Crispy Chicken

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
Found a recipe for sweet and sour crispy chicken that is gluten free.

It is made with corn flour/ starch and works really well.

Take two chicken fillets and dice them then marinade in 3 tablespoons of water mixed with 3 tsp of flour. Once they are marinaded toss then chicken in more flour and then deep fry.

Probably not the healthiest but tasted great and looked good.

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You can also do a crispy coating with egg/milk then cornstarch then finely chopped nuts (I like pecans best). Can be baked, so healthier than deep fat fried :smile:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Unfortunately we cant have egg or milk in our house but in the past I have used them. Will try baking them next time and using almonds sound really nice especially as the kids love nuts.

I know cornflakes can make a brilliant coating too but it hard to find some with all our other allergies/intolerances that we can use.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    We've found a few different rice based coatings (corn free) that work really well too, not sure the brands. Each of our 3 grocery stores seems to have a different one. The kids are so happy to have chicken nuggets again. And the rice coatings will get crispy in the oven, just like a nugget made with corn flake crumbs or panko would. Deep fried is soooo much tastier though lol.
  • allshebe
    Options
    Frying requires someone's attention, though - baking, you throw it together and go do something else for a period of time (an hour or so seems typical). Regarding the eggs and milk - I would guess there are other options to get the coating to stick - plain water "might" be enough to turn the corn or other starch into "glue" for the nuts. Suggestions?
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I use GF Rice Krispies, as my Grandmother always made the best chicken with rice krispies. I've tried other ways, and I just can't get it to work!

I've used Dairy free milk (almond milk), plus some oil, and omitted the egg before and had no problem.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    This sounds yoummy, what can be used in place of cornstarch or rice? I have sensitivities to both.
  • allshebe
    Options
    tapioca starch? potato starch? (Haven't tried either, but it's the nature of starch to be "gluey" when wet.)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    This sounds yoummy, what can be used in place of cornstarch or rice? I have sensitivities to both.

The recipe also said potato starch so that should work.