Reserves + Question for my MA's

Options
Tempe729
Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
So for my contract I signed up for 4 years active duty & 4 years reserve... I'm going to bring up the subject with my recruiter when I see him tomorrow for the DEP-meeting, but I was curious if anyone is in the Reserves or knows what it entails? (is it still 2 weekends a month & 1 week a year of training, and you lead a civilian life in the meantime...?)

Also, in Regards to MA... or Boot Camp in general.

When do they offer specialized/sub-jobs? I'm going in as a MA but I want to specialize in the K9 unit (since I have a background training police and search & rescue dogs, as well as a few other things.. I'm fairly certain if they have a position I can get into it) but since it's a sub-category of MA I have to wait and try to get it while in boot camp or maybe after A-school?

Idk... I'm going to pose these questions to my recruiter, I was just curious if anyone has had any experience going into one major field, but then going into a more specialized section of that field during/after boot camp.... or if anyone is/has been/knows someone, in the Reserves and what it entails.

:flowerforyou:
Thanks!
~Cassidy

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Cassidy-

Unfortunately getting a specialization within a rate isn't always as easy as that. You will go to A school and learn the basic MA rate like all MAs. Depending on what orders look like, sometimes, handler orders are open for those straight out of A school. I know two people in my class were picked, however, this is not always the case and should not be completely relied upon.

Most handlers I know get orders by showing interest in being a handler in their first/second command. Work hard on your MA qualifications i.e. patrolman, dispatch, armory etc, and work off time at the kennels and you can drop a packet to get orders to K9 school. Make sure evals are good, you know your job and show interest, this will help the chain of command see you are interested, and keep your PT scores up.

Basically, from the get go at A school do your best PT wise and on tests as well. Score well on the OC test, this determines who gets to pick their orders (out of what is available) and who gets stuck with orders.
  • jenwoods87
    jenwoods87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    And also the reserves part of your contract is inactive reserve. You are a civilian with no military duties at all. If the need arises, they can call you back to active duty. But that is very very rare. So it is not like the normal reserves you think of.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    And also the reserves part of your contract is inactive reserve. You are a civilian with no military duties at all. If the need arises, they can call you back to active duty. But that is very very rare. So it is not like the normal reserves you think of.

Yup. IRR-Inactive Ready Reserves. You muster once a year, are supposed to stay drug free, in shape, and uniforms up to date 'just in case' but you aren't drilling and mustering once a month-it's still an option though.
    However,before the end of your active duty part of the contract you will submit PTS where you can try and reenlst as AD, FTS (basically active), or you can try and do the weekend warrior deal. There are a few different options for fulfilling the second half of your 8 year contract.
  • Tempe729
    Options
    My Recruiter pretty much confirmed everything you both said :happy:

I'm thinking, once my initial 4 years of active duty is up going to reenlist and stay in the reserves (the "1-weekend a month, 2-weeks a year" version) Or I may go another couple years active,especially if I can get my post in one of Washington's 4 bases.. Since that is where I want to live the rest of my life anyways.

But I'm definently going to study my *kitten* off in boot camp and A-School (only 7 weeks! Woot!) so I can get first pick of school. I went shooting while on vacation & for never firing a pistol before, did a really good job! (only ever fired shotguns, and that was 12 years ago for hunting haha!)

Thank You ladies for your help & responses! :flowerforyou: Much appreciated!
    ~Cassidy
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Yeah, I'd never shot until boot camp. I was so nervous and flustered with the RDCs and line coaches and everyone around us. Eventually I passed.

Your orders are going to depend upon what they have open while you're at A school. The only orders that I can almost say without a doubt will be Bangor, and they are doing those as 4 year orders out of A school. Not sure about other bases, I know GTMO was 30 month orders, my first was 24 months.

Washington is always open, just don't stick all your eggs in one basket. I know it's close to home but keep an open mind. Good luck with everything and congrats on the weight loss and joining :)
  • Tempe729
    Options
    Yeah, I'd never shot until boot camp. I was so nervous and flustered with the RDCs and line coaches and everyone around us. Eventually I passed.

Your orders are going to depend upon what they have open while you're at A school. The only orders that I can almost say without a doubt will be Bangor, and they are doing those as 4 year orders out of A school. Not sure about other bases, I know GTMO was 30 month orders, my first was 24 months.

Washington is always open, just don't stick all your eggs in one basket. I know it's close to home but keep an open mind. Good luck with everything and congrats on the weight loss and joining :)

Thank you! :happy: Bangor is my first choice and would be awesome... I loved being on the base there!

I'm so happy & excited to be in & under the body fat requirement for females.. I don't know how long it'll take to get to the 155lbs i'm supposed to be for my height. but idc! I'm excited to be in and to finally start my life! In less then 6 months I'll be graduating from A-School & already have stuff in mind to do on leave with my best friend & my mum & brother (provided he can get a weekend off the Naval Academy)

I'm so happy I've met you and everyone on here! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • ejohndrow
    Options

Thank you! :happy: Bangor is my first choice and would be awesome... I loved being on the base there!

I'm so happy & excited to be in & under the body fat requirement for females.. I don't know how long it'll take to get to the 155lbs i'm supposed to be for my height. but idc! I'm excited to be in and to finally start my life! In less then 6 months I'll be graduating from A-School & already have stuff in mind to do on leave with my best friend & my mum & brother (provided he can get a weekend off the Naval Academy)

I'm so happy I've met you and everyone on here! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

No problem. If you have any rate specific questions just let me know. I won't tell you everything-I feel that there are certain things you just need to go through and learn on your own, but still, always feel free to ask.