Things you cannot live without during a whole30

Options
SnicciFit
SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
Here's a list of things I couldn't make it through a Whole30 without:

1) Homemade mayo & ranch - I use the ranch for salads and dipping raw veggies. The mayo is great with steak or chicken and for making chicken or tuna salad or deviled eggs

2) Canned full fat coconut milk - use in my coffee!

3) Coconut oil - I cook with this a lot. Fry my eggs in it...etc.

4) Eggs! - We purchase 4-5 dozen a week. I use them to make mayo, eat them for breakfast and hard boil them for snacks.

5) Crockpot - I rely heavily on my (two!) crockpots to get meals cooked with little to no effort. Also, they are great for making bone broth!

What are some things that YOU can't live without during your Whole30?

Replies

• MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    1) Sweet potatoes: For carbs after workouts, and also to get me through the sugar cravings in the first week or so. Baked with some coconut oil and a spinkle of cinnamon on top. Heavenly.

2) Quick protein fixes: hard boiled eggs, meatballs, homemade jerky, mini egg bakes. Something quick I can throw in my lunch bag if I get hungry in between meals.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

1) Homemade mayo & ranch - I use the ranch for salads and dipping raw veggies. The mayo is great with steak or chicken and for making chicken or tuna salad or deviled eggs

I haven't tried either of these yet....maybe this weekend!
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Day 10 and I could not do without:

-Air pump sprayer for my olive oil
    -Having veggies cleaned/prepped at all times for a quick stir-fry.
    -Sweet potatoes
    -The Internet/MFP/Pinterest, etc for recipes & ideas. Seriously!!

I thought I'd really be suffering by not having any dairy or my favorite protein powder but I'm doing fine! I didn't realize how much of a crutch things like yogurt, cheese & protein shakes had become.
  • tantinah
    tantinah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that helped me
    1) having kale, chard, collards cooked and packed in boxes in the fridge. Then all I had to do was find a protein and add the veggie to it.

2) Kirkland (costco brand) turkey breast (doesn't have nitrates), this was my go to lunch protein

3)my cookbooks (Well Fed, Paleo comfort foods, Practical Paleo)

4) Lettuce from the farmers market! It tasted so good and fresh. I am not a big fan of salads unless it is really fresh so goingto the farmers market and getting this really encouraged me to eat more salads
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My pressure cooker, I bought in about a month in to paleo and LOVE it.

The internet, marksdailyapple, nomnompaleo and other sites.

The support I get here and from a friend who is paleo.

My crock pot.

Bacon.

I'd love the ranch recipe!
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Here's my ranch (and mayo) recipe:

http://mypathtopaleo.blogspot.com/2012/07/traveling-perfect-ranch-dressingdip.html

Everyone is always bragging about these pressure cookers. Maybe I should get one, eh?
  • bananasandbarbells
    bananasandbarbells Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Avocado and salsa! I use these two in literally EVERYTHING! Eggs, chicken, and fruit for sweet cravings. Im just in my second week but I found that these things NEED to be in the house because I eat them daily.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    prepping meals in advance (sundays I make all breakfast & lunches for the week as well as bake sweets, roast cauliflour & mushrooms - so my dinner prep is very short & easy)and having hard boiled eggs available for when I can't get to lunch.
  • sunny145
    sunny145 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The above mentioned mayo
    Trader Joe's tuna (no soy and only $1.69/can)
    KAME Coconut milk (compliant and doesn't separate like other canned coconut milks)
    Applegate Uncured grass fed organic hot dogs
    Bubbies Sauerkraut

I'm going to try the ranch dressing recipe-- I've been missing salads because I don't really care for straight EVO and vinegar. Thanks, SnicciFit
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    The above mentioned mayo
    Trader Joe's tuna (no soy and only $1.69/can)
    KAME Coconut milk (compliant and doesn't separate like other canned coconut milks)
    Applegate Uncured grass fed organic hot dogs
    Bubbies Sauerkraut

I'm going to try the ranch dressing recipe-- I've been missing salads because I don't really care for straight EVO and vinegar. Thanks, SnicciFit

I have recently fallen in love with Bubbies Kraut. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

You're welcome!
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot, avocados!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Oh, HEAVENS. If you've not tried making the ISWF's recipes for mayo, ranch, and their avocado dressing - DO. So, SO good. I just made the ranch for the first time today and wanted to just shove my entire face into the bowl to lick it clean. :D
  • Brooke1190
    Options
    1. Eggs
    2. Sweet potatoes
    3. Eggs
    4. Sweet potatoes
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1. Eggs
    2. Sweet potatoes
    3. Eggs
    4. Sweet potatoes

^^^THIS!! So true!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Went to Whole Foods yesterday to pick up some staples that I know will be much needed.

My purchase included:
    lemons
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    almond butter
    sweet potatoes

I'll have to make it to Costco to get the eggs and a lot of my meat. I'm super excited (yet still scared) to start!!
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    after week 1 almost complete, i can say cashews. i liked them before, but i REALLY love them now lol. plus lemons for my water. i have had no issues drinking water all week using fresh lemons. very good. lookin forward to week 2 :)
  • eahouston
    eahouston Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing at how many people have mentioned sweet potatoes. I'm going through them like CRAZY! In fact, I went to a different grocery store than usual yesterday because I feel like the guy who weighs my sweet potatoes every few days at my local market might start to wonder about me and my sweet potato habits ;)
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are amazing too. We usually roast them, Sunday I made a mash and put a little coconut milk, ghee and cinnamon in them. Frickin fabulous. My boyfriend said he should have hid them because I had taken them to work yesterday and they were gone already ;) Now I "HAVE" to make more according to him...haha
  • auntlooloo
    Options
    Great suggestions!