Signing up for that first 5K

Options
TrishaRN_74
TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
OK...so I just finished W3D2 today and I feel pretty good. There is a local 5K coming up at the end of April that I am thinking about running with my step-son and his mom (yes, we're cool like that). I will be just finishing week 6 at the time of the 5K. Too soon or should I just go for it? I know at the very least I can walk it (probably faster than many can run it as I typically walk 4.0-4.5 mph), but I'm a little scared... Thoughts? Encouragement? Help??? :huh: :ohwell: :noway: :frown: :indifferent:

Replies

• NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5K tomorrow, though my group are all walkers. I say go for it. If you can't run it, you can walk it. Why not?
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My first 5k last summer was about 6 weeks into the c25k program. My goal was to finish with a reasonable time. I ran most of the race taking walk breaks when needed. I tried to maintain a distance with runners in front of me on the second half of the race which helped me improve my time over my training runs. It was nice to get the race experience and perform better than expected. Bought new running shoes because I felt confident I would continue running....
  • TrishaRN_74
    Options
    I have my first 5K tomorrow, though my group are all walkers. I say go for it. If you can't run it, you can walk it. Why not?

Good luck tomorrow!!!!
  • TrishaRN_74
    Options
    Bought new running shoes because I felt confident I would continue running....

And did you....continue running?
  • JennChamb
    JennChamb Posts: 55
    Options
    Go for it! As said above if you can't run it then walk. Do what you can and just finish it :) you can do it.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Because you already walk so fast, you will probably be able to run the whole thing. If not, you can walk some, too. But...set it in your mind that you are going to run it. I bet you will! Have fun with your running buddies. :)
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    yup, just go for it! :)
  • Angelsrose12
    Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I am only W2D2 today, but I am already thinking about when I might do my first 5k. I think you have a good plan in place, to not worry about running the entire thing and to take breaks when needed. With that good attitude and the additional training you have before then, I bet you will do great!
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, just go for it. I've done a couple and I take my little gymboss with me and just do jog walk cycles. Kinda like an extended c25k day. It's fun, you'll enjoy it!