Week 5 Day 3 Not so good.

Options
eenorris
eenorris Posts: 4 Member
This is my second time for couch to 5k program. I had wonderful success the first time, but became busy and did not make time to keep it up. BIG MISTAKE. I am stuck on week 5 day 3. I have tried twice to jog for 20 min, but do not make it. I can do the 8 min jogs and then a little more after the second 5 min walk. Uhh. Frustrated. I am jogging on the treadmill this time instead of outdoors. This way I can get it done and watch the kids at the same time. Not going to use the kids as an excuse any more!
I am going to give it a go again today! I guess something is better than nothing.

Replies

• KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Why do you stop? What is going through your head at that time?
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 tries. The third time I slowed from a 4.5 to a 4.3 and it did the trick. Well that and I didn't want to re-attempt anymore...
    Good question about the mindset too, I am my own worst enemy.
    Good luck!
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is my second time for couch to 5k program. I had wonderful success the first time, but became busy and did not make time to keep it up. BIG MISTAKE. I am stuck on week 5 day 3. I have tried twice to jog for 20 min, but do not make it. I can do the 8 min jogs and then a little more after the second 5 min walk. Uhh. Frustrated. I am jogging on the treadmill this time instead of outdoors. This way I can get it done and watch the kids at the same time. Not going to use the kids as an excuse any more!
    I am going to give it a go again today! I guess something is better than nothing.

a friend who did C25K & has subsequently run 1/2 marathons and got me onto C25K advised me not to repeat days and just move onto the next 1. of course being the determined me i am i have repeated 2 days, once in week 1 and once in week 4. gave me a boost in confidence so in a nut shell - keep trying
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Why do you stop? I am doing Week 6, Day 2 tomorrow. I have always done every second as told. A year ago I wouldn't of walked up the street if I didn't have to.

I tell myself its just as much if not more mental then physical.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down. Don't worry about time, just work on getting the runs done. That helped me a lot!
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The thing is with treadmills is your body can't naturally slow down, so when you feel like you want to stop just drop the speed a bit.
    Tell yourself its a mental thing, you have done this before, you CAN and WILL do it again.
    The next time you go for it, believe in yourself and be proud of every step you do.
    Good luck, and well done for being a good role model for your kids.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well done you! It sounds like to me you are determined to get through this hurdle. I have just completed c25k wk 4, run 3. Like you, I am running on the treadmil (5.5- 5.6) and find when Im flagging I reduce speed a little, in particular making sure I go slow enough (btween 3.8-4.2) to 'rest' properly in between running (you still need to push yourself, but also its a very individual program where you should listen to your own body and its uniqueness).

I agree with some of the other comments, that you CAN do it, be confident, be proud, you ARE motivated and determined- a positive mental attitude goes a long, long way... I used to row in a gig boat and it certainly wasnt my fitness that got me through it (!) ... good luck and carry on
  • Mandy_SD
    Mandy_SD Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i just completed Week 5 Day 3 yesterday. It does seem like quite a jump from 8 minutes and I was pretty nervous about it. I agree with everyone on here about slowing down. It's not about going fast it's about building endurance. I jog at 4.1 ( i can walk faster) on the treadmill. Good luck, you'll make it!
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    I can walk faster than I can run too! I look at it this way: I'm learning to run. First I need to be able to run for 30 minutes, which is what this program does for you. I'll work on speed after my body is used to running for lengths of time.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Hi,

wondered how it was going? have you managed to 'break through' to wk5 session 3 yet or have you repeated wk5 1 & 2....
    Im starting wk5 run2 today, and am getting excited/nervous about the challenge! I hope you are making good headway with your routine
    By the way, I think jogging for 8 minutes x2 is excellent progress and you should feel good about that! Im looking forward to trying this later today...

Added info for c25k: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

'The pace of the nine-week running plan has been tried and tested by thousands of new runners, so you can trust the programme.

You can, however, repeat any one of the weeks until you feel physically ready to move on to the next podcast'.

The other piece of advice they quote is that you MUST have a rest day in between each run...just a thought.

Good luck
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options

I was dreading week 5 day 3, I repeated week four twice and day one and two of week 5 twice and wasn't going to move on anytime soon, but I woke up this morning and told myself I could do it. That was it, I did it and didn't feel liek I was dying like I was on day 2 week 5 when I said "this is all you can do" Its all mental for me, good luck though!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great job, Amber! That run is one of the biggest hurdles of the program. If you've done that run, you are capable of finishing the 9 weeks.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great job, Amber! That run is one of the biggest hurdles of the program. If you've done that run, you are capable of finishing the 9 weeks.

funny this is exactly what i was telling myself last night when i ran week 6 day 1 - i thought i've managed to jog 20mins non stop - 8mins is just a matter or not even thinking about it. needless to say i ran 5mins and it was over before i knew it.
  • eenorris
    eenorris Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completed week 5 day 3 (out door with no problem). It is a mental thing being on the treadmill. I am ready for week 6 day 3. I can do it!!! It is hard on the treadmill to find the right speed. I know my body is ready for 25 minutes. I have jogged at least 5 days a week since beginning. It is a war in my mind. Thanks for all the help.
    Emily
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Emily, thanks for the update! Great job on your success.

One trick I use on the treadmill is to have a fan blowing at me. The air moving over my body makes me feel like I'm going fast outside and gives me a better sense of accomplishment for my exertion.