Anyone take a 10% margin of error off their average TDEE?

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
I don't know why I'm constantly stuck on this issue. I've asked several other people who have a BMF if they bother with the 10% margin of error and they typically don't. They seem to be having success.

My average TDEE, according to my BMF, is 2900. I've been taking 10% off that number and then taking another 15% deficit off of that.

Maybe that's too much? I'm not sure.

What do you all do? Not worry about that 10% margin of error or do you work it into your numbers?

Replies

• MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the 10% margin of error. I have never taken it in to account when figuring my numbers. I try to have a deficit between 250-350 or slightly more a day and I have had good results. BMF busted me out of my 6 months or so bouncing around the same few pounds.

I don't average my TDEE and take a percentage off of that anymore since I received my BMF in February. I see what BMF predicts my burn for that day will be and I minus 250-300 from that # and that is what I eat. I make sure to burn at least the amount predicted...some times I burn more or less hence I may have a deficit of 250 or 350 or a bit more. It has been working really well for me.

Edit -- I typically average around a 300 calorie deficit....looking at my BMF data.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Thanks for your response! Looks like you've had success too!!

Bottom line sounds like I don't need to worry about that 10%! Maybe that's why my weight has been stalling here and there and coming off so slowly!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have never taken it into account. Lost 20 lbs. with a daily deficit between 500 and 600 calories and have been maintaining for over 6 months staying within less than 100 calories of what it says I burn daily. My average burn is about 2250 calories per day, so that's a lot less than 10%.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have never taken it into account. Lost 20 lbs. with a daily deficit between 500 and 600 calories and have been maintaining for over 6 months staying within less than 100 calories of what it says I burn daily. My average burn is about 2250 calories per day, so that's a lot less than 10%.

But sure.y it's UP to 10% and it could be up or down. If they knew it was a definite 10% over calculation, then they would change it. I presume its up sometimes and down other, depending on you as an individual and what type of activity you do
  • hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    What if you shoot for a 500 cal deficit? That is an easy round number and it is between 15-20% based on your average of 2900. And if you are hungry and have a great burn day, give yourself permission to eat a little more?

I was losing at a 500 calorie deficit, but have had a few cheat days lately! :) My average burn is around 2800 so pretty close to yours.

Good luck!
    ~Heather
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Thank you so much for the additional replies! I never even considered that the 10% margin of error could be up OR down!! Guess I was worried over it for nothing!

I think aiming for no more than a 500 cal deficit would be wise for me!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I don't take it into account.