nutrition

Options
Hello,
I have a few question.
Im starting Stronlifts 5x5 this evening. I have been lifting off and on Since Jan 2011 and have been going strong lifting 3 days a week since Jan 1st this year, only taking 1 week off from weights since then.
I have noticed that the nutrition includes fruit and no carbs except after workout. This is worrisome to me because fruit had sugar.
I have followed Kris Gethen's nutrition since day one of lifting. I have the motivation, I have the determination...Just lack knowledge when it comes to fueling my body for muscle. Since Jan 1st I allow myself 1 free nutrition day-always Saturday- but the last couple weeks I have allowed Friday night to creep in as free also. I'm not concerned with my intake on the weekend, I know I'm just setting myself back by doing so and I don't mind. I was eating like I was competing and I know I don't have to be that strict on myself because I rock during the week.
If you could help me understand alittle bit more before starting the nutrition, I would greatly appreciate it.
Do you do the nutrition that is recommended in the stronlifts 5x5 program?
Thanks so much for your time

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just eat to a reasonable caloric deficit (assuming you are looking to lose weight). Hit your macros. Eat mainly nutritious foods, include treats if you want, but you do not have to restrict any foods or food groups unless you have a medical condition or they are triggering and cause adherence issues. Do not worry about macronutrient timing. By far the most important thing to 'fuel your body for muscle' is to eat in a way that gives you the most energy and allows you to hit your macros.
  • camarogirl2011
    Options
    I'm Not looking to lose weight. I want to make sure I am not losing muscle either. I usually average a 40-20-40..
    Started stronglifts 5x5 last evening and also took measurements. I will give it 4 weeks to see what it does for me :-)
    Since Jan 1, 2013 I have been able to maintain my current weight only losing .2# while bringing body fat down 7.3% (was 29.8 and current is 22.5%) Have put on 10.2# of lean muscle (was101.4 now 111.6)
    As you can see, I've worked really hard for my gains and I'm nervous about the whole fruit thing and no carbs except after workout.

Last night wasn't even worth calling a workout, I still had plenty to give.... I Am squatting 75# so going back down to 45 was a breeze.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So you are looking to lose body fat? Maintain BF%?

Ignore the fruit and no carbs except after your workout idea. When you eat your carbs will not cause you to lose muscle.