Would you taper for a 10k?

Options
M_lifts
M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
I usually run 3-4 miles (2-3 times) during the week and a long run (10 miles+) at the weekend. Also do insanity twice a week. Do I need to taper for a 10k race? I skipped my long run this weekend and cycled instead. This is actually my first 10k race, have run a half marathon last month and tapered properly for it. However, not sure for short races. Suggestions would be great

Replies

• runrunjohnny
    runrunjohnny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In short: yes, but not like a taper for a longer distance.

In general, I would not run the two days prior (maybe an easy 1-2 mile run the day before to loosen up)
    For the rest of the week, I would cut my mileage by 30%-50%
    There isn't any gain to your race performance by pushing it in those last 7 days. Just let the legs get some rest.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I usually run 3-4 miles (2-3 times) during the week and a long run (10 miles+) at the weekend. Also do insanity twice a week. Do I need to taper for a 10k race? I skipped my long run this weekend and cycled instead. This is actually my first 10k race, have run a half marathon last month and tapered properly for it. However, not sure for short races. Suggestions would be great

I've never seen a training plan with a taper for anything other than a marathon. When dealing with training plans for shorter runs, including the half, there's no particular need for a taper because the stress that you're putting your body through doesn't benefit from a taper.

It might be help to set up an account over at runnersworld.com so you can access

http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com

Drop in some data and fiddle with the pages that generate a training plan for various distances and you can get an idea of how to change a training manages the miles in the final weeks.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

If you are going to go all out for a race, then you should taper for every distance, imho.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It depends. If it's a major goal race for me, meaning I'm going to put in my best possible effort not treat it like a glorified training run, no matter how short it is you better believe there will be a taper in there. The length of the taper will vary from a couple of days to two weeks depending on the length of the race.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

I've never seen a training plan with a taper for anything other than a marathon. When dealing with training plans for shorter runs, including the half, there's no particular need for a taper because the stress that you're putting your body through doesn't benefit from a taper.

It might be help to set up an account over at runnersworld.com so you can access

Drop in some data and fiddle with the pages that generate a training plan for various distances and you can get an idea of how to change a training manages the miles in the final weeks.

I have never seen a plan for any distance that didn't include a taper. The length of said taper / rest period is dependant on the volume of training occurring prior to the race. So for a marathon you would start your taper 2-3 weeks out from the race, For a 10K you would cut back a few days prior to the race.

I would recommend a couple short, but fast runs early the week of the race. Then a short easy run 3 days out. Two full days of rest leading up to race. I would eat a normal diet with a small increase in carb intake.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I smashed my PR! got my 10k in for 59:53, previous time 1hr 4mins! rested for two days prior to yesterday!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • ATT949
    Options
    thanks guys! I smashed my PR! got my 10k in for 59:53, previous time 1hr 4mins! rested for two days prior to yesterday!

Well done!
  • ATT949
    Options

I have never seen a plan for any distance that didn't include a taper. The length of said taper / rest period is dependant on the volume of training occurring prior to the race. So for a marathon you would start your taper 2-3 weeks out from the race, For a 10K you would cut back a few days prior to the race.

I would recommend a couple short, but fast runs early the week of the race. Then a short easy run 3 days out. Two full days of rest leading up to race. I would eat a normal diet with a small increase in carb intake.

I took a few minutes to see if I could find a reference to a taper for a race shorter than a marathon but I was able to find it.

It's not just a function "everyone's a special snowflake" mindset that I suspected it was — I had a suspicion that "tapering for a 10k" was one of the many definitions have been changed so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. While I do believe that to be a contributing factor, it turns out that there are sources in both the popular and the scientific realms that consider a few days of reduced effort prior to a race as a "taper".

In addition to being mentioned on a couple of pages at Runner's World, Noakes writes "Surprisingly, few authors have discussed the importance of tapering for 10- to 21-km races. None of the programs of Galloway, Daniels, or Pfitzinger advocate any taper before races of these distances." (Tim Noakes, MD, "The Lore of Running", page 580)

Between you good folks and those sources, I'm a convert.