My doctor suggested walking, but walking is difficult with my cane for more than five minutes, let alone longer. The cycle is much easier and burns more calories for the time period. I added yoga this morning and while I couldn't do some of the poses, I do feel pretty good. So I'm trying both, cutting back my cycling to 30 minutes so I don't send myself into a terrific flare from doing too much.

Also, wall push ups have been good to me. I don't think strength training will ever happen for me. I have nerve damage in my back and partial numbness in my right hand. I can't grasp anything tightly.
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi guys i have Fibro and have today started pilates, it was very hard and i do ache a lot but i feel that it will be worth it in the long run. If i can strenthen my core i think it will be helpful. I also believe calanetics (sp) is good because its very gentle and also strengthens you. I have an exercise bike at home which i have rarely used but will start to again. My weight fluctuates but i will keep at it. Feel free to add me if you like x