April 10th Challenge

Options
Lets move to the nutritional side for this challenge. Interpret this as you will. Make a healthy meal for yourself and/or your family. Please explain what you made and why it was healthy. = 1 large

Ok bonus time walk/run/jog 2 miles--or bike 5 miles--or swim 10 laps= extra large

Good luck
The Don

Replies

• phenetra
    phenetra Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I got this one
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like this one, it'll get my butt to the grocery store because I'm a slacker!!!
  • mznortiz
    mznortiz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey Don,
    Can I sub an hour of aerobics for the extra challenge? It's my zumba night:-)
  • mznortiz
    mznortiz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Creating this again this morning. We are kicking our fast food breakfast sandwich habit. Each morning I use egg whites, /high fiber english muffins, and low fat thin sliced cheese (fresh spinach for me & hubby) along with some fresh fruit. My hubby and kids are loving it. It's more than half the calories and fat of the fast food variety. This weekend, I am creating a big batch and putting them in the freezer.
    Tonight's dinner is a chicken stir fry with fresh multi color peppers:-)
  • Kari089
    Kari089 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well this worked out great! I just made one of my favorite meals -Orange chicken. But I made my own healthy version of it. I didn't use sugar, only liquid sweetener, used low sodium soy sauce and instead of juice from concentrate I used an entire orange cut into small pieces. I had it with a small cup of brown rice instead of the usual white.
    Because I didn't have chicken breast meat I made an egg white omelet (Japanese style) and had that instead. :) It's less than half the calories, fat and sugar of the regular recipe but still delicious.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge!

Breakfast: Peanutbutter Banana Smoothie
    1/2 frozen banana, 8 oz. light soy milk, 1 Tbsp. PB2, 1 Tbsp. ground flax, and 1 scoop protein powder

Some may look at that and cringe. Lol! But it's just the right balance of macros and vitamins to start my day. And it sure beats the 20 oz. of diet coke that I previously called breakfast! :)

Looking forward to seeing some great recipes on here today. Keep em comin Sopranos family!
  • mwoods5716
    mwoods5716 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I got this
  • admmommy
    admmommy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Made my kids and I oatmeal. The oatmeal had old fashion oats cooked with water and I had 1 tsp. of light brown sugar and half a cup of blackberries. It was delicious!
  • jenn2403
    jenn2403 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just finished my walk, 3.2 miles & I'm off to make lobster & spinach pot pies that are only 300 calories and super yummy!!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Peppercorn and Garlic ~~Pork ribs and Potatoes~~

60 oz of bonein country style pork ribs
    6 large russet potatoes
    1 can chicken broth
    Peppercorn Garlic McCormick marinade dry

Wash and dry potatoes, cut into 8 wedges then cut the wedges in half. Mix dry marinade, chicken broth, potatoes and pork ribs in the crockpot. Let simmer for 8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. Serves 8.

Serves with a simple iceberg salad next to 0 calories lol.

Calories 524
    Protein 49 g
  • mrscruz625
    mrscruz625 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    YAY! I got this one!
    Lunch:

Dole baby Spinach
    Dole Spring mix
    1 tbsp cranberries
    1 Tbsp sliced raw almonds
    1 tbsp wishbone balsamic basil dressing made with EVOO
    4 oz baked chicken breast

(i usually have 1/4 c athenos feta cheese but forgot it at home....might run to the store and get it. I sometimes add fresh strawberries too..YUM-O)

Big salad for about 300 calories...
  • Sunsama
    Sunsama Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie, this challenge is hard for me, purely because I live with 6 people. Cooking healthy and having a grocery bill under 500 is really hard =\ But I will make my hubby and I a healthy lunch! Have a half a head of lettuce that needs eating, so will make us a yummy salad. Will put grilled chicken in it for the added protein as well, along with some peppers and no croutons (his favorite, which bumps the calories WAY up! >.<) Will add some black beans, corn, and a dab of bbq sauce for a whopping 320 calories, 26g protein, 14g iron and 7g fiber.

If I had more money, I would make a delicious Sweet and Spicy Wrap. The sauce is made from cucumber, mayo and spices, mixed with chicken wrapped in a tortilla. VERY delicious and if you use the right tortillas and mayo, healthy as well =)
  • Tymeshia
    Tymeshia Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me!

omelet with mushrooms and cheese
    5 silver dollar pancakes with strawberries on top
    2 pieces of turkey bacon
    8oz of orange juice
    calories total-358

veggies-1 cup of mushrooms
    Fruit- 1 cup of strawberries
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do today's challenge tomorrow hopefully on top of tomorrow's challenge. It's my day with my baby niece and it's a Cheerio day (she loves them and shares with everyone.)

Jamie
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My breakfast was Refrigerator Oatmeal (1/4 c steel cut oats, 1/4 c greek yogurt plain, 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk, 1 Tablespoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon cinnamon) to which I added one scoop vanilla protein powder and 1/2 c fresh strawberries. For supper I have a pork roast in the crockpot and I covered it with sliced apples and onions with some cinnamon and chili powder. My family will have baked potato and I will have mashed turnips. We'll probably also have peas and carrots.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I also did a healthy breakfast.
    I sauteed peppers, onion and mushrooms in some coconut oil then added egg whites and one whole egg. (I used more whites for me to be lower calorie but one with yolk to add some yummy flavor)

The whole family had a healthy breakfast instead of poptarts or junk
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just finished my walk, 3.2 miles & I'm off to make lobster & spinach pot pies that are only 300 calories and super yummy!!

OK, post the recipe!!! This sounds AWESOME!!! :love:
  • admmommy
    admmommy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Don......I did this today could this count as a bonus?

◾Warm up Circuit: 3 x 1 minute Running in Place/1 minute Clapping Jacks/15 second rest
    ◾Cardio Explosion Circuit: 3 x 1 minute Tuck Jumps/1 minute Toe Touchers/1 minute Squat Twists/30 second rest
    ◾Power Cardio Circuit: 3 x 1 Walking Push ups/1 minute Up/Down Planks/2 minutes Lunge Kicks/30 second rest
    ◾Speed Cardio Circuit: 3 x 30 second Burpees/2 minutes Speed Squats/1 minute Mountain Climbers/ 45 second rest
    ◾Cardio Explosion Circuit: 3 x 1 minute Tuck Jumps/1 minute Toe Touchers/1 minute Squat Twists/30 second rest
    ◾Speed Cardio Circuit: 3 x 2 minute Side Shuffles/1 minute Running Zombies/30 seconds High Knees

If so, good....I am beat!!!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Prepped 2 pineapples to freeze for smoothies. I usually make a smoothie for my nephews every morning with my fruit!
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    So mine and my husbands dinner tonight is peppered lean sirlon with a side salad. Simple under 400 calories, high in protein and low in fat. I make my own salad dressing with greek yogurt (0%) and fresh dill. So yum. I tend to add hot sauce to my steak but it comes in at 15 cals for a tbsp.

As to the rest of the challenge, I did over 2 miles on the elliptical, 100 sit ups, side twists (weighted) and oblique crunches (standing). Im back in the game....